What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the International Game ever grow??

carlnz

Bench
We always compare International League to Rugby, and I don’t know why we do this. How many countries have professional Rugby Comps running?

Lets look at League:
Australia - Professional
England - Professional
NZ - One Professional team and a semi professional comp
France - One Professional team and a semi professional comp
PNG - Semi Professional Comp
Wales - One Semi Professional Team, amateur comp

So at a guess Rugby League has only got 27 Professional League teams, from four different countries.

IMO the International game will never grow outside 3-5 competitive teams until we get more professional teams from other Countries.

What are your guy’s thoughts?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Don't worry about it, in the last 10 years since we were set free, well, you post about places.

Just look how much it's grown in the last 10 years.:D

griff

Bench
carlnz said:
We always compare International League to Rugby

:evil: :evil: :evil: grrrrr

On your point though, the difference is pretty favourable to RL when looking at top level professional players.

If you look at the number of professional rugby players in the world, there would be pretty comparable numbers of professional union players and professional league players.

In Australia for instance, I would say there are probably 1000 professional RL players and perhaps only 100 professional RU players.

On a global basis due to the French and Japanese RU comps RU might have slightly more professionals but wouldn't be by many at all.

roopy

Referee
I think we will see another professional league within 10 years.

The PNG comp could go pro.

The USA comp could go pro.

The France comp could go pro.

The Qld cup could go pro.

The Bartercard cup could go pro.

Or we could see a ESL second division go pro with sides from England, Wales, Ireland, France and even Russia or other countries (Lebanon?).

Balmain_Boy

Do you really think a developing country like PNG could sustain a professional competition? I wouldn't have thought so. I'd have doubts about any of the other comps going pro as well. Possibly France...

bowes

Juniors
roopy said:

Or we could see a ESL second division go pro with sides from England, Wales, Ireland, France and even Russia or other countries (Lebanon?).
The Queensland Cup maybe, maybe NL1 (which already has 3 full time teams). other than that you're kidding yourself.

ali

Bench
roopy said:

Here's an interesting thought, if the majority of players in the SP cup make more money than what they could in other jobs, does that make the SP Cup professional? What if half the players are unemployed? Does that make them professional footballers. The SP Cup is now 18 rounds, and all teams have had a pretty serious pre season. I know there isn't much funding, and there isn't TV coverage as far as i know, but all grounds are fenced off and spectators are paying.

roopy

Referee
ali said:
Here's an interesting thought, if the majority of players in the SP cup make more money than what they could in other jobs, does that make the SP Cup professional? What if half the players are unemployed? Does that make them professional footballers. The SP Cup is now 18 rounds, and all teams have had a pretty serious pre season. I know there isn't much funding, and there isn't TV coverage as far as i know, but all grounds are fenced off and spectators are paying.
If you make your living as a footballer - you are a pro - which could mean as little as $1000a a year in PNG.

The Observer

Staff member
If the Welsh team Celtic Crusaders can be added to Super League in the next few years, international RL could have six competitive rep teams:
southern hemisphere: Aus, NZ, Pac Islands
Northern Hemi: England, Wales, France

Over the next ten years, I'd like to see IRL grow to the point where those six teams were playing each other at home and away i.e.

September-October (6 weeks)
SH Tri Series Aus, NZ, PI play each other at home and away
European Championship Elite - England, Wales, France play each other at home and away

Oct-Nov (3 weeks)
NH nations play each southern team in SH

Nov (3 weeks)
SH nations tour and play each NH team in NH

brendothejet

First Grade
roopy said:
If you make your living as a footballer - you are a pro - which could mean as little as $1000a a year in PNG.

If you make your living having sex - you are a pro

heehe

goeagles

Juniors
The following countries have the following fully professional rugby union comps:

England
New Zealand
Australia
South Africa
France
Russia
Japan
Italy
Scotland
Wales
Ireland

Argentina is also starting a fully professional 8 team competition later this year, including 1 team from Uruguay and 1 team from Chile.

The US is not close to having a professional competition in rugby union, so what makes you think that a pro rugby league comp would be even remotely imminent or viable? That's the type of dreamland crap that gives league supporters a bad name.

bowes

Juniors
goeagles said:
The following countries have the following fully professional rugby union comps:

England
New Zealand
Australia
South Africa
France
Russia
Japan
Italy
Scotland
Wales
Ireland

Argentina is also starting a fully professional 8 team competition later this year, including 1 team from Uruguay and 1 team from Chile.

The US is not close to having a professional competition in rugby union, so what makes you think that a pro rugby league comp would be even remotely imminent or viable? That's the type of dreamland crap that gives league supporters a bad name.
Russia is not full time at RU it's semi-pro. Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Australia don't have a full time comp but have some full time clubs in one (4, 3, 4 and 4 respectively). Italy's Super 10 is a mix of full time and part time.

