What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we have a new "Worlds Best Player" after the finals series?

salivor

First Grade
I don't think he'll ever win it, it's his heavy involvment that stops him getting points IMO. Apart from the odd bit of brilliance from players here and there I'd say Lockyer is the best Broncos player on the field week in week out, I don't think we're any less of a one man team than the Knights at the end of the day.

But that's the problem and you see it shine through in us Broncos fans the way we give out our 3,2,1's each week, Lockyer doesn't actually get many points as he's on such a level that we expect it every week and it's just par for the course. If any other player plays on that level or gets close to it then we're sining their praises but when it's Lockyer it's just another match. I think it's the same thing with the journos who give out the points, they're looking for other players to give them to and not taking into account the huge influence that Lockyer has on the side. But that's just my take on it.

Mr Saab

Referee
salivor said:
Those 2 feats would put him close but what he's really lacking in his career is the Dally M award. How it's alluded him thus far I'll never know as he's the most instrumental player on the field in every game from the Broncos and you could make a case for him to get points every week.

Dally M has lost its lustre IMO.
A bunch of scribes (esp the current ones) deciding who is the best player?

salivor

First Grade
Well I think its a farce, I'm not one for the whole Sydney is against us theory but it's certainly not an award that's slanted in our favour in the slightest bit. I'm racking my brain but has a Broncos player actually ever won the award?

RABK

Referee
As an individual Johns is, always has and always will be a better and more complete player then Lockyer.

I dare say the broncos would have won 10 comps if they had Johns rather then Lockyer. We wouldn't have won any with the players switched.

At his absolute best Lockyer, like Johns, is clearly a class above. He can match certain feats of Johns. But at his absolute best Johns is yet another class above Lockyer, just a freak that is in all honesty simply the most complete footballer ever.

Ghoulies

Bench
To be quite honest, I don't think Lockyer has really deserved to be in serious contention for the award until this year. In the past, Lockyer's involvement had been enormous and as a result he'd often take at least half a dozen bad options a game, thus taking the gloss off his performances. He'd occasionally pull off a blinder and snare a few points, but he'd never be able to do it consistently.

But since the rise of Hunt and Berrigan this season, Locky has been able to pick and choose when to inject himself which has resulted in the revival of the line of thought that he's the best in the game. He may have only scored 19 or so Dally M points this year (a vast improvement on seasons gone by), but now he's actually stringing together man of the match performances so I'd expect a much better showing than usual by next season.

That said, I don't really rate the Dally M's as a true performance compass so it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if he never wins it.

salivor

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
As an individual Johns is, always has and always will be a better and more complete player then Lockyer.

I dare say the broncos would have won 10 comps if they had Johns rather then Lockyer. We wouldn't have won any with the players switched.

At his absolute best Lockyer, like Johns, is clearly a class above. He can match certain feats of Johns. But at his absolute best Johns is yet another class above Lockyer, just a freak that is in all honesty simply the most complete footballer ever.

Extreme bias alert. We had a pretty damn special halfback of our own called Allan Langer and he could only win 4 competitions with the club in his time, a tally matched by Lockyer last night.

Run back to the kiddies bar now, you must have some more topless photos to post.

Ghoulies

Bench
salivor said:
Well I think its a farce, I'm not one for the whole Sydney is against us theory but it's certainly not an award that's slanted in our favour in the slightest bit. I'm racking my brain but has a Broncos player actually ever won the award?
Alfie won it in 96.

RABK

Referee
Dally M's aside, can you Bronco fans honestly say Lockyer is more consisent, dominant and decisive on a week to week basis. Remember as an individual, not including the team.

I think Buderus can help Johns a lot but on the same token Lockyer is flattered a lot - as he ever played behind a bad forward pack in his life. Broncs, QLD, Aus - Johns has had the likes of Tanner, Woolnough, Lowrie, Brown as his forward pack.

