What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

SBD82

Coach
Ok. I think 1. Mundine 2. Soward light years 3. Barrett (disastrous playmaker but pretty decent running game, outstanding defence and a good kicker.) light years 4. Widdop

But don't take it personally please. I think he will do fine at fullback. I just think he was a f**king terrible playmaker and even McFooknuckle has gotten it through his thick skull. It's time you faced reality as well.

No deflecting at all. I have shown the performance of the team over the last 5 years. Since Widdop was signed and paid as the marquee playmaker he wanted to be. If you can nominate any positives directly related to Widdop being our playmaker, I will take back "unmitigated" disaster but at this point it remains "unmitigated".
I'm still waiting for any evidence that widdop is an unmitigated disaster as a playmaker.

Maybe try his try assist, linebreak assist or kicking stats? I mean, they are the key requirements of a playmaker, yes?

DragonJ

Juniors
Your gonna make Vas Angry....Don't poke the bear.
If you want to create a thread to talk about whoever I am or anything else about me, feel free to start a new thread about me. If I see anything I feel strongly or relatively strongly about mentioned there, I will reply. But don't be like @muzby. One is already too many. Stay on topic please. Besides me, @TruSaint also doesn't like it when we get off topic in regard to anything to do with Widdop. He has a voodoo doll for anyone who even questions Widdop's (major) role in the fiasco of the last 6 years.
Ha. Can't help myself sometimes.

To be honest though, I wouldn't mind having the real vas back. As annoying as he was, at least it was original material.
Please don't encourage them. The same applies for you. If you like, feel free to create a thread to talk about me. Otherwise, please stay on topic.

I'm still waiting for any evidence that widdop is an unmitigated disaster as a playmaker.

Maybe try his try assist, linebreak assist or kicking stats? I mean, they are the key requirements of a playmaker, yes?

Those stats you mentioned are basically meaningless. If JDB runs hard into the line, draws 4 defenders, offloads to Widdop who runs through the line untouched and then inexplicably kicks for McDonald requiring a super effort for him to ground the ball just inside of the touch and deadball lines, rather than pass to guy immediately in or outside of him to stroll over untouched, it goes down as a line break and try assist for Widdop.

No, the best measure is that he was recruited as a marquee playmaker and stated that is what he wanted to be and ever since the team has been a rabble far more often than not. There are zero positives to take out of it as far as I can see. If you can nominate some, it will go from an unmitigated disaster to only a disaster but for the moment it remains 'unmitigated'.

Nothing against your mutual hero and moral giant. I think he will go well at fullback. He should have been playing there for the last 5 years. A decent coach would have seen this after a few rounds. That is, seen that it clearly wasn't his game to be a dominant playmaker but that he could be very capable in a different role.

But his salary should have reflected this reality.

SBD82

Coach
Those stats you mentioned are basically meaningless. If JDB runs hard into the line, draws 4 defenders, offloads to Widdop who runs through the line untouched and then inexplicably kicks for McDonald requiring a super effort for him to ground the ball just inside of the touch and deadball lines, rather than pass to guy immediately in or outside of him to stroll over untouched, it goes down and a line break and try assist for Widdop.

No, the best measure is that he was recruited as a marquee playmaker and stated that is what he wanted to be and ever since the team has been a rabble far more often than not. There are zero positives to take out of it as far as I can see. If you can nominate some, it will go from an unmitigated disaster to only a disaster but for the moment it remains 'unmitigated'.

Nothing against your mutual hero and moral giant. I think he will go well at fullback. He should have been playing there for the last 5 years. A decent coach would have seen this after a few rounds. That is, seen that it clearly wasn't his game to be a dominant playmaker but that he could be very capable in a different role.

But his salary should have reflected this reality.
That's the thing though. I think widdop has flaws. Because I don't see through a distorted lens one way or the other.

If you're unable to recognise that, along with his flaws, widdop has positives as a playmaker (and I would say that they outweigh his flaws) then you are not judging fairly.

I'm not delusional enough to think that I will change your mind on widdop. But using terms like "unmitigated disaster" is absurd, and undermines any legitimate arguments that you may have.

TruSaint

Referee
If you want to create a thread to talk about whoever I am or anything else about me, feel free to start a new thread about me. If I see anything I feel strongly or relatively strongly about mentioned there, I will reply. But don't be like @muzby. One is already too many. Stay on topic please. Besides me, @TruSaint also doesn't like it when we get off topic in regard to anything to do with Widdop. He has a voodoo doll for anyone who even questions Widdop's (major) role in the fiasco of the last 6 years.

Still tagging me @DragonJ ...

Thanks so much.

