What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Ipswich & Newtown be heading to court ?

_Johnsy

Referee
When the Gold coast had trouble with Redcliffe over the use of the name Dolphins (the best name for them imo) they offered several names for the fans to vote on. Titans was the winner.

Glad you cleared that up, the moniker is as superficial as the region it represents. In short it does not truly represent the Gold Coast in any way shape or form (excluding a popularity contest). Interesting.

A more accurate moniker may have been something like - Gold Coast "4th time luckies".

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench
Actually the issue at hand has little to do with that legally. New York trademarked the 'Jets' in Australia before anyone else here not just in the USA (which makes it the same overall legal market). What I have shown conclusively is that different sporting teams even in the same code can have the same moniker and it not be considered a breach of trademark. If such can exist in Aussie Rules between an AFL team and a SANFL team then it can exist between a new NRL team and a NSW Cup side.

The argument has actually been that Newtown have the rights by virtue of being first and having a trademark claim that includes the 'Jets' in their claim. Both are not anywhere near conclusive as has been shown.

It is true that if taken to court that Newtown 'might' win or more likely that Ipswich would back down because of publicity (as with Redcliffe). I have no emotional attachment to the idea of Jets (I rather SQ Diggers and think atleast Ipswich is a bad idea) The emotion based argument centred around tradition (NSW based) wins very little in a legal sense.

I'm sure the fact that Ipswich has used the name for 25 years unchallenged would carry some weight in any court case.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Storm
Titans
Cowboys
Broncos

all much much worse

Names that have history and meaning are the best - names that were made up by some ponytailed wanker are always awful.

North Queensland represents and area that has cattle farming as one of its primary industries. Two terms that are used by the boys (and girls) working on these stations to describe themselves are cowboys and/or jackeroos(jillaroos). Personally I would have preferred to have gone with Jackeroos or Crocodiles at the formation of the club. But to say they is no meaning behind the term in reference to the area is untruthful and provocative.

I could easily say the 'men of steel' reference to Newcastle is far more tenuous.

RedVee

First Grade
Glad you cleared that up, the moniker is as superficial as the region it represents. In short it does not truly represent the Gold Coast in any way shape or form (excluding a popularity contest). Interesting.

A more accurate moniker may have been something like - Gold Coast "4th time luckies".

I think it got up because of "Remember the Titans". Good movie, anyway.

RockWheel

Bench
North Queensland represents and area that has cattle farming as one of its primary industries. Two terms that are used by the boys (and girls) working on these stations to describe themselves are cowboys and/or jackeroos(jillaroos). Personally I would have preferred to have gone with Jackeroos or Crocodiles at the formation of the club. But to say they is no meaning behind the term in reference to the area is untruthful and provocative.

I could easily say the 'men of steel' reference to Newcastle is far more tenuous.

Don't actually mind the Cowboys for North Queensland, much better than Broncos or Titans. Problem I've got is the current logo ripping off the Dallas Cowboys.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Superficial nicknames for teams are nothing new. It's not as if Penrith bogans have to risk Panther attacks every time, and those Bears are just roaming the streets of Mosman, there needs to be a Bear Tax!

The list goes on and on.

"Cowboys" is a thousand times more marketable than jackeroo. And thanks to that lovely social affect known as "americanisation" I'd say the majority of people my age and younger have no idea what a jackeroo is and they know those guys on horses in the outback only as "cowboys".
I think it got up because of "Remember the Titans". Good movie, anyway.
Ahh yes, because the Gold Coast Titans have been healing racial tensions in their area ever since they've been around.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Read the first post in this thread, and try to keep the hypothetical scenario in context (rugby league in Australia). 2 completely different markets New York NFL > Newtown RL in Oz.

When it comes to the use of the "Jets" moniker in Australian rugby league. Newtown, yeah they had it first.

It seems that in your 'hypothetical scenario' it is entirely plausible that Ipswich and Newtown could end up in court if a new bid was to use the name Jets. Whether Newtown would be successful in any pursuit of such action is absolutely up for debate. Someone looking from the outside not having some agenda regarding so called 'traditions' can see through the paper thin arguments supporting Newtown's claim. In your hostility to anyone who disagrees with you, you have been unable to come to grips with this fact.

