What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Masons bags Union. Legend!

innsaneink

Referee
Im sure the powers that be in the ARU are laughing their heads off....Willie Mason?

If it was Webke, Barrett, Lockyer, Johns or Hindmarsh etc they may have cause for concern, but Mason.....:lol:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Six tackles for us. Six tackles for you.

On the fifth tackle, the outside backs usually get a run.

In real rugby, you have to win possession, before you can play around with it.

There's no use winning possession if you don't have the skill to do anything with it.

I suppose it is a contributing factor to why melbourne didn't want a s14 team.

Vicious

Bench
I`m a fan of Willie Mason. He`s the player every opposing fan and team loves to hate, he cops it on the chin and as much as he causes his fair amount of controversy, he`s unique, he`s a character and i know a lot of people will disagree with me, but i reckon he`s great for Rugby League.

Glen

Bench
While I do agree with Willie's bagging of Union, the guy is just full of sh*t. While I don't have quotes, I remember him talking up a possible move to union last year around his contract renewal time, obviously to bump up his price. Now he suddenly thinks the game sucks. It was pretty funny when Eddie Jones came out and said they wouldn't even want Mason

6togo

Juniors
One of the major problems I see with union is the fact that it is too easy to get field position. Say I am 10 metres out chances are I can put a kick into touch and we have a rough chance of winning possession on the half way line, with the lineout.

But with league you actually have to ruck it out and force the play, especially in today's game it is a constant battle. And the fact that you get limited tackles only adds to the game.

And the fact the defensive team gets back 1 metre and they still struggle defending. Was flicking between the breaks on Super Saturday last week and the tackles made in the 1st half of a super 14 game have something like 130 tackles, meanwhile back on Fox Sports 1, the league guys had a total of approx 190 (that's with a 10 metre rule).

And say 10 years ago you could say that the union guys had the wood over the league players kicking for goal, but now I think that trend has well and truly reversed. Sure they take some lower percentage kicks but that is only because the scoring system in union needs an overhaul and they have nothing in attack.

Mal Meninga

Bench
whatsdoing1982 said:
I went to a public school and thats why we always flogged the private schools in union and league. Not much talent at all in private schools.
Thats why they need to buy league players.
No you didn't. What private schools play league? None. No GPS, ISA or CAS schools promote league and are committed to union.
What Public school did you go to and beat private school teams? Joeys, View, etc etc etc carve up the schoolboy sides.

FWIW, I think Union buy league players to raise the the profile of their game.

Mal Meninga

Bench
And aswell Gasnier or Tonga going to Union would absolutely carve it up.
Their aren't many good outside centres apart from Umaga and O'Driscoll who could keep up with Gaz.

legend

Coach
Is it just me or do the League players put on 10 kg's when they go to Union because Tuqiri is huge now compared to when he was in League.

Green Machine

First Grade
Woods99 said:
Six tackles for us. Six tackles for you.

On the fifth tackle, the outside backs usually get a run.

In real rugby, you have to win possession, before you can play around with it.

Seems such a waste to win possession (which goes with the head 99/100) and then boot the ball straight away into the back row of the grandstand

Green Machine

First Grade
elidecelis said:
Read my signature and also consider Rugby didn't even want to talk to him last year.
What is your point? You are quoting an idiot who does not know what he is talking about. How bright does that make you?

What an absolute champion....

I too have been waiting for someone to come out and say something like that. A little bit of peer pressure goes a long way. What a legend

sharkadelic

Juniors
Willie coming out with that reminds me of that saying about 10000 monkeys with 10000 typewriters could eventually type Shakespeare.

I personally would rate watching a game of Yawnion up there with a hot coffee enema. Neither would be desirable under any circumstances.

fatshark

Bench
If there is one player who would go terrible at Union its Gaz. i think the shimmys from a standing start wont be used to start off with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well said Willie, you've moved up two notches in my estimation (still pretty low though!)

Someone did some stats on the amount of times Jason Robinson got the ball in his hands in his first year playing for England compared to his last year at Wigan. It was something like 70% less during each game! Money for old rope, no wonder the lazy ar$es want to sign for the ARU!