What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will the Roosters' premiership triumph inspire other teams to develop rather than buy???

t-ba

Post Whore
I had to do a double take on the thread title.
The reality is if my Saints won a premiership with a predominantly bought roster I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. I think anyone claiming otherwise is full of sh*t.

Lord knows I cried myself to sleep in 2008 and 2011 when only three local juniors were on the roster.

Of course, Local Juniors outscored Melbourne 4-0 in 2008 which was quite nice.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For a true comparison, take out the key bought players of Cronk & Tedesco and send the rest of the 2018 team out next year and see how they go.

Roosters fans could also save some cash by pre purchasing a September 2019 holiday to Bali now..

Mikehnz

Juniors
While this is a troll thread - I do feel better that the Dogs are investing in junior players & giving up on forking out billions for overrated players.. I think it's a much better approach.

Fire

First Grade
While this is a troll thread - I do feel better that the Dogs are investing in junior players & giving up on forking out billions for overrated players.. I think it's a much better approach.
Rest easy mate.

Word from NRL HQ is they do have a plan in place to subsidise those clubs who 'develop' players.

(Granted, it is the NRL. They turn over staff like motherf**kers, and my source did tell me this is a 3 year plan, so I'm not holding my breath).

Zerô

Juniors
I heard that the Roosters don't actually pay their players, but the players pay the club for the privilege of playing for them

RedVDragon

Juniors
Funny post. I can stop laughing. Developing players yeh right. If the rorters could not win this years premiership then I think uncle nick would have given it away. Even then how many failed attempts over the years have gone by. Thankfully brown paper bags are stil in production unlike plastic shopping bags. Get my drift.

jack coburn

Juniors
I thought every teams bought players to win a comp. mind you I think a few have bought them to lose. Anyway great thread we haven’t seen one like this for a while........

_snafu_

Immortal
26161960.jpg

super_coach

First Grade
People jump up and down when the Chooks plunder the best players like Teddy and Cronk but little is said about the young kids.

They apply the same principles when getting the young kids into their junior systems, they pay a lot more. In other words they plunder the junior ranks to.

Of course a winning club is a lot more attractive to a kid than a club on struggle street, but at the end of the day money talks. A few years ago West’s had a gun kid, they offered him 10 grand a year just to play in the juniors, Parra offered him 20g,so West’s matched it..along came the Chooks and offered him 80g, so he signed with the Chooks. As it turned out he never kicked on, but that is what your up against.

Anyway they are the bench mark so it a case of, if you can’t beat them join them

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Great insight Dalek, obviously going to be wasted on the majority who can’t let their cognitive bias overcome facts.

The Roosters as you rightly point out try to develop a squad from juniors up. From time to time they will by top draw talent where weaknesses exist but usually they will pick up unwanted/homeless players like Ferguson, Keary and Cronk.

The poaching by the Warriors of RTS forced a change of plans at fullback, likewise letting Maloney go for Jackson Hastings was a monumental flop.

You compare to a club like the Panthers, great junior strength but buying random overrated players like Trent Merrin who is reportedly on $900K a year and James Tamou on $700K. That sort of recruitment should have their NRL license revoked. Maloney also showed he couldn’t last the season at his age. Letting Moylan go for Maloney was just weird and frankly it’s no wonder they fail to aim up on a regular basis

Credit the Sharks for doing that deal and winning in 2014 but their usual recruitment policy requires players to be older than the age of 30.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

Cronk was by definition homeless. He made a personal decision to leave Melbourne for Sydney to be with his ‘soon to be wife’. The step that followed was finding a club. It shouldn’t be really difficult to understand, but thanks for proving my point.

Latest posts