Such as it is, your ranting and raving on this thread makes you look utterly foolish.

_Johnsy

Referee
It was sanctimonious nonsense. Sydney clubs do not have a mortgage on history and traditions as made out in this thread. Did his towel or whatever have 'Jets' or 'Bluebags' on it? Because if it had 'Jets' on it then it makes an absolute mockery of his clubs history considering that nickname was only used for a very short period. And, being the fashion of the time, was handsomely ripped off an American football team. History my arse.

Not one person has stated in this thread that the history of rugby league in Australia starts and ends in Sydney.

Some people have given their opinions, some that regard their club about its history. That clubs history is no less or no more important than your teams history. I would expect you to defend your clubs proud history, as long or short as it may be.

Lets take a walk down memory lane. The NSWRL competition was the best RL competition in the world, bar none. This is why Brisbane & QLD players continually went south to make more $$$ and to play in the best RL comp in the world. It is also why Brisbane chose to make an application to join it, the NSWRL certainly did not ask Brisbane to join.

The competition has certainly evolved since then, and is still the premier RL comp in the world. The evolution is bolstered by it's expansion, and each clubs history should be celebrated not denigrated. I would have expected some regard for the foundations and history (of all clubs past & present) of the evolved competition that is now contested.

Is that asking too much ?

It seems that in your 'hypothetical scenario' it is entirely plausible that Ipswich and Newtown could end up in court if a new bid was to use the name Jets. Whether Newtown would be successful in any pursuit of such action is absolutely up for debate. Someone looking from the outside not having some agenda regarding so called 'traditions' can see through the paper thin arguments supporting Newtown's claim. In your hostility to anyone who disagrees with you, you have been unable to come to grips with this fact.

Such as it is, your ranting and raving on this thread makes you look utterly foolish.

I am not sure if you are a ignoramous or just a complete pillock?

Last edited:

Zelig96

Juniors
It is true that if taken to court that Newtown 'might' win or more likely that Ipswich would back down because of publicity (as with Redcliffe).

It would never get to Court or even be overly costly for Newtown.

The new NRL Club will want to trademark its name (in fact, probably the NRL will seek to own the trademark) and neither the NRL nor the new Club would take the risk of publicly going forward with a name that carries the very real possibility of being a name they could not successfully trademark.

The Titans initially made that mistake with the Dolphins name and had to scramble around to come up with the Titans name. The NRL won't go through that debacle again.

The fact that the Newtown Jets have demonstrated their willingness to oppose the use of the "Jets" nickname for teams in other sports makes it a no-brainer that they would oppose any attempt to trademark "Jets" in relation to Rugby League.

Newtown opposed the Newcastle Jets name back in 2007. They were later joined by the NFL in that opposition (both using the same law firm).

See "//bit.ly/h1JCaN" [sorry, I can't post links, so add the "http:" to the front]

Click on the OPPOSITIONS link.

The result of this action was to restrict the Newcastle Jets trademarks specifically to goods "relating to the sport of football (soccer) and excluding goods relating to the sport of American football".

I have no emotional attachment to the idea of Jets (I rather SQ Diggers and think atleast Ipswich is a bad idea)
I suspect the RSL would kick up a stink if a club tried to use the name "Diggers". I can't see that name ever even getting to first base, let alone a trademark application.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I am not sure if you are a ignoramous or just a complete pillock?

I am sure that you are antagonistic and a hopeless debater. Being neatly selective with your quotes doesn't disguise your prejudices surrounding this discussion. But I shouldn't expect any different from you.

bobmar28

Bench
It would never get to Court or even be overly costly for Newtown.

The new NRL Club will want to trademark its name (in fact, probably the NRL will seek to own the trademark) and neither the NRL nor the new Club would take the risk of publicly going forward with a name that carries the very real possibility of being a name they could not successfully trademark.

The Titans initially made that mistake with the Dolphins name and had to scramble around to come up with the Titans name. The NRL won't go through that debacle again.

The fact that the Newtown Jets have demonstrated their willingness to oppose the use of the "Jets" nickname for teams in other sports makes it a no-brainer that they would oppose any attempt to trademark "Jets" in relation to Rugby League.

Newtown opposed the Newcastle Jets name back in 2007. They were later joined by the NFL in that opposition (both using the same law firm).

