What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we have a new "Worlds Best Player" after the finals series?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
bluesbreaker said:
You've got no idea. You should try and watch some Knights games in the future, since you've obviously never watched one in the past.
As I said, Johns used to have this problem and it was arguably his only real weakness. Are you going to tell me that, circa 2002, Johns was better than Lockyer when his team were being beaten over the rest of the park, particularly in the forwards? That's not an attack on Johns, as not many halves are able to really turn the tide when their forwards are being dominated. Lockyer himself has proven unable to do it since his move into the halves.

It's an unfortunate twist of fate for Johns that just as he was starting to develop the ablity to impose his will on those tough games, which could have seen him match and even overtake Wally Lewis, his body basically fell apart.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Mad Dogg said:
As I said, Johns used to have this problem and it was arguably his only real weakness. Are you going to tell me that, circa 2002, Johns was better than Lockyer when his team were being beaten over the rest of the park, particularly in the forwards? That's not an attack on Johns, as not many halves are able to really turn the tide when their forwards are being dominated. Lockyer himself has proven unable to do it since his move into the halves.

It's an unfortunate twist of fate for Johns that just as he was starting to develop the ablity to impose his will on those tough games, which could have seen him match and even overtake Wally Lewis, his body basically fell apart.

Please provide some examples.

Noa

First Grade
I think many of you are confusing "Greatest" with "Best". Is Andrew Johns the greatest footballer playing today, YES (slightly ahead of Lockyer) without a doubt. But he's not the best player anymore, Cam Smith is the best week-2-week player at this present time.

And Mad Dog's point about John's is valid. For most of his career he's played ALOT better from in front, when his teams are getting beaten he let's his fustrations get the better of him and it affects his performance.

DeeGan

Bench
I think outside of the "big two" (Johns and Lockyer), Cameron Smith is going to be contend for the title for a number of reasons:

1. Reigning Dally M Player of the Year
2. Likely to take out the RLPA Player of the Year
3. Likely to take out the RLW Player of the Year
4. Brilliant Origin series where he got the points over Buderus

A strong finals showing (which you would have to think is a certainty) from Smith will go along way to perhaps seeing take the mantle as well keeping in mind he is going to be a key player in our bid to reclaim the Tri-Nations title.

Nathan Hindmarsh is thereabouts after yet another spectacular year as well. If Parramatta go deeper in to the finals, it will be Hindy leading from the front as he has done since the Eels turned their season around.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Noa Nandruku said:
I think many of you are confusing "Greatest" with "Best". Is Andrew Johns the greatest footballer playing today, YES (slightly ahead of Lockyer) without a doubt. But he's not the best player anymore, Cam Smith is the best week-2-week player at this present time.

And Mad Dog's point about John's is valid. For most of his career he's played ALOT better from in front, when his teams are getting beaten he let's his fustrations get the better of him and it affects his performance.

Once again, please provide some examples. This is the biggest myth ever. Andrew Johns rises to the occasion better than any other player in the comp, how many times has he single-handedly got the Knights back into games and into a position to win?

caylo

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
Danny Buderus is not even the second best.

Cam Smith = Best.
Farah/Priddis = Competition for Second Best.
Buderus = 4th.

That's on this years form.

budds has been the best hooker for some 5-6 years now... dont kid urself. same hold, budderous is THE smartest player, in the league. he knows wot to do and when, smith kicking game is better than budds, farah runnign game is better, priddus is the next best thing to budds. if ur sayn who is the best hooker in the world it would go
Budds, Priddus, Cam, and the Robbie...
on form smith is playn the bets but i think that goes hand in hand with the storm playing well... i think alot has to do with hill form to, so many ppl take that 4 granted... and the outside backs they have make it much easyer

nqboy

First Grade
Great post LG. Fantastic points made re Mason, SBW and Kennedy. Some real good debate and discussion posted here and lots of good points made.

For mine, Worlds Best Player goes on form and changes regularly. Johns has been the best for years but his powers are waning and he is less consistently dominant than he was. Lockyer struggled there for a while in Joey's shadow but is coming back to his best.

Cam Smith - fantastic player and I don't know what else he can do to go past Buderus who, for me, pushes Steve Tractor Boxhead Walters as the best hooker I've seen.

DeeGan

Bench
nqboy said:
Cam Smith - fantastic player and I don't know what else he can do to go past Buderus who, for me, pushes Steve Tractor Boxhead Walters as the best hooker I've seen.

I guess that pretty much sums it up.

Cameron Smith is at the moment ranking ahead of Buderus who is the best hooker I have seen, Steve Walters included.

The finals series will have an impact on this question when it is all said and done.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Well the finals are done. What do people think now? I'm going to say Lockyer is now the games best player. He was man of the series in orign and easily the player the player of the finals. He's stolen it back off Joey.

Mr Saab

Referee
He has not stolen anything.
Lockyer is a fine player and will go down as an all time great, but he is behind Johns

salivor

First Grade
Right now at this present moment I think he's the best player being man of the series for Qld and instrumental in the Broncos premiership.

Putting it into perspective though Johns finished looking very tired, whether it was the media hype around swear-gate or it being his first full season in a number of years he certainly was finishing with all cylinders firing. It's roles reversed from last year where Lockyer finished looking very tired and in need of a rest while Johns was playing probably the best football of his career.

Seeing these two at their peak at the same time going into a finals series would be something very special. Johns looks to only have another year left in him though so it's either next year or never really.

Leagueguy

Juniors
I think Lockyer could catch Johns. We're looking pretty good for Origin in the next couple of years and chances are he'll play a big role in that. Brisbane will be strong for the next few years as well. Lockyer still has plenty more to give. He seems to have the monkey off his back now so look out.

salivor

First Grade
Records wise I'm sure he can catch Johns, I think he's been the better player for Australia and at club level he has 2 more premierships and sure he'll have a couple of years on Johns now to match maybe series wins in Origin but overall as much as it pains me to say it, unless he can pull out something special he won't catch Johsn in terms of who's the better out and out player, records and acolades aside.

mattyg

Bench
I think Lockyer is the best player in the world at the moment. He has dominated all levels, won a number of premierships, has covered 2 vital positions in his team, always stands up in big games...the list goes on.

Leagueguy

Juniors
Salivor, I think Lockyer would need another Man of the Origin Series and would have to captain another premiership. That would put him there with Johns. I think they fact he played 2 positions might actually count in his favour in comparing him to Johns. Lockyer was possibly the greatest fullback of the last 20 years.

salivor

First Grade
Those 2 feats would put him close but what he's really lacking in his career is the Dally M award. How it's alluded him thus far I'll never know as he's the most instrumental player on the field in every game from the Broncos and you could make a case for him to get points every week.

Latest posts