What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we have a new "Worlds Best Player" after the finals series?

Greg Inglis will be the name on everyone's lips after the season has finished...the boy is a gifted player without any rivals.

Leagueguy

Juniors
No you wont hear that.
Lockyer is behind Johns and always will be.
If Lockyer does all that as you noted then it will cement his spot as the 2nd best player.

We may not hear it from you personally, but we will hear it from some Brisbane fans.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Buderas has an amazing will to win. In a tight semi final, when the pressure is really on, watch him inspire Newcastle. He's the bastard that will beat your team through sheer determination.

Mr Saab

Referee
Leagueguy said:
Buderas has an amazing will to win. In a tight semi final, when the pressure is really on, watch him inspire Newcastle. He's the bastard that will beat your team through sheer determination.

And with his short fuse he has the ability to give a penalty away.
Case in point game one of the origin (late stages) when he had the ball.

mxlegend99

Referee
lockyno1 said:
I'd throw in Berrigan as well.
Happily. I hate to see Buderus get so much recognition for being great when it's his halfback making him look it.

Last year and the year before he didn't look so hot when Joey was out. :lol:

Leagueguy said:
Really? Where was he when Joey was injured last year then... i saw nobody getting them wins through sheer determination ;-)

He's a solid hooker. But a solid hooker with a great halfback will look a lot better then he is. That's my opinion. Put Priddis, Smith, Farrah, Berrigan on the field with Joey... i'm sure people would be thinking they were the greatest hooker also.

mxlegend99 said:
Danny Buderus is not even the second best.

Cam Smith = Best.
Farah/Priddis = Competition for Second Best.
Buderus = 4th.

That's on this years form.
Farkin funny you are

farrah..PRIDDIS!!!!

BUDERUS 4th...PISSED myself laughing!
cameron smith granted..for 1 yr

bluesbreaker

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
Happily. I hate to see Buderus get so much recognition for being great when it's his halfback making him look it.

Obviously you didn't watch much football in 2004.

Stranger

Coach
mxlegend99 said:

Funny that i recall when Joey was out for the year, Bedsey picked up the Dally M award. Geez, hit the nail on the head you did didn't you twat.

mxlegend99 said:
Really? Where was he when Joey was injured last year then... i saw nobody getting them wins through sheer determination ;-)

He's a solid hooker. But a solid hooker with a great halfback will look a lot better then he is. That's my opinion. Put Priddis, Smith, Farrah, Berrigan on the field with Joey... i'm sure people would be thinking they were the greatest hooker also.
Hes a great hooker, that is lucky enough to play with the best half-back. It should be well stated that if the knights are missing Bedsey and not joey, the Knights also suffer. Ur opinion is about as intelligent as Locky, and he can fly from LA to Brookie in 2 hours.

Ohhh and BTW, when Joey was injured last year Bedsey was also injured for a major part aswell, thus the knights were using Quigley.

JJ

Immortal
Stranger said:
Funny that i recall when Joey was out for the year, Bedsey picked up the Dally M award. Geez, hit the nail on the head you did didn't you twat.

Game set and match - thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys

Leagueguy

Juniors
Game set and match - thank you linesmen, thank you ball boys

HAHAH yep. Buderas is a great player. Being from Qld I don't really warm to him, but theres no player I respect more. He's all guts.

bluesbreaker

Bench
What kind of turkey would even suggest Berrigan is a better hooker than Buderus? Dunno what sport you and LAlawyerLocky are watching, but it certainly ain't rugby league.

sydraider

First Grade
Buderus gives great service out of dummy half, Johns would not be able to pull off half his plays without that great service from buderus.

salivor

First Grade
Berrigan isn't even the best hooker at the Broncos lol.

On the topic, I think that being instrumental in a premierhsip win is the last thing that Lockyer has to achieve and I don't think he did that in 2000 despite being the Clive Churchill medal winner in the Grand Final. If he plays like he has the last 2 weeks or even takes it up a notch then he has the ability to achieve this and close in on Johns, but overtake him, no.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Johns at his best is the best player in the world. I don't think anybody can dispute that.

