What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willy Mason

roopy

Referee
It would be nice if we could have him show up fully fit for 80 minutes every week for the footy season, but babysitting him for the other 99% of the time would be a nightmare.

AdamT

Juniors
antonius said:
Mason thinks he's bigger than the game. If what is reported is correct, I wouldn't be letting him train for a pro boxing bout either, FFS the Dogs are paying him a heap of money to play footy, why would they give him permission to box? The more I see and hear of Mason the more I'm convinced he's so far up himself his head'll stick out his mouth shortly, let him piss off to England.

Joey always thought HE was bigger than the game and he proved he was. They made special dispensations to enable him to double his salary to $1M when he threatened to walk to Union.

When he didnt want to train - he didnt have to.... I can go on and on

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
When willys last contract was up at the bulldogs, he prolonged the negotiating process looking for top dollar and told the media that rugby league players only have about 10 years in them, so it's important to get as much money as possible. 1 or 2 years later sonny bill Williams comes of contract. Mason tells SBW and the media that playing in a good team is more important then money and he's in SBW ear trying to convince him to stay.

Now over a minor disagreement he is acting like a spoilt brat and threatening to take his bat and ball and go over to england.

Mason obviously doesn't practice what he preaches. One rule for willy, one rule for the rest of the team!

The bloke's dumb as dog sh!t!

Spitty

Juniors
He'd definately be a crowd favourite in Newy and he's a top player, but last I heard he didn't want to leave Sydney. Plus we've had enough drama lately. I liked it better when we were out of the papers, he's drag us back in there.

Belly07

Juniors
Nuffy said:
Hes leaving the Dogs,

Should we have a crack at him?

After all he is a Trono boy.

Thoughts

I can't beleive what I'm reading here. We all have complained at the Knights lack of forward direction and agression, and virtually everybody is against the idea of the Knights signing arguably the best front or back row forward in the game. Let's get realistic here. We want success, and to do that you need great players. Willie is a local boy - that creates passion, something the current blend of plyers lack!!! Add to that that he would easily be the forward leader in the pack and the direction and experience that this player would be able to provide to our good, but not great bunch of juniors coming through.....I beleive we should seriously consider that signing Willie would be in the best interests of the club. Not just short term, but into the future when the younger players come through having seen what it takes to be a great player. Sign him!!! Sign him now!!!

reginald.p

Juniors
We wouldn't be able to offer him anywhere near what he is worth since all our salary cap for the next few years would be spent on young players on long term contracts. The only way we could pay for him is if Danny buderus went to england next year, but i hope that doesn't happen.

Burwood

Bench
Isn't Willie Mason exactly the type of player that Brian Smith has been trying to weed out of the club? He wants to get rid of the drinking culture at Newcastle, and I don't see Mason fitting into that plan.

Jono078

Referee
Yeah i'm a bit suprised that not so many people want him, imo one of the best forwards in the game.

But yeah he can bring in some negative press to us which we would obviously not want after what happend this year.

He said if he goes he'll be on match payments most likely, sounds good to me, but I doubt he'll leave Sydney, he'll go to Roosters IMO.

otori

Juniors
Mason is actually a really top bloke. Met him in the city once when I was out (Brisbane) and he was a really affable guy. Had a chat with me and my mate.

He's just got a strange media personality because he was really different to meet in person.

PS We have about as much chance of signing Folau as a bucket has of learning braille. The guy will go back to Queensland cause he misses his family. We need to go after Weepu if Buderus leaves. Piri Weepu would be the biggest coup signing.

Jono078

Referee
I can see the Knights and Ennis wanting to come back here, whether our coach would or not is another story.

Wouldnt be a bad move though, he looked great last year before injury, this year didnt get that many great chances IMO.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Jono078 said:
I can see the Knights and Ennis wanting to come back here, whether our coach would or not is another story.

Wouldnt be a bad move though, he looked great last year before injury, this year didnt get that many great chances IMO.

He's a good player and all, but, after doing his crusciate so early on his career, gotta wonder how long it'll hold for him, and what it's going to do to his mobility later on in his career? I don't think Joey ever fully recovered from it. Scott Prince went through worse, but he's the exception rather than the rule.

Jono078

Referee
Johns was at the back end of his career aswell though.

Ennis is still only 22 or so, and up in Brisbane they would have gave him top treatment and all.

Also wouldnt be as expencive which would allow us to use money elsewhere instead of throwing it all at the likes of a Piri Weepu who really is unproven.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I'd really like them to make a play at Cam Smith, Farah or Payne if Bedsy goes. We've got the cash.

Edit: On Ennis, meh, I still find it hard to believe he f**ked up that try which would've got us into the finals back in 04. The idiot just had to pick up the ball.

strewth_mate

Bench
Edit: On Ennis, meh, I still find it hard to believe he f**ked up that try which would've got us into the finals back in 04. The idiot just had to pick up the ball.

From memory, did Andrew Price duff a try in the same set? God that was a frustrating game :crazy:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
strewth_mate said:
From memory, did Andrew Price duff a try in the same set? God that was a frustrating game :crazy:

Yep! One of the most frustrating games I've ever watched that one!

I don't know why people here are pushing for ennis when he signed a 5 year long contract with brisbane

Whats Doing

Bench
Contracts can be broken if both parties agree. PJ Marsh is the classic example. I am not sure Ennis would be that thrilled with the signing of Marsh and may want to come back to Newie if Bedsy does leave.

We will have 12 months to see whether Ennis has fully recoverd from his injury.

Latest posts