What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Card Weekend - reports NRL looking to expand finals to ten teams

Are you in favour of the proposed Wildcard Weekend?

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
Surely you delusions of grandeur could aim a little higher than failed trialist?

Not really. Not with some of the armchair experts I've noted on this site! It was and still is the hardest thing I have ever done! Pissing blood on the train trip after training sessions as an example of how hard the training regime was. But then again,the expert you are,you would know this stuff ? Wouldn't you! ?Perhaps you might know about the training required? Or perhaps not? It seems you have superior knowledge that many players are not good enough for the NRL. Let your expert view continue said the painted on ears and eyes!

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
Not really. Not with some of the armchair experts I've noted on this site! It was and still is the hardest thing I have ever done! pissng blood on thectrsin trip after training sessions an example of hiw hard thectraining regime was. But then again,the expert you are,you would know this stuff ? Wouldn't you! Perhaps you might know about the training required? Or perhaps not? It seems you have superior knowledge that many players are not good for the NRL. Let your expert view continue said the painted on ears and eyes!

What does your therapist say you should do to control your mood swings?

Please heed their advice.

Stallion

First Grade
As long as you were registered with a local club anyone could participate in Raiders trials. It's not really anything special.

I was the player of the year and Best and Fairest of a Newcastle District club. Always wanted to play for the club I trialed for. Met the first grade coach after my first trial. Injured my hand toward the end of that particular trial. Was appointed captain of one of 4 training squads. After two weeks we played Canberra and I was starved of the ball. Understanding it was very cutthroat I got the phone call cutting me on the following Monday. The whole trial experience was uplifting and something I will cherish and not forget. Not disrespect, like the armchair experts dishing out disrespect for players in this discourse. Shamefull but par for the course from the "experts "

Canard

Immortal
I was the player of the year and Best and Fairest of a Newcastle District club. Always wanted to play for the club I trialed for. Met the first grade coach after my first trial. Injured my hand toward the end of that particular trial. Was appointed captain of one of 4 training squads. After two weeks we played Canberra and I was starved of the ball. Understanding it was very cutthroat I got the phone call cutting me on the following Monday. The whole trial experience was uplifting and something I will cherish and not forget. Not disrespect, like the armchair experts dishing out disrespect for players in this discourse. Shamefull but par for the course from the "experts "

I'll have you know, that I was Captain of the Booval Swifts U/13 B's.

unforgiven

Bench
Not really. Not with some of the armchair experts I've noted on this site! It was and still is the hardest thing I have ever done! pissng blood on thectrsin trip after training sessions an example of hiw hard thectraining regime was. But then again,the expert you are,you would know this stuff ? Wouldn't you! Perhaps you might know about the training required? Or perhaps not? It seems you have superior knowledge that many players are not good for the NRL. Let your expert view continue said the painted on ears and eyes!
You have no idea what level I, or any other poster on here made it to, the disrespect you are showing other posters is very telling

Diesel

Referee
The NRL are never going to change the time
Perhaps while TV is pushing for a nighttime GF, but I hope the twilight game returns. That was a happy medium & allowed the next generation of fans to see the whole game

Springs09

Juniors
Some players may have the talent but they lack the discipline and/or application to make it to NRL level. How many times have you heard an NRL player, when asked to name the most talented player they've played with, name someone unknown who they played with/against in junior rep matches? I can remember Robbie and Lenny Beckett (who played NRL for the Panthers, and for the Eagles and Knights respectively) whilst both talented, the most talented of the siblings was the eldest brother Danny. Thing was Danny didn't like to train, and loved the social life too much, so he was never better than a park footballer.

So it is possible that there are talented players out there who aren't in the NRL. The ting is they don't have the desire or will to do what is necessary to be an NRL player.

Hence the adage that the best footballers have usually been identified by the time they reach under 19s football.

Andrew Fifita was at my junior club but another junior a year younger than him was much better at the time. He's now 160kg playing off the bench for my reserve grade side.

There is a lot of talent that weren't picked up due to many reasons. The major difference is NRL-level training, fitness and discipline. Some park footballers would be a lot better if they had been in the NRL system since they were 15. On the opposite side there are a lot of NRL players who would be fat slobs if taken out of the system. Just look at how Papalii and Paulo and co. went when they were with Samoa for 6 weeks in the World Cup. I've also seen NRL players a year or two out of the NRL playing country reserve grade as their discipline is gone.

