What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yeah I have 2018.

That's really weird, particularly because I generally hate over the top oak. I've been drinking a lot of peated whiskey lately, not within the last seven days though but maybe that's dulled my sensitivity to the smoky aspect?

100% I got that purple and black fruit into red plums, really intense too. Not so much of the lavender/violet, it's definitely a big fruit forward malbec without much delicacy but I like that so no problems there for me. Plus I personally find that character more in Chilean malbec. On reflection I think I did get the oak earlier, but it presented as coffee/mocha. I never even thought smoke until you mentioned it and then I got a hint of it.

I'll have to try a second bottle...what a shame :p

A second bottle is a must :wink:

The alternate is our palate picks up different things. And that’s ok too.

Bazal

Post Whore
A second bottle is a must :wink:

The alternate is our palate picks up different things. And that’s ok too.

Oh yeah for sure, it's just a personal interest thing for me because normally I definitely pick up faults like smoke. And even if it is an over oak thing, I usually really notice and often hate wines that way overdo the oak. So I'm wondering if my palate is out of tune haha.

That said I had the last glass with some chunky, heavily rubbed but unsmoked beef ribs and it was so fruit driven and brilliant even three days old (refrigerated). So I'm definitely getting another bottle for a follow up test.

Bazal

Post Whore
@Scott Gourley's Lovechild @Bazal @ Drew- Sta

Any idea on this mystery that turned up at work ? I noticed it is on the Vintage Cellars website but it doesn't say a lot about it.

View attachment 45347

Well it's not one First Choice ever carried.

I know Picpoul is a pretty uncommon grape and from memory very acidic, so normally used to blend. But it's not one I have any real experience with because it's pretty uncommon

horrie hastings

First Grade
Well it's not one First Choice ever carried.

I know Picpoul is a pretty uncommon grape and from memory very acidic, so normally used to blend. But it's not one I have any real experience with because it's pretty uncommon

Yes, being doing a bit of research on the grape variety and it is mainly used to blend and as you say pretty uncommon. Will work out whether we just ship the box onto Vintage Cellars or just sell as an open wine to get rid of it, not really sure whether i want to try it myself.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
@Scott Gourley's Lovechild @Bazal @ Drew- Sta

Any idea on this mystery that turned up at work ? I noticed it is on the Vintage Cellars website but it doesn't say a lot about it.

View attachment 45347

Was an exclusive they brought in about two years ago. Was a silly purchase at the time and I remember tasting it as part of our competitive review.

It’s a v18 I think. Would be hard to find info as I think it was an exclusive label rather than exclusively brought in from overseas.

Was part of the first wave of imports that Coles brought in to combat the effectiveness of Woolies 2017 rosé experiment.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Was an exclusive they brought in about two years ago. Was a silly purchase at the time and I remember tasting it as part of our competitive review.

It’s a v18 I think. Would be hard to find info as I think it was an exclusive label rather than exclusively brought in from overseas.

Was part of the first wave of imports that Coles brought in to combat the effectiveness of Woolies 2017 rosé experiment.

That makes a lot of sense. I was puzzled when i opened the box, it just didn't even look like a wine, another Cole's brain wave.

Bazal

Post Whore

I remember when they used to consult premium product/VC managers on ELB import lines....

There was a good reason lol. Who the hell is going to actually move random Picpoul? Haha.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I remember when they used to consult premium product/VC managers on ELB import lines....

There was a good reason lol. Who the hell is going to actually move random Picpoul? Haha.

100%. Stuff like that needs a really category savvy buyer or consultation with your stores.

For someone at VC to do it too was all the more puzzling. They of all retailers should know Picpoul was never going to move.

Bazal

Post Whore
100%. Stuff like that needs a really category savvy buyer or consultation with your stores.

For someone at VC to do it too was all the more puzzling. They of all retailers should know Picpoul was never going to move.

That's the way it went though, just totally random unfocused strategy. Which is why I left when they killed our store off.