Other than that yes it is ridiculous to claim that countries like USA will have full time comps

bowes

Juniors
ali said:
True it would be full time. BUT Fiji used to have a full time pro RL comp and that hardly made them world beaters. In reality it's the standard that makes them a good team, and for that standard higher money (as a rule) is needed

langpark

First Grade
roopy said:

You're dreamin. As much as i'd like to see it happen.

I think if the Qld Cup could merge with the SP Cup, that would make a good pro comp. Other than that tho, only BarterCard and France have some chance in the net decade. USA haven't got a hope in hell, as awesome as it'd be

goeagles

Juniors
bowes said:
Russia is not full time at RU it's semi-pro. Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Australia don't have a full time comp but have some full time clubs in one (4, 3, 4 and 4 respectively). Italy's Super 10 is a mix of full time and part time.

Other than that yes it is ridiculous to claim that countries like USA will have full time comps

Russia is full time. Players who go to university and have other jobs do not play in the RPRL (pro rugby union comp). This has been verified by multiple sources in Russia.

As for Italy, you are correct. Some of the teams are part time, although many are fully pro.

Wales, Scotland, Ireland not full time? The Celtic League teams are all full time but the domestic levels below them are not. If you are only counting truly domestic comps, then there no RL countries qualify.

Same applies for Australia and the S14.

Woods99

Juniors
griff said:
:evil: :evil: :evil: grrrrr

On your point though, the difference is pretty favourable to RL when looking at top level professional players.

If you look at the number of professional rugby players in the world, there would be pretty comparable numbers of professional union players and professional league players.

In Australia for instance, I would say there are probably 1000 professional RL players and perhaps only 100 professional RU players.

On a global basis due to the French and Japanese RU comps RU might have slightly more professionals but wouldn't be by many at all.

Each of the four Super Rugby franchises have 30 contracted players, plus an Academy of younger players as well. The total number of professional players at both levels would be closer to 200.

The Tooheys Premiership in Sydney pays players $500 per match. Not much for some, but not bad for a student, for example.

The whole issue needs to put into the context that rugby union has had only 10 years to re-invent itself as an openly professional game. That's rugby union's fault, but it takes time to build a genuinely strong professional game, especially in a place like Australia, where there are three other strong winter codes.

taipan

Referee
rugby league is growing some places fast ,others too slow.
I believe within the next 10 years,there will be:
A 2nd NZ team in the NRL
A Welsh team the Celtic Crusaders or some other name will have an ESL team.
Another French team in the ESL more than likely Toulouse.
I cant see in the next 10 years a pro team in PNG whilst they are fanatical,the infrastructure is not there ATM.
Forget a pro team from the islands,if union hasnt got one on each island,rugby league won't.
The USA depends on development in the next 10,trouble development is slow and again union doesnt have a pro team there.
Russia only chance a rich benefactor,however distance still a problem.
South Africa one of life's big mysteries.Not in the next 10 unfortunately.

The game will continue to grow,however in the main just as it is in union,the vast majority of the countries will be amateur.
still if rugby league can have a competitive England,Wales,France and NZ and Oz,thats a great start.You can only play so many tests,when you have club,SOO.If PNG can somehow have more NRL players ,they could be a surprise package.that Paul Aiton from Penrith is one example of the potential.

Thomas

First Grade
taipan said:
rugby league is growing some places fast ,others too slow.
I believe within the next 10 years,there will be:
A 2nd NZ team in the NRL
A Welsh team the Celtic Crusaders or some other name will have an ESL team.
Another French team in the ESL more than likely Toulouse.
I cant see in the next 10 years a pro team in PNG whilst they are fanatical,the infrastructure is not there ATM.
Forget a pro team from the islands,if union hasnt got one on each island,rugby league won't.
The USA depends on development in the next 10,trouble development is slow and again union doesnt have a pro team there.
Russia only chance a rich benefactor,however distance still a problem.
South Africa one of life's big mysteries.Not in the next 10 unfortunately.

The game will continue to grow,however in the main just as it is in union,the vast majority of the countries will be amateur.
still if rugby league can have a competitive England,Wales,France and NZ and Oz,thats a great start.You can only play so many tests,when you have club,SOO.If PNG can somehow have more NRL players ,they could be a surprise package.that Paul Aiton from Penrith is one example of the potential.

I think many of your ideas will be realised in the next 10 years Taipan. I'd love to see a PNG team in the NRL. It was tried in the QRL a while back, but the infrastructure wasn't there and it was too costly.