The problem is that up until a few years ago he would always play at his best when his team was demolishing the opposition. In a game where his team would have won by 20-30 points with any halfback worth his salt, Johns would turn it into a 50-60 point rout. But get him in a match where his team was being outperformed and he would get frustrated and wouldn't play to that level (and also had a habit of 'getting injured'). Whereas Lockyer at fullback was the exact opposite, when the Broncos were dominating he would sit back and just play a more normal fullback role, but when they were struggling he would step up and get himself more and more involved. The 2002 semi against the Roosters is still the best performance I've ever seen from a player in a team so utterly dominated in every other aspect of the park.

However, over the last few years things have started to change. Johns seems to finally be able to perform near his best when the going gets tough, but unfortunately he's also become very injury-prone and hasn't played a full season for years. And after Lockyer's move to 5/8th, he no longer seems to be able to perform as well when the opposition are dominating, presumably because he's closer to the line and has less time. But I guess it's to be said that he now has a more important role in stopping the Broncos from being dominated in the first place. And he's hardly been injury-free himself, although obviously not to the extent of Johns and he's generally played through the pain.

I'd give the edge to Johns, but it's certainly not the landslide that some make it out as, albeit largely due to his injuries limiting him rather than Lockyer catching him.

Jizmizm

Juniors
I really dont like arguing for a best player in the world. Especially when all the names that come up are in the halves. I dont really understand why a halfback is always considered a better player than a forward or outside back.

Fair enough, a halfbacks job needs more done, but i prefer to think in terms of 'worlds best forward, worlds best back etc'

You cannot really compare someone like Shane Webke to someone like Darren Lockyer, its impossible too. Its not a forwards job to kick, organize etc, and i think it should be based on how much they dominate THEIR POSITION compared to other players in that position and opposition.

On the Lockyer / Johns debate, one could argue that Darren Lockyer is the better player, because he can play great in both the halves and at fullback, one of the greatest ever. Overall i beleive that Andrew Johns has pipped Darren Lockyer, although i believe Locky is catching up.

As for Bedsy, i think hes a great player. Personally i have not thought he was as good as people made him out to be, although he was the best for some time. Credit to him tho he is a really great player, i think Cameron Smith is a better player tho, with Farah just behind Bedsy.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Mad Dogg said:
Johns at his best is the best player in the world. I don't think anybody can dispute that.

The problem is that up until a few years ago he would always play at his best when his team was demolishing the opposition. In a game where his team would have won by 20-30 points with any halfback worth his salt, Johns would turn it into a 50-60 point rout. But get him in a match where his team was being outperformed and he would get frustrated and wouldn't play to that level (and also had a habit of 'getting injured'). Whereas Lockyer at fullback was the exact opposite, when the Broncos were dominating he would sit back and just play a more normal fullback role, but when they were struggling he would step up and get himself more and more involved. The 2002 semi against the Roosters is still the best performance I've ever seen from a player in a team so utterly dominated in every other aspect of the park.

However, over the last few years things have started to change. Johns seems to finally be able to perform near his best when the going gets tough, but unfortunately he's also become very injury-prone and hasn't played a full season for years. And after Lockyer's move to 5/8th, he no longer seems to be able to perform as well when the opposition are dominating, presumably because he's closer to the line and has less time. But I guess it's to be said that he now has a more important role in stopping the Broncos from being dominated in the first place. And he's hardly been injury-free himself, although obviously not to the extent of Johns and he's generally played through the pain.

I'd give the edge to Johns, but it's certainly not the landslide that some make it out as, albeit largely due to his injuries limiting him rather than Lockyer catching him.

You've got no idea. You should try and watch some Knights games in the future, since you've obviously never watched one in the past.

Latest posts