What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Williams to break his silence

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Danny Weidler. Says it all.

I seriously hope everybody on this forum doesn't watch, and asks everyone else not to either.

Dave Q

Coach
Danny Weidler. Says it all.

I seriously hope everybody on this forum doesn't watch, and asks everyone else not to either.

I agree.

The media shouldnt be rewarded for filming the rugby league equivalent of a car accident.

I dont care what he says, what he did was weak.

He hurt a lot of people and the game.

He's not welcome into our lives any more.

As a game, I think we have to support the bulldogs and their people.

This is not a time for voyeurism. No compromise, be solid.

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
Breaking his silence would be a nice change from his last few appearances on the Footy Show. Pretty much all he has provided is silence.

The Tax Man

Juniors
The credibility of the interview has decreased as apparently it is a pre-recorded interview...that is just homo.

Pumba

First Grade
MBW before you go on the footy show & bitch about the fishbowl life and media attention have a listen to Kid Rocks song "Roll On" or just read these lyrics.

Money and success
I don't complain about the stress
I wanted this and now it's here
So I don't bitch

The guy is a disgrace. Who cares what his reasons are, none are good enough to justify the manner in which he has behaved IMO. Everytime I have seen this guy in the media he comes across as a stuck up moron.

The guy complains about a fish bowl life in Sydney. He was a NRL player and scrutiny by the media comes with the turf. Players from every team understand this and most adapt.

This moron puts himself in positions where his behaviour in night club toilets is captured in pictures and wonders why the media take an interest in him. BLAH MORON!

He complains the Bulldogs made him say he has an alcohol problem and it wasn't true. Ok then MORON so you do stupid sh*t without the excuse of grog! even better.

God I don't think I could listen to any more of the circus this MORON and his fugtard manager have to dish up. I won't be watching.

Patorick

Staff member
http://news.leaguehq.com.au/sport/sbw-says-folkes-in-part-to-blame-20080807-3r9g.html

Sonny Bill Williams said former coach Steve Folkes was at the centre of his decision to abandon the club to take up a rugby contract with Toulon.

In an extract from Thursday night's interview on Channel Nine's Footy Show, published in News Limited newspapers, Williams said Folkes' questioning of his friendship with boxer Anthony Mundine earlier in the year had angered him.

"I rock up to training and Folkesy, Steve Folkes, someone, that to be honest, has never paid any interest in my personal life, he comes up to me and starts saying: `You're not turning Muslim are you?'," Williams said.

"I just laughed. I said, `Seriously you are joking' and then he has a go at Anthony: `You're kidding yourself if you take advice off him.'

"I start to think, `who is he to question my friends?'"

"Who does he think he is? Does he think he is God? Is he God or something?"

Williams went on to say he simply wasn't happy at the club.

"Obviously to do something like that (leave) I wasn't happy," he said.

"I haven't been happy at the Bulldogs for a while."

Folkes said Williams' comments counted for little.

"He will do anything now to try and justify this decision, regardless," Folkes said.

"It is indefensible.

"I was in the room last year when he agreed, shook hands and signed a deal to stay with us for five years.

"So regardless of what he says now, it's all pissing in the wind really."

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24138705-5006066,00.html

Sonny Bill Williams reveals why he quit

By Paul Kent, Chief Sports Writer | August 07, 2008 12:00am

TWELVE days after fleeing the country, Sonny Bill Williams has finally spoken.

Williams tells The Footy Show tonight that he had long been unhappy at the Bulldogs and that his life outside football is only now becoming settled.

Williams also reveals a troubled soul and a portrait of a man under the spell of manager Khoder Nasser and boxer Anthony Mundine.

One of the final straws was when Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes approached him at training earlier this year about newspaper reports he was becoming a Muslim.

"I rock up to training and Folkesy, Steve Folkes, someone that, to be honest, has never paid any interest in my personal life, he comes up to me and starts saying, 'You're not turning Muslim are you?' " Williams says. "I just laughed. I said, 'Seriously, you're joking', and then he has a go at Anthony: 'You're kidding yourself if you're taking advice off him.' "

Williams said it was only later that the comment irked him.

"I start to think, 'Who is he to question my friends?' "

Folkes last night took umbrage at Williams's suggestion, dismissing it totally.