You are really better than Netflix. BTW, how many usernames do you have. Want to keep count for what u call my "voodoo" dolls.

Keep digging into your research, and be sure to tag me so i can have another laugh.

Have a nice day now... The gift that keep on giving. :cool::cool::cool:

DragonJ

Juniors
That's the thing though. I think widdop has flaws. Because I don't see through a distorted lens one way or the other.

If you're unable to recognise that, along with his flaws, widdop has positives as a playmaker (and I would say that they outweigh his flaws) then you are not judging fairly.

I'm not delusional enough to think that I will change your mind on widdop. But using terms like "unmitigated disaster" is absurd, and undermines any legitimate arguments that you may have.
Fine. What are the positives?

DragonJ

Juniors
Running game, passing game, defensive organisation, cover defence. Just to name a few.
Cover defence was good. Nothing to do with playmaking. Running game could be good at fullback. The amount of cross field running when he was in the halves was absurd. Passing game, was very poor for a playmaker. Defensive organization? Like communication in defence? Have to agree to disagree because he was the weakest link in defence.

SBD82

Coach
Cover defence was good. Nothing to do with playmaking. Running game could be good at fullback. The amount of cross field running when he was in the halves was absurd. Passing game, was very poor for a playmaker. Defensive organization? Like communication in defence? Have to agree to disagree because he was the weakest link in defence.
Yes. Like communication. Tariq had a great year with widdop calling the shots outside him. That is partly due to Tariq's talent (and he deserves a lot of credit) but widdop runs the left side defence. "Weakest link in defence" is just another vague throwaway line.

I agree that his running game could be used at fullback. And it's one of the reasons that I think he will do well there. But it's an important aspect of a playmakers arsenal, as it creates doubt.

He's been guilty of running sideways in the past, but that was greatly improved this year.

And his passing game is excellent. His pass selection is not always perfect, particularly in structured plays. But off the cuff he has an excellent knack of getting the ball to where it needs to be.

Old Timer

Coach
You really have NFI about this game whatsoever.
Our Nancy right side defence is horrendous and you keep singling out Widdop on the left so obviously you must have been happy with Hunt, Frizzell, Aitken and Nighty's efforts on that side?
Lafai's reads in goal line defence are questionable at best, turn and chase non existent and the number of times Widdop has to clean up on that side including the in-goal area is substantial.
Go and watch some highlights and try and watch the games carefully so it will at least look like you have some comprehension of what you are rabbiting on about.

DragonJ

Juniors
Yes. Like communication. Tariq had a great year with widdop calling the shots outside him. That is partly due to Tariq's talent (and he deserves a lot of credit) but widdop runs the left side defence. "Weakest link in defence" is just another vague throwaway line.

I agree that his running game could be used at fullback. And it's one of the reasons that I think he will do well there. But it's an important aspect of a playmakers arsenal, as it creates doubt.

He's been guilty of running sideways in the past, but that was greatly improved this year.

And his passing game is excellent. His pass selection is not always perfect, particularly in structured plays. But off the cuff he has an excellent knack of getting the ball to where it needs to be.

Are you sure that is all it is? Have a look at the stats for missed tackles over the last 5 years. Not only total number but % missed.

So after 4 years, our marquee playmaker and captain started running across field less? God have mercy over the poor idiots who run our club and over the club itself. No wonder we have been such a rabble for so long.

What about when he inexplicably kicks, requiring an incredible effort for the winger to score rather than pass for the guy next to him to stroll over untouched? And then have @TruSaint doing cartwheels in his living room while yelling over and over "Gareth Widdop" while I stare incredulously thinking whyTF did he kick that? The number of times such ridiculous options don't pay off isn't recorded in stats but among playmakers, I haven't seen anything like it with any other team. Admittedly I don't follow them closely so there probably are halves at other clubs who are also hopelessly our of their depth in the halves.

Oh, well in that case, without looking at stats but just guessing and of no doubt you will show me I'm wrong in the unlikely event I am, I presume we have had outstanding attacks for the last 5 years! And the % of our tries scored by forwards using brute force is lower than with other teams.

No, I'm sorry but now you have convinced me still more! Widdop in the halves was an unmitigated disaster. I'm sorry if you disagree with me but this is an internet forum.

You really have NFI about this game whatsoever.
Our Nancy right side defence is horrendous and you keep singling out Widdop on the left so obviously you must have been happy with Hunt, Frizzell, Aitken and Nighty's efforts on that side?
Lafai's reads in goal line defence are questionable at best, turn and chase non existent and the number of times Widdop has to clean up on that side including the in-goal area is substantial.
Go and watch some highlights and try and watch the games carefully so it will at least look like you have some comprehension of what you are rabbiting on about.

