What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
I generally go by the rule that if you pay say less than $16 for a bottle of red, its gonna be shit.

I generally pay around $20 to $25

Depends. You can pick up some real gems under 15 and even under 10. The Wynns mentioned earlier is a great example, often you can get it for 9 bucks from either of the big chains. 2008 Waterwheel Memsie is a mainstay of mine for an every day red, cracking wine and I get it for $9.99. Might cry when the vintage finally ends! Both the big chains have some excellent quality imports in the 10-20 range as well, sometimes less.

Case in point, I tasted a Mitchelton shiraz at Dans the other week, not knowing the price. It was really nice, I was stoked that it came in at about 12.80 and bought a dozen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wish I could afford to buy it by the case, its so much cheaper

I tried it once but the f**king wine doesn't last too long, lol, end up drinking about 2 or 3 bottles a night.

_Johnsy

Referee

I tried it once but the f**king wine doesn't last too long, lol, end up drinking about 2 or 3 bottles a night.

I know the feeling, once I fill the wine fridge up. It's sitting there & its too difficult not to drink.

Noa

First Grade
Big fan of spanish wines, especailly there Rose and sparklings. Having a similar climate to us in lots of areas makes them a better drink on average I feel.

Bazal

Post Whore

I have so much wine...got the Vintec stock with all the good stuff I wanna keep for a while, then I have boxes and boxes of drink now stuff lying around

Bazal

Post Whore
Big fan of spanish wines, especailly there Rose and sparklings. Having a similar climate to us in lots of areas makes them a better drink on average I feel.

Love a good Rioja and I've just started getting into wines from Priorat. Very different for someone who is used to Aussie shiraz etc, but I like different!!

_Johnsy

Referee
Love a good Rioja and I've just started getting into wines from Priorat. Very different for someone who is used to Aussie shiraz etc, but I like different!!

That’s the thing I really enjoy about wine, trying different varieties etc. Constantly expanding your palate.

I don’t know if you guys attend this thing (Good Food & Wine Show) but we (me & beautiful bride) go with our best mates and have an absolute ball every year. Been going 6 years and it gets better every year. Do yourself a favour take the day off work and go with some mates and you’ll love it.

Great day, great wine & some great food. Picked up a bottle of Barossa Valley Estate E&E Black Pepper Shiraz for a bargain in 2009.

Bazal

Post Whore
Rep gave me a sample bottle of the 2006 Black Pepper...looking forward to cracking it at some stage.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh you definitely drink it. Sometimes it just needs to age, because it's not in balance or it's just too young on the whole. The more expensive, often the longer it's made to last. I've been drinking some back vintage Penfolds Bin when mates come over...very nice.

_Johnsy

Referee
Oh you definitely drink it.

Agree 100% Baz. There is expensive wine, and then there is expensive wine.

I liken it to a car. Why buy an expensive car if you dont get to enjoy it ? Makes no sense I buy nice wine to drink it with my wife and mates, only way to enjoy it.

Three things that are very important & go perfectly together, good wine, good food & good friends (laughter).

Johns Magic

Referee
Depends. You can pick up some real gems under 15 and even under 10. The Wynns mentioned earlier is a great example, often you can get it for 9 bucks from either of the big chains. 2008 Waterwheel Memsie is a mainstay of mine for an every day red, cracking wine and I get it for $9.99. Might cry when the vintage finally ends! Both the big chains have some excellent quality imports in the 10-20 range as well, sometimes less.

Case in point, I tasted a Mitchelton shiraz at Dans the other week, not knowing the price. It was really nice, I was stoked that it came in at about 12.80 and bought a dozen.

What about for whites? What price can you get a good quality bottle of white wine in Australia?

I was having this discussion with a friend the other day actually.

Bazal

Post Whore
What about for whites? What price can you get a good quality bottle of white wine in Australia?

Depends what you like. Decent Marlborough sav blanc is cheap as chips, I hate the stuff but plenty love it. There's plenty of good value chardonnay, riesling, blends and pinot grigio for 10-15.

_Johnsy

Referee

My wife loves Chardonnay, you can get a good solid bottle (Goundry or Taylors generally rate 85 & above on hallidays wine ratings for less than $15) and excellent bottles for $30 that rate in the mid 90's.

Although JM it all comes back to personal taste, you can have 10 people who enjoy wine and they'll all have different palates and prefer one over another.

Noa

First Grade
Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Traminer & Riesling (dont laugh, pay for a better drop) & Verdelho are some nice whites wine if you stray from the standard varieties. Lancaster Wines in WA do a magnificent late picked Chenin Blanc desert wine what goes down waaaaaaaay to easily.

Noa

First Grade
Everyone should do themselves a favour and grab a bottle of a good quality fortified wine like a muscat or Tawny port. Then sit back, watch the FNF and imagine your lord of the manor :)

_Johnsy

Referee
Viognier, Chenin Blanc, Traminer & Riesling (dont laugh, pay for a better drop) & Verdelho are some nice whites wine if you stray from the standard varieties. Lancaster Wines in WA do a magnificent late picked Chenin Blanc desert wine what goes down waaaaaaaay to easily.

The traminer riesling is outstanding with thai food (& I'm not a fan of white wine)

Bazal

Post Whore
Bump

Went to a tasting that included some Bordeaux, Burgundy and Chateauneuf du Pape today. Awesome stuff

Drinking a Plantagenet Cabernet at the moment...definitely a benchmark cab for me. Very very nice

Last edited:

Latest posts