A lot of players reach the NRL but are far less talented than the best because they matured early. This is part of the reason there is so many islanders in the NRL now. A lot of them mature early and are huge by U14s and run through everyone but have no real footy brain or skills apart from running hard and when they reach NRL you wonder how they ever got there as they seem like an even-more-stupid Tony Williams.

Springs09

Juniors
Not really. Not with some of the armchair experts I've noted on this site! It was and still is the hardest thing I have ever done! Pissing blood on the train trip after training sessions as an example of how hard the training regime was. But then again,the expert you are,you would know this stuff ? Wouldn't you! ?Perhaps you might know about the training required? Or perhaps not? It seems you have superior knowledge that many players are not good enough for the NRL. Let your expert view continue said the painted on ears and eyes!

Pissing blood is a result of a serious medical condition not hard trainings. If you were doing that you had been badly injured.

Also don't sell yourself short, we all know you were actually Australian captain for the 1995 World Cup instead of Fittler.

Springs09

Juniors

If you were captain, why were you starved of the ball? Demand the ball, you are captain.

Stallion

First Grade
Pissing blood is a result of a serious medical condition not hard trainings. If you were doing that you had been badly injured.

Also don't sell yourself short, we all know you were actually Australian captain for the 1995 World Cup instead of Fittler.

The pissing of blood was from dehydration. A result of excessive running and exercise. My sports doctor informed me of this! Any other "expert"opinions?

Stallion

First Grade
If you were captain, why were you starved of the ball? Demand the ball, you are captain.

Captain in name only of training squads. After the first week of trials we were put into training going squads purely for exercise and training purposes. All physical activities involved. No ball work.

Stallion

First Grade
No that's a result of you being an idiot and not drinking enough water.

Perhaps. Still got to a significant amount of work as in running, fireman carries up Moore park golf course hills, biathlons, warm up exercises etc.But you would know that wouldn't you! ? After all! You are able to pick and choose and decide if their isn't enough talent!?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
The pissing of blood was from dehydration. A result of excessive running and exercise. My sports doctor informed me of this! Any other "expert"opinions?

I imagine that you weren't only pissing blood but that your piss was a dirty brown colour, like tea right?

If so then that's an extreme case of dehydration, you're kidney's were starting to shut down, basically you were dying... You probably should have spent at least the night in a hospital on a dip to hydrate and to be under surveillance in case your kidneys continued to deteriorate.

I'm not sure when this happened or how old you were at the time (honestly I'm not sure that it ever happened at all, not because I don't believe you per se, but you know this is an internet forum and all), but whoever your coaches were should have been at least disciplined, but more realistically fired, for totally failing in their duty of care, because for a case of dehydration (and probably heat exhaustion) to get that bad they would have had to ignore a lot of pretty obvious symptoms of distress, for example delirium... And if their was a team doctor (which there may or may not have been depending on how long ago this was) and the other first aid services present and they didn't send you to the hospital then they should have been in very big trouble.

Stallion

First Grade
I imagine that you weren't only pissing blood but that your piss was a dirty brown colour, like tea right?

If so then that's an extreme case of dehydration, you're kidney's were starting to shut down, basically you were dying... You probably should have spent at least the night in a hospital on a dip to hydrate and to be under surveillance in case your kidneys continued to deteriorate.

I'm not sure when this happened or how old you were at the time (honestly I'm not sure that it ever happened at all, not because I don't believe you per se, but you know this is an internet forum and all), but whoever your coaches were should have been at least disciplined, but more realistically fired, for totally failing in their duty of care, because for a case of dehydration (and probably heat exhaustion) to get that bad they would have had to ignore a lot of pretty obvious symptoms of distress, for example delirium... And if their was a team doctor (which there may or may not have been depending on how long ago this was) and the other first aid services present and they didn't send you to the hospital then they should have been in very big trouble.

Oddly enough I was OK! I only realised it when I went to the toilet on the train going back to Newcastle. The training sessions were extremely intense though. I was taking the train on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Sydney from Newcastle. They let me off on Fridays as I was working as a barman in Newcastle at that time. 1985/6 season.