Hi Old Timer. How are you? Hope you are doing well, making new friends (with impeccable moral credentials) and etc.

So the measure of Widdop being a (good? excellent? ok? not bad?) playmaker is in his ability to organize the defensive line? Maybe that's why he missed so many tackles while in the halves. He was too worried about the lesser moral beings around him.

I respect you opinion on other things as well but I just feel you are overworked with your judging of the moral suitability of the team, coaching staff and head office that you are not thinking clearly about other, less important things.

Last edited:

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Are you sure that is all it is? Have a look at the stats for missed tackles over the last 5 years. Not only total number but % missed.

So after 4 years, our marquee playmaker and captain started running across field less? God have mercy over the poor idiots who run our club and over the club itself. No wonder we have been such a rabble for so long.

What about when he inexplicably kicks, requiring an incredible effort for the winger to score rather than pass for the guy next to him to stroll over untouched? And then have @TruSaint doing cartwheels in his living room while yelling over and over "Gareth Widdop" while I stare incredulously thinking whyTF did he kick that? The number of times such ridiculous options don't pay off isn't recorded in stats but among playmakers, I haven't seen anything like it with any other team. Admittedly I don't follow them closely so there probably are halves at other clubs who are also hopelessly our of their depth in the halves.

Oh, well in that case, without looking at stats but just guessing and of no doubt you will show me I'm wrong in the unlikely event I am, I presume we have had outstanding attacks for the last 5 years! And the % of our tries scored by forwards using brute force is lower than with other teams.

No, I'm sorry but now you have convinced me still more! Widdop in the halves was an unmitigated disaster. I'm sorry if you disagree with me but this is an internet forum.
SO GOOD TO SEE THAT THIS NEW RECRUIT. IE less than one month, HAS A STRANGLEHOLD ON EVERY POST, YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE ...............

Hi Old Timer. How are you? Hope you are doing well, making new friends (with impeccable moral credentials) and etc.

So the measure of Widdop being a (good? excellent? ok? not bad?) playmaker is in his ability to organize the defensive line? Maybe that's why he missed so many tackles while in the halves. He was too worried about the lesser moral beings around him.

I respect you opinion on other things as well but I just feel you are overworked with your judging of the moral suitability of the team, coaching staff and head office that you are not thinking clearly about other, less important things.
i think you need to be congratulated less than 1 month and you already have half of this forum wondering what the f**k your taking .perhaps you need some social life maybe spend some time away from the keyboard .DRAGON J whats the J stand for juvenile maybe or junkie perhaps ...........

Last edited:

DragonJ

Juniors
Firstly, isn't it against the rules to quote someone but change the content of the quote? Secondly, thanks for caring. Sometimes I think the same thing. But at least 95% of my posts are made while at work. That includes this one.

But let me tell you the same thing I have told a few others. If you want to start a thread to talk about me, great! Please do it. If I care about anything one posts there, I'll probably reply. But on this thread, try to stay on topic. Thanks in advance.

SBD82

Coach

And we were so close to having an actual discussion. Shame.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The last 5 years have been an unmitigated disaster!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_NRL_season See who the premiers were.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NRL_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NRL_season See who the premiers were.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NRL_season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NRL_season See who the premiers were.

Not only have we been rubbish, it has seen Souffs emerge as a powerhouse and Shonkies are still a basket case off the field but that is a par for the course. On the field they have also been a powerhouse.

Further proof it is a zero-sum game. Souffs emergence as a financial powerhouse has seen our decline to the point of needing loans from the NRL. Unprecedented success on the field for the Shonkies has corresponded with disaster for us.

There is also the plight of Frizz and JDB (I know the former was a Shonkies Jnr but he came to us before he was an NRL player) who would have been recognized as top forwards years earlier if our halves and outside backs had not been so f**king useless!

There are many people to blame for this.

Bennett for backeneded contracts and for recommending Price. Price for being Price. Doust for sticking with Price. Doust for finally replacing Price with McFooknuckle. McFooknuckle for being McFooknuckle. Doust for sticking with McFooknuckle. Widdop for being recruited as and paid as a marquee playmaker, being made captain by McFooknuckle but failing utterly and hopelessly at being a playmaker and a captain.

Is that enough?

No need to go native on me. I think Widdop will do well at fullback. He won't be one of the best but will be good. It's just in the halves he was f**king useless for us! Without Cronk and Smith directing him around the park like he stated he wanted to do with us.

So replace Drinkwater with Witt. What's the problem?

Excuse the brevity of my riposte, but the “problem” with DrinkwaterWitt is that both were shitacular (sic) halfbacks.

Cooper Cronk is in a entirely different sphere.