What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Tonga signs with Pirtek Parramatta Eels

caylo

Bench
Lawrence has been playing rep level footy for comfortably the past two years. And he has been playing at a high level ever since his debut, he had some defensive issues when he came onto the scene but he's certainly fixed that, and he's so dangerous with the ball. Excellent player who would have played Origin this year if not for injury, and probably should have played last year.

I agree, Lawrence is very good and probably is one of the best hole runners. Its almost as if he always runs between players rather then at player but tonga is more likely to beat someone one on one. I think personally I would have them on par in terms of ability but Tonga is proven over time and at the highest level, something Lawrence is yet to do. That also means Tonga is past his best while Lawrence has his best in front of him.

Irrespective a centre pairing of Tonga-Loko will be one of the better in the comp and provides a lot of size and speed outwide. It also means that there is 2 or 3 target players out wide that the defence will look at and someone like Hayne could be used as a decoy for Tonga and vise versa.

Bazal

Post Whore
I still think all the folks dreaming of a Tonga/Loko centre pairing will get a shock when the side runs our in Rd 1 next year....but we'll see.

MrT

Juniors
I still think all the folks dreaming of a Tonga/Loko centre pairing will get a shock when the side runs our in Rd 1 next year....but we'll see.

I'd have no problem even if Loko spent the season on the left wing outside Willie. How strong would that left side be. It all depends where Burt will play but Loko needs to be in 1st grade next year when he recovers

Loko, Sio, Gagan, Vai Toutai and Esi Tonga are the future of our backline.

Boy there is some potential there

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I agree.

I reckon it'll be Tonga/Morgan or Tonga/Tonga. I reckon Loko will be bottom of the pecking order when he comes back from injury next year.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I would probably settle for morning tea, but I do agree that he's superior at this stage of their careers

I know Tonga has missed some games this year with injury, but wow...

Go watch Origin 1 again and tell me who is the better player on this years form.

Anyway, Tonga was DEFINITELY better than Lawrence in last nights games - I didn't even notice Lawrence out there :sarcasm:

elyod138

Bench
I wouldn't get too excited about Tonga yet.

He has been well below par this year, even Antonio Winterstein performed better in the centres for the Cowboys.

He refuses to pass the ball to his winger, which is extremely frustrating when a gun like Kalifa Faifai Loa is standing there unmarked screaming for the ball.

He showed good heart in that origin game but he hasn't shown much else this year, as a Cowboys fan I'm glad that we've gotten rid of him and freed up some cash.

Who knows though? His performances could be down to him not being happy and he may be a different player next year. Good luck.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Go watch Origin 1 again and tell me who is the better player on this years form.

You want us to judge the pair of them based on one game in which only one of them played?

You're normally one of the more cluey posters on here but your comments about Chris Lawrence have so far all seemed to be grounded in emotion.

Are you a Tigers hater or do you have a personal grudge against Lawrence?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm a big fan of Chris Lawrence. But Willie Tonga is all class. He may be down on form, but he is a damn fine player. Stoked he's back. Plus he's miles ahead of our centres (and I don't mean that with any disrespect to Morgan or Loko, who, I both rate, and Smith and Horo, who are doing a good job but are second-rowers playing out of position).

CrazyEel

Bench
I'm a big fan of Chris Lawrence. But Willie Tonga is all class. He may be down on form, but he is a damn fine player. Stoked he's back. Plus he's miles ahead of our centres (and I don't mean that with any disrespect to Morgan or Loko, who, I both rate, and Smith and Horo, who are doing a good job but are second-rowers playing out of position).
Spot on Eele, I too am really pleased to get Tonga, will be great to finally have a strike centre outside a dominant half at the Eels, been a long time since I've seen that.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You want us to judge the pair of them based on one game in which only one of them played?

You're normally one of the more cluey posters on here but your comments about Chris Lawrence have so far all seemed to be grounded in emotion.

Are you a Tigers hater or do you have a personal grudge against Lawrence?

I think you're misreading what I'm saying?

All I'm suggesting is that Tonga is a better player than Lawrence. Sure, Lawrence was dynamite the previous 2 weeks, but I'm arguing that Tonga is still a better centre than him.

This does not mean that I think Lawrence is a bad player - I think he's a tremendous centre (you may have noticed above that I hinted he should've been NSW player last year) - but I don't want people devaluing the abilities of Tonga by suggesting that he's simply a mediocre centre.

When we got Tahu back from union I was stoked - yes, a class player out wide.
Signing Tonga is that with again with gravy on top. Although he has certain defensive lapses, all told he's a wonderful talent, and one of the best centres in the game.

Don't take my word for it that he's better than Lawrence, go ask the Tigers coach which guy he preferred at the end of last season in the Aussie team.

Yeah yeah, they're both a year older now, but Lawrence has only played 7 games of footy this season (2 were sublime). To argue that Lawrence is now better is obviously to make a judgement call based on 2 games of football....
For me that's not enough of a sample size - stoked that we've got Tonga for the next 2 seasons.
At the end of that time will Lawrence be a better footy player? Most likely yes - but as of right now, we've got the better one.

oh - and I don't hate the Tigers or Lawrence at all.

jono

Juniors
I'm hoping that aside from a bit of stability and strikepower in the centres , Willie can mentor the young Lokomotive

Maroubra Eel

Coach
So what did he say ?

He said he is looking forward to coming home to Parra. He said that playing alongside his brother was a big reason for him signing.
He also said he is looking forward to being a senior player with us and taking a leadership role.

He also said some crap about how good Bowen and Thurston are and all sorts of other Cowboys rubbish.