"If you asked Hazem (El Masri) about how I perceive Muslims, you'll find I've often asked him questions about the religion because I don't fully understand it," he said.

"If something comes up that I heard, I ask him."

As for claims he took no personal interest in Williams, again they were heavily disputed.

"It's certainly not right of him to say that we took no interest in his home life or personal life," Folkes said.

"I supported him through the Clovelly Hotel thing (when he was caught allegedly having sex in the toilets with ironwoman Candice Falzon), his drink-driving thing, through his urinating in public thing.

"We stood up for him and did our best to try and get him through that so I think it is a pretty naive statement to make."

Folkes is adamant that his problem was not with Williams but the people he was associating with - and the skewed advice they were offering.

He believes their influence finally put Williams in a state of mind where he found it easy to walk out on his club and teammates.

More, he believes his advice has since turned out to be prudent, given Mundine's influence.

"In light of what has happened, my advice about him not putting too much credence into what Anthony Mundine says was probably good advice," he said.

It must be remembered: Mundine also walked out on his teammates midway through a season.

Still, Williams claims Folkes had no right to question his friends and that the comments upset him.

"Who is he to come and question my friends and their values and their religion?" he said.

"Who does he think he is? Does he think he is God? Is he God or something?

"Yeah, whatever comes out of his mouth, is that right?"

Williams also confirmed that Nasser is his manager despite Nasser's comical denials, designed to defend himself against allegations that he induced Williams to break his contract.

"When I did join up with Khoder and asked Khoder to manage me . . ." he says at one point.

The troubled Williams claimed he was unhappy at the Bulldogs for some time, and that his unhappiness was why he walked out on the club.

Aside from the tensions between him and Folkes, though, he does not reveal exactly what unsettled him or why he felt his only option was to leave.

Other than if it was money.

Williams has already said he believed he was being underpaid at $500,000 a year.

"Obviously to do something like that (leave), I wasn't happy," he said.

"I haven't been happy at the Dogs for a while.

"Nothing to do with the players, I love my close mates, but a whole range of things."

Once again, the statement and Williams' state of mind confuse the Bulldogs.

"It wasn't that long ago that he signed a five-year deal, so I assumed to commit to somewhere for five years he was happy to commit to that," Folkes said.

"I know Sonny has been going around crying poormouth about only earning $500,000 a year; can't survive on that.

"I don't know if it is just this generation, whether it is young footballers or Generation Y in general, but they expect everything and don't want to cough up for it.

"They expect that everything is going to be given to them on a platter and the fact he can't survive on $500,000 a year is a bit sad really."

Regardless, Folkes believes Williams' comments now count for little.

"He will do anything now to try and justify this decision, regardless," Folkes said.

"It is indefensible.

"I was in the room last year when he agreed, shook hands and signed a deal to stay with us five years.

"So regardless of what he says now, it's all p . . . . . . in the wind, really."

Kiki

First Grade
"Who does he think he is? Does he think he is God? Is he God or something?

oh my god SBW who do you think YOU are. talk about a God complex. he thinks contract law and common decency doesnt apply to him. SBW has always thought he was above everything. god he is such a hypocrite i hope french birds peck his tiny vacant eyes out.

Stranger

Coach
:lol: at the "i won't be watching" gang.

f**k oath ill be watching to see what sh*t the turd dribbles.

Pumba

First Grade
Should have kept his trap shut.

Folkes was leaving at the end of the year anyway DICKHEAD!

mattyg

Bench
truth behind this is pretty simple to me...sbw wanted Kearney as coach. We decided against getting Kearney as we wanted someone who was familiar with the players and within the club. SBW joins up with Mundine shortly before this, and he would have obviously been dissapointed he didnt get his own way with the coaching situation. Now all of a sudden SBW being the brainwashed idiot that he is listens to the clowns he has associated him with telling him that he should have gotten his own way and he is worth more than what he is getting. Then it ends up how it is today.

i know its a what if, but the dogs were always going to sack folkes this year.

they shouldve just bitten the bullet and done it at the start of the year.

theyd have kept mason and SBW.

and kevin moore like lie a dud coach.

SBW shouldnt have walked out on his contract but the club couldve made much better choices