What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

horrie hastings

First Grade
Massive value. I didn't find any at my LL. A shame.

What area is your local Liquorland ? Not sure all stores would have ordered the ridiculous amounts that our manager did at the time.
Another red, Thymiopoulos Atma Red was in the range reduced to clear for $5 and this lady took all our stock which was 36 bottles, cleared our other store in the centre of what they had and keeps ringing every day to see if we can more stock in .

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've been out for a long time now obviously, but I guarantee the same reds especially are near the top of the tree once you get out of the base level. Saltram/Pepperjack shiraz, Taylors shiraz, anything Penfolds, Wynns Estate CSM, Grant Burge, Wirra Wirra Church Block, etc etc. There'll be some decent wines in the list, but they're all very old fashioned.
Even though you have been out for a long time now, nothing has changed, still the top sellers and flag ship of Liquorland, it is so unremarkable and boring .

horrie hastings

First Grade
Its a bit of a cross between vermentino and riesling. Jim Barry imported vines to Australia years back and sell the only known Australian grown fruit for $35 I think. Sam showed me the plantings and its fascinating. They're using it to hedge for when Clare will be too hot to grow riesling and they're increasing the plantings as assyrtiko loves heat.
Hmm got the the mineral smell that you get with riesling when i opened the bottle plus the citrus lemon smell on the nose, exactly how you described it a cross between a vermentino and riesling, more riesling characteristics the further i drank it, excellent wine, wishing i would have got all the stock when it was reduced but glad i got a few bottles.Will check out the other two shops in the area to see if they have any left.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Maaaaan I think it's such a Pandora's box question in a way because it goes ultimately to the core of the wine industry. Which is that, IMO, until very recently the whole industry has essentially been a conservative, change averse bunch of old folks making wine basically for themselves. Locals love their own regions, but otherwise it's the same juice wherever you go.

You and I and SGL and anyone else who's ever worked in the industry know exactly what I mean. It's the old bloke who comes in wanting a shiraz, but actually meaning he wants nothing except Pepperjack. Because "shiraz" is only high ABV fruit syrup from the Barossa and anything else is "rough". Cab sav is overcooked mint and black currant jam from SA as well. Merlot is fruit water that's prized for having no character. Only red wines that are "smooth" are worth drinking.

For a long time the majority of wine drinkers were this bloke, IMO, and the industry grew up around them. Even our generation who have grown up leaning more into wine are stuck with the beliefs of our parents. The best thing a wine can be is big and smooth (meaningless terms). And then when we went into the US market, f**ken Yellowtail and Rosemount were the world beaters and set the tone for our export industry.

I've been out for a long time now obviously, but I guarantee the same reds especially are near the top of the tree once you get out of the base level. Saltram/Pepperjack shiraz, Taylors shiraz, anything Penfolds, Wynns Estate CSM, Grant Burge, Wirra Wirra Church Block, etc etc. There'll be some decent wines in the list, but they're all very old fashioned.

And once you get outside Australia, if you don't think French wine is the benchmark in all cases you're not a true wine snob. Granted it can be in many, but the attachment to the past is so strong. Personally I'd go to a Super Tuscan over most Bourdeaux...

I won't write an essay, although I could lol...but FFS saperavi is still badged as an alternative variety even though it's literally the original red wine as far as written history goes goes. I do have hope thanks to younger drinkers though, because wine is cool again and when things are cool change happens. People actively seek out points of difference because stuffy old fruit jam from Pepperjack is not cool. It's grandads wine, and no one wants that unironically.
Well written. Very accurate.

There's a role and a place for old fashioned wine. I'm not averse to it. But when the majority of the market is driven by it, you begin to get very tired very quickly with it.

I love f**king massive shiraz at occasions like Christmas. Cracking a Grange or whatever and watching everyone enjoy something good is part of my love of wine.

But in all other circumstances, especially drinking wine watching footy, I do like diversity. I think some of the Langmeil stuff is the only wine I go back to regularly. Their Mataro and Black Widow fascinate and keep me interested. And they're affordable.

I still reckon the best value wine is the $6.99 Nero that Aldi dish up from Sicily. Why buy Barossa Shiraz when you can get that for Tuesday night quaffing...

