What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Nathan Cleary surpass Andrew Johns as the greatest ever halfback to play the game?

Will Nathan Cleary surpass Andrew Johns as the greatest ever halfback to play the game?

• Total voters

Hartwood

Juniors
Johnathan Thurston was twice the ball player that Johns was

Edit: I'll double down and say Thurston is the greatest halfback of all time, I'll also say that these comparisons are ridiculous because there is nothing anyone can do to prove or disprove anyone's opinion. But no-one dominated the halfback position for as long as Thurston did

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
It takes a few years after a player retiring for their true legacy to be measured. Thurston is a prime example. The talk about him being the greatest player of all time and an immediate immortal have dropped off significantly in the few short years he’s been retired, just as it did previously with Lockyer.

Johns has been retired for 15 years and is still rated as highly as ever by all except the most biased of Queenslanders. Thurston and Lockyer were great players but weren’t on his level. Not sure if anyone is.

The_Frog

First Grade
It takes a few years after a player retiring for their true legacy to be measured. Thurston is a prime example. The talk about him being the greatest player of all time and an immediate immortal have dropped off significantly in the few short years he’s been retired, just as it did previously with Lockyer.

Johns has been retired for 15 years and is still rated as highly as ever by all except the most biased of Queenslanders. Thurston and Lockyer were great players but weren’t on his level. Not sure if anyone is.
In the loose unit department, he's the GOAT.

Blues Riff

Bench
So, I voted yes. Long way to go though. He's dedicated enough.
Did you see the kicks yesterday? He bent two (2) high velocity grubbers into the upright, one for a try and one for a line drop out. Fluke? maybe. How about the floating bombs last week? Nice. By all accounts, he's fanatical in his preparation.
Here's hoping he has a career long enough to answer the question.

Nealo 12

Bench
They did...
I've seen it...
And it's magnificent.
trash GIF