What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Card Weekend - reports NRL looking to expand finals to ten teams

Are you in favour of the proposed Wildcard Weekend?

• Total voters

unforgiven

Bench
If we insist 10 teams in finals.

Why not split it into 2 X ,top 5 systems like everyone loved in the 80s/90s

Teams 1 , 3 , 5 , 7 , 9 in one side

Teams 2 , 4. , 6 , 8 , 10 in other side

Winner of each half faces each other in Grand final

Advantages

Awards the better team in each game.
Alot more even games hopefully leading to more attractive games

Ensures 1 vs 2 can only happen in the grand final even if they lose a game in their semi final group.

All the judges keep saying the old top 5 was best so let's just double that.
Don't double it,just use a similar system but for the top 8!
5c253cc1729d25b828e82b26e71b7e70fb74db0e.jpeg

Valheru

Coach

Advantages

Ensures 1 vs 2 can only happen in the grand final even if they lose a game in their semi final group.

No thanks

The top 5 is liked because of the restriction in the quality of teams competing and the quality of the match ups. Doubling it would negate that.

There are other issues as well. Using last year's top 10 and assuming all top seeds win a given match you would have had the following

Week 1

Souths V Penrith
Dragons V Tigers
Sharks V Broncos
Warriors V Raiders

Week 2

Roosters V Souths
Penrith V Dragons
Storm V Sharks
Broncos V Warriors

Week 3

Souths V Penrith
Sharks V Broncos

Week 4

Roosters V Souths
Storm V Sharks

GF

Roosters V Storm

Both fixtures in Week 3 and 4 are repeats of fixtures in weeks 1 and 2 and you are giving teams 5 and 6 two bites at the cherry.

The current top 8 is the best system available and works fine.

Man of Steele

Juniors
The only fans that’ll support it are Parramatta, Manly, Canberra etc. Bottom feeders who might be able to get a couple late wins make 10th.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Advantages

I like it...

I still think pre-established conferences are the way to go though. Rather than just hoping for the big rivalry match-ups, we should guaranteeing them in the structure.

Last Week

Bench
We have to have more teams in the finals than 5. The season is not even and fair to any teams due to only playing some teams twice and the origin period. 8 is the best number for us right now.

If we want an even/fair finals series, we have conferences or play every team twice, and let no game be affected by origin.

tri_colours

Juniors
Why not introduce two new teams and play everybody just once. And spend the extra weeks playing more rep games and other money making matches like this wild card round ?

gUt

Coach
I like the idea but maybe make it for teams that finish on even points from 8-10

Zadar

Juniors
I was thinking more of the government. Never been a fan of this particular long weekend. Get rid of this one and the Queens Birthday one also.

Move the game to 3pm then it won’t matter if there is a public holiday the day after, that way people can get back home regardless where they have travelled from, instead of spending hours waiting for the train to get you out of Homebush at 11pm.

.....instead of spending hours waiting for the train to get you out of Homebush at 11pm.

Only way you "wait for hours" is if you spend it at the pub after the game. I've been to many a Grand Final at ANZ Stadium and the longest I've waited for a train out of the station was 15 minutes. "Hours"? I call b/s.

Timbo

Staff member
Only way you "wait for hours" is if you spend it at the pub after the game. I've been to many a Grand Final at ANZ Stadium and the longest I've waited for a train out of the station was 15 minutes. "Hours"? I call b/s.

I have been to grand finals and origins there and not once have I been on a train fifteen minutes after leaving the stadium.

Saxon

Bench
Why not introduce two new teams and play everybody just once. And spend the extra weeks playing more rep games and other money making matches like this wild card round ?
I'd love to see that, but I hope it doesn't happen - primarily because we don't have enough real first grade standard players to fill another two teams. At the bottom of their rosters even the Roosters, Storm and Broncos look a bit thin; and for the Titans, Eels and Dogs players 21 - 30 are really only QLD/NSW Cup level. We are particularly short of decent halves.
Like I say, I'd love it to be a reality, but at this point I think it would just lower the standard of the competition.

Stallion

First Grade
I'd love to see that, but I hope it doesn't happen - primarily because we don't have enough real first grade standard players to fill another two teams. At the bottom of their rosters even the Roosters, Storm and Broncos look a bit thin; and for the Titans, Eels and Dogs players 21 - 30 are really only QLD/NSW Cup level. We are particularly short of decent halves.
Like I say, I'd love it to be a reality, but at this point I think it would just lower the standard of the competition.

Dissagree completely! As a former trialist I am well aware of the immense untapped depth that don't even make the cut. The lack of depth line on player ability is just that! It lacks depth!

Saxon

Bench
Dissagree completely! As a former trialist I am well aware of the immense untapped depth that don't even make the cut. The lack of depth line on player ability is just that! It lacks depth!
If the talent is there then the system is broke, cos it sure ain't making it's way into the NRL.

Stallion

First Grade
If the talent is there then the system is broke, cos it sure ain't making it's way into the NRL.

The system is then broke! The players are there and just need a decent go! And the news of additional clubs would encourage a way lot more youngsters to aspire for a shot at the NRL. Something that doesn't seem to be factored in when the old "lack of player depth" line is used.

Last Week

Bench

If there were any players that were ready for first grade around, they'd be in first grade.

Zadar

Juniors
I have been to grand finals and origins there and not once have I been on a train fifteen minutes after leaving the stadium.

After this years state of origin, the train line did not move for half an hour and that was before even setting foot in the station, got sick of waiting so we followed a few groups of people looking for cabs, who wanted $180 for a trip back to the city! Another couple then mentioned that about a 15 minute walk to concord west station was the go. We did that and got straight on a train. Next time I will head straight for concord west without even trying to wait at Homebush.

Homebush is a sh!thole to leave, let alone when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere at that time of night.

Stallion

First Grade
If there were any players that were ready for first grade around, they'd be in first grade.

Lol . Another comment from someone whom clearly has not participated in the trial process for can NRL club ! Understand you haven't had a "crack" therefore your comment is not from experience. The player talent is immense. More opportunities through increased club numbers would necessarily increase junior participation. But we have ill informed comments such as yours that spoil the intent of genuine progress for people playing wishing to play this great code of football.

unforgiven

Bench
Lol . Another comment from someone whom clearly has not participated in the trial process for can NRL club ! Understand you haven't had a "crack" therefore your comment is not from experience. The player talent is immense. More opportunities through increased club numbers would necessarily increase junior participation. But we have ill informed comments such as yours that spoil the intent of genuine progress for people playing wishing to play this great code of football.
So is your complaint because you didn't make it? I watch an immense amount of lower level football, and the talent is not there.