What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Oh yeah he also said he is looking forward to playing with the Canterbury boys. Something about winning a comp with Reni in 2004.

Gronk

Staff member
Why Cowboys star Willie Tonga had to get out of Townsville
379436-willie-tonga.jpg

QUEENSLAND star Willie Tonga has dismissed speculation a fallout with coach Neil Henry was behind his shock decision to quit the Cowboys and join Parramatta.

Breaking his silence with The Courier-Mail, Tonga opened up about his relationship with Henry, his inability to settle in Townsville and his desire to help rebuild the embattled Eels alongside brother Esi and fellow Cherbourg product Chris Sandow next year.
Last November it was reported Tonga's manager Isaac Moses had started shopping his client around the National Rugby League amid suggestions the Maroons centre was unhappy playing under Henry.
But Tonga says his sense of isolation in north Queensland, rather than any ill feeling towards Henry, was behind his decision to seek a release from the final year of his contract.
"I don't have a problem with Neil at all," Tonga said.
"My relationship with him is fine.
"It's no different to any other player-coach relationship. He'll tell me when I'm out of line when he thinks I am and that's what a coach does.
"I can honestly say I don't have an issue at all with Neil."
Just turned 28, Tonga can understand why some would raise eyebrows at his wanting out of the Cowboys.
He joined the club in 2009 desperate to revive his career after two injury plagued years at the Bulldogs and has since reclaimed his Origin and Test status.
Tonga says the problem is not the club itself, but his battle to settle into the Townsville way of life. He revealed that earlier this season he met with Cowboys football manager Peter Parr to outline his concerns.
"From the whole time I've been up there, to be honest, I just haven't felt comfortable," he said.
"I haven't been able to call Townsville home.
"It's a shame it hasn't worked out because football-wise I am happy. It's a great club. It's going to be sad to leave but I'm looking forward to next year.
"I spoke to Parry earlier this year. I sat down and I told him how I was feeling. He understood that and respected that.
"I really respected him for allowing me to look around to see what was available because he could have easily said no. That's the type of bloke he is.
"It was a lot to do with family. I've got no family here and it gets tough at times when you don't have that support.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ut-of-townsville/story-e6frep5x-1226122433766

Gronk

Staff member
"Tatey has been great for us," his centre partner Willie Tonga said.
"He put his hand up (after the Warriors game) and said a few words that really hit home.
"He said in the finals you can't predict what will happen, whatever has happened in the past 26 weeks is now gone.
"He told us the past is out of our control and we need to start again and look forward to the finals."
The clash with the Sea Eagles has a personal edge for Tonga.
It could be his final game for the Cowboys before he joins Parramatta next season.
Then there is his duel with Manly centre Jamie Lyon, his former Parramatta teammate whose presence in the Eels' three-quarter line forced Tonga to reluctantly quit the club in 2003.
Tonga joined the Bulldogs the next season to restart his NRL career and he hopes to give Lyon a taste of his own medicine tomorrow night.
"I couldn't get a start at Parra because of Jamie so it would be good to get one up on him," Tonga said.
"I moved down there (Parramatta) and he had just started playing first grade himself, but I couldn't get a crack because he and Dave Vaealiki were the centres, so I had to move on.
"I'm looking forward to playing against him. He's a classy centre and he's been at the top for a while now.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...clash-with-manly/story-e6frep5x-1226132614075

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Vaealiki. Wow, he showed great form when he was holding out Tonga. Then soon as Tonga left....

Whats David doing these days? Last I heard he was playing Union somewhere but that was a couple of years ago.

Vaealiki. Wow, he showed great form when he was holding out Tonga. Then soon as Tonga left....

Whats David doing these days? Last I heard he was playing Union somewhere but that was a couple of years ago.
Retired due to arthritis in his knee, runs a fitness centre for a church group in manly.
I know this because he came in the shop earlier in the year when he was holidaying up here and I asked him.

Eels Dude

Coach
Retired due to arthritis in his knee, runs a fitness centre for a church group in manly.
I know this because he came in the shop earlier in the year when he was holidaying up here and I asked him.

He's another who actually signed with Manly a couple of years after coming back to from the ESL... did an off season's worth of training with them only to quit a few weeks before the season started to go to rugby.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
personally I cant see how Tonga is rated so highly as the no 3 centre for Australia

good player but not that good imo

Avenger

Immortal
personally I cant see how Tonga is rated so highly as the no 3 centre for Australia

good player but not that good imo

Statistically he is one of the best centres in the game and in 2010 was actually number 1. He gives you plenty of bang for your buck and is better value than a player like Inglis.

BD5733

Juniors
...and his link with JT got him in there too.

I agree that he is no longer one of the best centres in our game. But the best centres in our game are wankers who have 'retired' from representing their state and country.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
how good, next year our halves will be feeding the ball to an international centre not a backrower

Latest posts