Mr Saab

Referee

Hmmmm i dont think so.
Lockyer is durable, Johns played semi final football for the 1st time since 2001! (well apart from the 10 mins or so in 2002 vs Stg)

RABK

Referee
salivor said:
Extreme bias alert. We had a pretty damn special halfback of our own called Allan Langer and he could only win 4 competitions with the club in his time, a tally matched by Lockyer last night.

Run back to the kiddies bar now, you must have some more topless photos to post.

Brisbane has always been so professional and blessed - ffs they've never had below 14 australian players in their team have they? Bucketload of talents - Lockyer and Langer have had it a lot better then Johns.

Defense. One thing of the top of my head that makes Johns a much more complete player then both of them.

It's not biased opinion - it's fact.

Ghoulies

Bench
Dally M's aside, can you Bronco fans honestly say Lockyer is more consisent, dominant and decisive on a week to week basis. Remember as an individual, not including the team.
That's not really what people take exception too. It's saying that we'd have won 10 more comps with Johns in our side instead of Lockyer; it's a ludicrous suggestion.

Mr Saab

Referee
I think Buderus can help Johns a lot but on the same token Lockyer is flattered a lot - as he ever played behind a bad forward pack in his life. Broncs, QLD, Aus - Johns has had the likes of Tanner, Woolnough, Lowrie, Brown as his forward pack.

Hang on cement brick...have you or have you not bagged QLD over the past few yrs?
Players such as Parker/Meyers/Carlaw/Thorn...players that would not have ever made NSW origin. So on one hand they are rep players, but on the other hand are basically crap.

RABK

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Hmmmm i dont think so.
Lockyer is durable, Johns played semi final football for the 1st time since 2001!

First time since 2000 that we had a professional training and injury program set up and Johns only misses a couple of games - coincidence? At the broncos he may well have much more time on the field.

You's did try and sign him too. ;-)

salivor

First Grade
Hyperbolic and hypocritical statements are the bread and butter of the RnBK and Bluesbreakers of this world. Apparently it's not enough to let Johns' amazing record speak for itself, they have to take pot shot after pot shot at another of our generations great players.

Mr Saab

Referee
So basically Newcastle is a park football team?
Yes the Bronx tried to sign him for the 2001 season because Joey wanted out of the joint because he couldnt pick his nose without it being on Newcastle talk back

RABK

Referee
Mr Saab said:
Hang on cement brick...have you or have you not bagged QLD over the past few yrs?
Players such as Parker/Meyers/Carlaw/Thorn...players that would not have ever made NSW origin. So on one hand they are rep players, but on the other hand are basically crap.

Hey dickhead, ever try and actually discuss something without always trying to think your a comic genius? Coz you're not.

I remember saying that QLD pack looks to be in serious trouble in the future. But i've always rated it - I've alway said Civo and Webcke are the best front row i've seen.

I bagged Lockyer for not performing for QLD fair enough because he wasn't. His record against Johns is atrocious.

RABK

Referee
Where is there a potshot at Lockyer - simple having an opinion on the thread. Wake the f**k up and pull your head in dickhead.

Kiwi

First Grade

If thats your stance Langer sh*ts on Johns period.

Mr Saab

Referee
Hey dickhead, ever try and actually discuss something without always trying to think your a comic genius? Coz you're not.

I remember saying that QLD pack looks to be in serious trouble in the future. But i've always rated it - I've alway said Civo and Webcke are the best front row i've seen.

I bagged Lockyer for not performing for QLD fair enough because he wasn't. His record against Johns is atrocious.

Awww diddums, are you upset. Shame on me for upsetting you.
Future looks fine now...how is NSW shaping up in the coming yrs??
I just like how you say the Bronx are full of forward reps, yet in other past dicussions you laughed at the likes of Meyers/Parker/Thorn/Carlaw....players Lockyer plays behind at Brisbane.
Cant have it both ways

Latest posts