One of two things would have happened. Either they got it as an ELB for about $4 landed and therefore didn't care about taking a punt, because they can make 400% on it, or some random marketing grad (which is what the wine team became after guys like Ian and Gary left) thought they could differentiate into the line and open up a new variety.

Based on the fact that the VC website says that Sav Blanc and Gris drinkers will LOVE Picpoul (their emphasis) I'd suggest the latter? Which is nonsense cos those are categories that probably hold your least adventurous white wine drinkers, as a rule. We used to "differentiate" them into Sancerre or Menetou-Salon and even that was a struggle sometimes, for the same fkin grape! But we made a good dent in the warehouse stocks of Henry Pelle wines at least. They aren't moving to Picpoul

Drew-Sta

Staff member
That's the way it went though, just totally random unfocused strategy. Which is why I left when they killed our store off.

One of two things would have happened. Either they got it as an ELB for about $4 landed and therefore didn't care about taking a punt, because they can make 400% on it, or some random marketing grad (which is what the wine team became after guys like Ian and Gary left) thought they could differentiate into the line and open up a new variety.

Based on the fact that the VC website says that Sav Blanc and Gris drinkers will LOVE Picpoul (their emphasis) I'd suggest the latter? Which is nonsense cos those are categories that probably hold your least adventurous white wine drinkers, as a rule. We used to "differentiate" them into Sancerre or Menetou-Salon and even that was a struggle sometimes, for the same fkin grape! But we made a good dent in the warehouse stocks of Henry Pelle wines at least. They aren't moving to Picpoul

No-one is moving to Picpoul.

But your assumption seems reasonable and given what I've seen at my end, likely to be the case.

I mean, Pernod are looking at launching four new goon bags to try and premiumise the category. I can't tell you how many times I've said that is a bad idea but still they continue to do the research...

Big businesses make stupid choices often, is about the only rule I've discovered and believe is reliable.

Bazal

Post Whore
No-one is moving to Picpoul.

But your assumption seems reasonable and given what I've seen at my end, likely to be the case.

I mean, Pernod are looking at launching four new goon bags to try and premiumise the category. I can't tell you how many times I've said that is a bad idea but still they continue to do the research...

Big businesses make stupid choices often, is about the only rule I've discovered and believe is reliable.

I will say that as a wine fan I do wish there were better cask options, cos when I go down the coast or out bush fishing I'd love to take something half decent that's not in a bottle. I actually thought Yalumba got it as close to right as anyone could with a "premium" cask, when they originally did the Winesmiths stuff.

Like, they were good wines. But even then the label basically failed cos very few people want a $17 tempranillo cask even if it is surprisingly good. Cask drinkers sure don't, and there's not enough niche weirdos like me to sustain a market surely

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I will say that as a wine fan I do wish there were better cask options, cos when I go down the coast or out bush fishing I'd love to take something half decent that's not in a bottle. I actually thought Yalumba got it as close to right as anyone could with a "premium" cask, when they originally did the Winesmiths stuff.

Like, they were good wines. But even then the label basically failed cos very few people want a $17 tempranillo cask even if it is surprisingly good. Cask drinkers sure don't, and there's not enough niche weirdos like me to sustain a market surely

Bingo.

The only way cask will ever premiumise is if a fully recyclable option is created. And if that happens, all wine bar fine wine $25> will shift to cask, because there's no good reason for anything under $25 to be in a bottle.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Our new manager is just scratching his head about what to do with it, i told him just put it at the counter and sell it as an open wine for $5 because it would be pointless sending one box back to a VC store and also i doubt if any VC store would want it anyway.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Our new manager is just scratching his head about what to do with it, i told him just put it at the counter and sell it as an open wine for $5 because it would be pointless sending one box back to a VC store and also i doubt if any VC store would want it anyway.

Sell it as a bundle buy to any white wine drinker - $5 with every other purchase. At least you’ll go close to breaking even.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Jarvis Estate classic white, a blend of semillon and sav blanc but also a splash of chardonnay, im getting the lemony lime taste which goes hand in hand with most semillon/sav blanc blends but the extra chardonnay just mellows it out nicely. Is a perfect foil for the tomato prawn pasta i made.