Drew-Sta

Staff member
What area is your local Liquorland ? Not sure all stores would have ordered the ridiculous amounts that our manager did at the time.
Another red, Thymiopoulos Atma Red was in the range reduced to clear for $5 and this lady took all our stock which was 36 bottles, cleared our other store in the centre of what they had and keeps ringing every day to see if we can more stock in .
Closest to me is Sutherland or Heathcote. Sutherland have two LL's because they're silly. Neither had them but I might have had a 'boy look' and missed them.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Hmm got the the mineral smell that you get with riesling when i opened the bottle plus the citrus lemon smell on the nose, exactly how you described it a cross between a vermentino and riesling, more riesling characteristics the further i drank it, excellent wine, wishing i would have got all the stock when it was reduced but glad i got a few bottles.Will check out the other two shops in the area to see if they have any left.
Glad you're enjoying it. I rate it the variety a lot.

Jim Barry's offering is quite good IMHO. They're testing to see how it ages (with the aim that they have various tiers of offering and the upper tier is considered a direct riesling alternative, whereby you cellar specific wines and drink fresh the rest). I believe they're increasing plantings every year.

Their anticipation to do this is quite remarkable and at odds with the industries general reluctance to deal with the changing environment.

Bazal

Post Whore
Well written. Very accurate.

There's a role and a place for old fashioned wine. I'm not averse to it. But when the majority of the market is driven by it, you begin to get very tired very quickly with it.

I love f**king massive shiraz at occasions like Christmas. Cracking a Grange or whatever and watching everyone enjoy something good is part of my love of wine.

But in all other circumstances, especially drinking wine watching footy, I do like diversity. I think some of the Langmeil stuff is the only wine I go back to regularly. Their Mataro and Black Widow fascinate and keep me interested. And they're affordable.

I still reckon the best value wine is the $6.99 Nero that Aldi dish up from Sicily. Why buy Barossa Shiraz when you can get that for Tuesday night quaffing...

TBH I've almost totally gone off the big reds. I'll still drink them over winter especially in Canberra, but otherwise I mostly pour the big Barossa reds I have left in the cellar for guests. My go to for Xmas has generally been a Clonakilla S/V or Syrah, although last year I did a Nerello Mascalase from Etna cos we did the outdoor charcuterie lunch.

Old fashioned wine is fine and some even still makes it into my buying roster - Wynn's cabernet for eg. And I love grabbing something like a Teusner or a Torbreck or a Kalleske or whatever and showing people hey, you love that f**ken Pepperjack or whatever but this is what you could actually be drinking. But also we went to Chateau Tanunda when we were in the Barossa and I literally think I found everything near to undrinkable.

It's not even that SA wines are the problem, it's just the stagnation of it. I love a lot of Barossa and McClaren wineries. Langmeil like you said, always great wines but I think it's because they have moved with the times a bit - even their big Barossa shiraz have a point of difference. I always find a cherry cola note in the Valley Floor shiraz and they usually avoid making it syrupy. St Hallett, Kalleske, Teusner, Torbreck, Two Hands, and loads of others make great wine.

But the SA wineries I love are like Yelland & Papps and SC Pannell, who are doing super cool stuff. Which is a great sign! There is movement, and towards alternate varieties, it's just been a bit slow. The Y & P Vin de Soif is beautiful and almost the total opposite of what Barossa red "should be", and the SCP range has more alternate wines than standards.

That Aldi Nero is amazing value and I grab a bunch every time they have it here. Even when I'm spending a bit more, like, you can get this and plenty of other weird wines for $20 at Dans (although it's not on their website which is weird cos I got like a month ago)

https://www.billybuttonwines.com.au/product/2021-billy-button-rosso

horrie hastings

First Grade
Closest to me is Sutherland or Heathcote. Sutherland have two LL's because they're silly. Neither had them but I might have had a 'boy look' and missed them.
Yeah not sure whether every store stocked them but our area manager at the time pushed his stores to stock them, his area mainly covered inner west, and areas like Maroubra and Eastgardens., We ended up moving our stock up the back of the shop and placed them with the clean skins.
We have another shop in the centre , one attached to a Coles and i went over in my break to check whether they had any and still have stock, lol i mentioned the name to the staff members and they didn't have a clue what i was talking about, then i said the $5 Greek wines and they go oh yes.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
TBH I've almost totally gone off the big reds. I'll still drink them over winter especially in Canberra, but otherwise I mostly pour the big Barossa reds I have left in the cellar for guests. My go to for Xmas has generally been a Clonakilla S/V or Syrah, although last year I did a Nerello Mascalase from Etna cos we did the outdoor charcuterie lunch.

Old fashioned wine is fine and some even still makes it into my buying roster - Wynn's cabernet for eg. And I love grabbing something like a Teusner or a Torbreck or a Kalleske or whatever and showing people hey, you love that f**ken Pepperjack or whatever but this is what you could actually be drinking. But also we went to Chateau Tanunda when we were in the Barossa and I literally think I found everything near to undrinkable.

