What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Masons bags Union. Legend!

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
Willie Masons bags union on sports tonight. He said their is no use Gasnier and Tonga going to union because they will find it boring and catch a cold out in the centres. In league they are great players because they touch the ball. He said the converts (eg Rogers, Sailer, Tiquiri) don't get any ball and are wasted. Willie is a legend. I have been waiting for some league players to say this. It is so true.

The Dominator

Juniors
Whats up with rugby? Dont they have any decent backs coming through the ranks? Oh well, Willie is spot on, it's boring as hell.

blaine train

Juniors
Exactly. Surely Union must realise it's doing more harm then good singing League players only after the $. How would you feel if you were a good, young Union player and administration suddenly sign another League player?

Union will be stuffed when League can support itself and they suddenly have no talent left anymore

Mal Meninga

Bench
Union is played in every private school in NSW.
I love league but their is no way Union will 'have no talent left anymore'
Their Schoolboys program always recieves great exposure.

whatsdoing1982

Juniors
Mal Meninga said:
Union is played in every private school in NSW.
I love league but their is no way Union will 'have no talent left anymore'
Their Schoolboys program always recieves great exposure.

I went to a public school and thats why we always flogged the private schools in union and league. Not much talent at all in private schools.
Thats why they need to buy league players.

Big Bunny

Juniors
The Dominator said:
Whats up with rugby? Dont they have any decent backs coming through the ranks? Oh well, Willie is spot on, it's boring as hell.

No they don't and they rarely ever have. Years ago when rugby league picked up the occasional union player it tended be as a supplement in what was already a healthy and well rounded game. Union on the other hand buys players to be its major stars, its faces in the media and to try and look half interesting.

super_coach

First Grade
Big willie,the Rhode scholar he is,giving the media another throw away line.But the funny thing the media,keep going back back to him.Maybe with the players with an IQ above ten,are not a media target.

You cant compate union with league,different games.In the past league was on another level,skill toughness and fitness.The gap has closed in the past few years.But to compare the role of a league back with a union back (except to score)is very different.In saying that,most elite league backs,could adjust to union,but only a few union backs would make their mark in league. but that dosnt make one game better or worse.Theirs room for both

Nathan B

Juniors
super_coach said:
Big willie,the Rhode scholar he is,giving the media another throw away line.But the funny thing the media,keep going back back to him.Maybe with the players with an IQ above ten,are not a media target.

You cant compate union with league,different games.In the past league was on another level,skill toughness and fitness.The gap has closed in the past few years.But to compare the role of a league back with a union back (except to score)is very different.In saying that,most elite league backs,could adjust to union,but only a few union backs would make their mark in league. but that dosnt make one game better or worse.Theirs room for both

I have not seen Mason's comments, but if what was said is true, then he is merely comparing the number of times, say, a Gasnier would touch the ball in league as opposed to the number of times he would touch the ball in union.

This is a perfectly valid comparison to make. (Whether he's right or not is not the point.)

But I guess even Rhodes scholars like you even miss things sometimes.

The Business

Juniors
elidecelis said:
Read my signature and also consider Rugby didn't even want to talk to him last year.
Good to see Mason has seen the light. Having played both games and being a threequarter I believe Mason has a point.

Woods99

Juniors
Six tackles for us. Six tackles for you.

On the fifth tackle, the outside backs usually get a run.

In real rugby, you have to win possession, before you can play around with it.

Nathan B

Juniors
Woods99 said:
Six tackles for us. Six tackles for you.

On the fifth tackle, the outside backs usually get a run.

'...win possession...'. Nice choice of word!

What are the statistics on kicks in rugby union these days? Still one in every 37 seconds of play?

If only winning the lottery was as easy as 'winning' possession in rugby!

JK

"real rugby"

Pfft!

Evolution man! You are the neanderthals and will be supplanted by the younger, fitter and more responsive code.

ibeme

First Grade
Woods99 said:

I'd rather watch a pig eat porridge than watch the scrappy penalty fest that winning posession becomes in RU. It's glorified stacks on head stomping display which is destined to end in a mystery penalty or a kick into touch on the full.

I'd rather watch players use the ball than bury it in the pile of sh*t you call competing for posession. Ever wonder why they don't show rucks and mauls in the promos for RU?