See "//bit.ly/h1JCaN" [sorry, I can't post links, so add the "http:" to the front]

Click on the OPPOSITIONS link.

The result of this action was to restrict the Newcastle Jets trademarks specifically to goods "relating to the sport of football (soccer) and excluding goods relating to the sport of American football".

I suspect the RSL would kick up a stink if a club tried to use the name "Diggers". I can't see that name ever even getting to first base, let alone a trademark application.

The Gold Coast team had no name at the time. Ipswich have been known as the Jets for 25 years and Newtown have had no problem with that.

bobmar28

Bench
Okay morons you're going in circles now. It's bloody simple. Ipswich gets to use the Jets name if Newtown doesn't fight it. If Newtown does fight it Newtown will win, it has the copyright, that's what copyright's are for.

I think New York has the copyright to that name.

_Johnsy

Referee
The quote is there for everyone to see & it was my opinion of all RL clubs history.

Take the quotes in context as they reply to varying people. You are truly delusional if you believe you have no prejudices when it comes to this subject, and that you are not antagonistic in your comments.

The fact remains you are a hypocrite & a pillock.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I think New York has the copyright to that name.

Newtown have the copyright to the name in Rugby League and therefore own it. They also own it for promotion and merchandise in Australia. Wasn't this already covered in a earlier post?

No shame in being wrong guys but when you can't admit you are wrong that is a low state of affairs.

_Johnsy

Referee
Newtown have the copyright to the name in Rugby League and therefore own it. They also own it for promotion and merchandise in Australia. Wasn't this already covered in a earlier post?

No shame in being wrong guys but when you can't admit you are wrong that is a low state of affairs.

That would require having a backbone, or some understanding of the law.

Boy we have some legal experts here on this forum don't we. The notion that Newtown may have a case against Ipswich for using a term they have consistently used for decades is absurd in the extreme. One needn't have any knowledge of law to see through the holes in any possible argument.

So no knowledge of trademark law is needed to see one side of an argument, apparently that's not absurd. Well it appears DQ has a better knowledge of the law than most posters, enough to disregard their opinion. Exactly the same reason he gets worked up about when people disregard his. DQ may want to read about the Madrid protocol (related to International trademark law)

According to the trademarks website; http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/Falcon.Result

"A trade mark can be a word, phrase, letter, number, sound, smell, shape, logo, picture, aspect of packaging or a combination of these. A trade mark can also protect your brand name. Registration of a business, company or domain name does not in itself give you any proprietary rights-only a trade mark can give you that kind of protection."

Both New York Jets & Newtown Jets have the Jest moniker registered here and overseas (via Madrid convention). No shock to see that Ipswich do not have the "Jets" moniker trademark registered in any way shape or form. They do have "IPSWICH JETS RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB INC" business name registered in QLD. Possible court action, business name V trademark registration, my money would be on the tradmeark registration to come out on top.

Bearing that in mind, if it did go to court Newtown appear to be in a much stronger position. Therefore may be able to stop Ipswich from using the name "Jets" if they chose to.

But according to the renowend LU's own bush lawyer the notion put forth above is absurd in the extreme. Again, you needn't have any knowledge of law to see through the holes.

Happy to see any "legal" holes exposed by our own bush lawyer.

beave

Coach

They Weren't allowed to use crocs, the union rep team down in Mackay/Sarin is known as that. There was a pic in the paper in the early 90's with marty bella wearing a t-shirt when the NQ bid was in full swing( before the name 'cowboys' was chosen by the bid leader kerry boustead) with words to the effect 'nq crocs, we'll eat 'em alive!'. Apparently the tweed jacket brigade down there cracked the sh*ts deluxe and the bid team dropped it like a hot pie and had to head in another direction.

I honestly think (and I've said it a hundred times in here) that NQ should have tried to roll the marlins name over from the rep team up here and used that. Most people live on the coast and would identify with that moniker more than a damn cowboy. I've never really liked the name myself but deal with it because its only a nickname and at the end of the day they will always be NQ in my eyes, Im more proud of that than some horse riding fruit.

Last edited:

bobmar28

Bench

And yet they have allowed Ipswich to use the name for 25 years. And now when there is a possibility that Ipswich will get an NRL franchise they want to take their bat and ball home?