It's not even that SA wines are the problem, it's just the stagnation of it. I love a lot of Barossa and McClaren wineries. Langmeil like you said, always great wines but I think it's because they have moved with the times a bit - even their big Barossa shiraz have a point of difference. I always find a cherry cola note in the Valley Floor shiraz and they usually avoid making it syrupy. St Hallett, Kalleske, Teusner, Torbreck, Two Hands, and loads of others make great wine.

But the SA wineries I love are like Yelland & Papps and SC Pannell, who are doing super cool stuff. Which is a great sign! There is movement, and towards alternate varieties, it's just been a bit slow. The Y & P Vin de Soif is beautiful and almost the total opposite of what Barossa red "should be", and the SCP range has more alternate wines than standards.

That Aldi Nero is amazing value and I grab a bunch every time they have it here. Even when I'm spending a bit more, like, you can get this and plenty of other weird wines for $20 at Dans (although it's not on their website which is weird cos I got like a month ago)

https://www.billybuttonwines.com.au/product/2021-billy-button-rosso

Again, well written and can't argue with this at all.

I'll check out the rosso and I'll check out the Y&P stuff. I've heard about them.

Bazal

Post Whore
2011 Clonakilla Ballinderry. A shithouse vintage in Canberra...but not for cabernet. Still not great, but better than for most other things. Cab sav, merlot, cab franc. Still travelling along well, probably no improvement left in it though. Black fruits, plenty of cigar oak but well integrated, it's gone into tomato and leather and vegetal places with with age which I enjoy. Still pretty tight which is no surprise given the cold, wet vintage. Not the best Ballinderry but still a very good red.

2018 Artemis Shiraz, Southern Highlands. My pick of the southern highlands vineyards (although Tertini is close behind). You can even grab this at Dans, or at least they used to carry it. I really like how aromatic they make their wines. This smells like a cherry orchard, with the fruit and the leaves and wood and soil all together. Cherries, soft pepper, vanilla and clove-heavy chai. Super tasty.

nick87

Coach
Im drinking a lot of Rose at the moment

My favourite right now is the Josef Chromy Pepik from Tassy. Excellentnot too sweet rose that goes about $15-18 a bottle. Also been enjoying the Mud House sauvignon blanc from NZ.
I spend a bit on wine at resturants but for day to day drops i try to keep it under $20

My wife and i got a vintec wine fridge for our 10th year anniversary last year and we're slowly populating it with wine for the future. Mostly focused on heavy bordeaux and some local canberra reds we've liked at resturants and sancerre whites which is my favourite.

Bazal

Post Whore
2022 William Downie Cathedral Pinot Noir. My work team bought me a six pack to send me off on parental leave...handy gift I thought. Can't remember I put it in here before

Mornington and King Valley fruit. Wild ferment, minimal intervention, all that. Super good. Crunchy tart berries, pretty dense for a pinot (even a Mornington) but loads of acid to balance it. Nice earthy, aniseed notes through finish, a little sappy. Complicated enough to be interesting but easy AF to drink. Big fan. Will go a few years too

Bazal

Post Whore
2022 Collector Firebird Nero d'Avola. Fruit from the Tumblong Hills vineyard in Gundagai.

Super, super good. Wild, leafy blackberries super ripe cherries, rose water, pink pepper, cloves. Australia just needs to make more f**ken Nero!

Drew-Sta

Staff member
2022 Collector Firebird Nero d'Avola. Fruit from the Tumblong Hills vineyard in Gundagai.

Super, super good. Wild, leafy blackberries super ripe cherries, rose water, pink pepper, cloves. Australia just needs to make more f**ken Nero!
I'd like to see us make more complex nero too. It grows great in the Riverland but its a bit simple. The stuff in different climates is what we need ala Gundagai. There's a few in Heathcote I've tried which are excellent.

Bazal

Post Whore
Domaine de Binet Wild Fiano

Wild fermented, obvs, Also sees a few months in oak. Grapefruit, lime leaf, fragrant citrus. But the wild ferment and the oak gives it texture and depth. It's still clean and crisp but it has a bit of stewed quince roundness, and a little leesy kick. Cool wine, easy to get through

Drew-Sta

Staff member
When was this ? Walked into Dans at Port Macquarie today and it was $14 a bottle, didn't go into Dans specifically looking for that but would picked up a couple of bottles if it was $9.95.
Was on a gondola end last week at $9.95. Stupid pricing really.