What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Finally moving into the house we have been building for the last 12 months and looking in the wine fridge I've narrowed it down to 2 with which to celebrate with Saturday afternoon I think. Either a 2006 St Henri Shiraz or a 2014 St Hallett Old Block Shiraz. I'm thinking the St Hallett may need more time. Anyone had either of these and can comment?

There is also a 2012 Hardys Thomas Hardy Cab Sauv that may be coming up on drinking age.

The St Henri could go awhile longer, really. But it depends on how you like your wine.

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd say the St Henri is the go, myself.

Great vintage but I'd say probably at the start of its drinking window? I tend to prefer drinking them earlier to make sure they don't go too far, given I haven't got a real cellar.

I'd agree the Old Block is probably a bit young. I had a 2014 Blackwell recently-ish that was probably right in the window for me...

Mong

Post Whore
I'd say the St Henri is the go, myself.

Great vintage but I'd say probably at the start of its drinking window? I tend to prefer drinking them earlier to make sure they don't go too far, given I haven't got a real cellar.

I'd agree the Old Block is probably a bit young. I had a 2014 Blackwell recently-ish that was probably right in the window for me...

I went with the St Henri.

I love the Blackwell Shiraz, it's possibly the Shiraz i like most. I have a few different vintages here currently. If you order directly from St Hallett be prepared to wait, they don't ever appear to be in any type of hurry to process orders there. :)

Borambola Wines "Moonlight" Cab Sauv 2019.

Picked this up from a farmer's market in Leeton today before I went to referee some RU. I reckon this is what I will do now living in the Riverina: random wines from farmer's markets.

Label specifies Gundagai as the wine region. Very dark in the glass but is quite a light Cabernet: tannins are there but are delicate, similar to Canberra or Hilltops Cabernet. Sour dark fruit, bitter chocolate, and meaty green herbs like sage. Quick finish. Not bad, but in no rush for another bottle.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Borambola Wines "Moonlight" Cab Sauv 2019.

Picked this up from a farmer's market in Leeton today before I went to referee some RU. I reckon this is what I will do now living in the Riverina: random wines from farmer's markets.

Label specifies Gundagai as the wine region. Very dark in the glass but is quite a light Cabernet: tannins are there but are delicate, similar to Canberra or Hilltops Cabernet. Sour dark fruit, bitter chocolate, and meaty green herbs like sage. Quick finish. Not bad, but in no rush for another bottle.
You have a excellent way with words.

Dark Corner

Juniors
I hear you, not quite a bottle a day but sometimes push it. Just finished the last bottle of Sqealing Pig Syrah that i picked up from my Liqourland when they cleared it out for $5.
Yeah I the type of person at night I got to train, Work or relax and have a drink as drinking Tea in the evening is just boring but going have to go to the gym in evenings but anyway here is my currant fav's.

The Magic Box Cabernet 14% South Australian Cabernet Sauvignon.
Dark Corner Shiraz 14.5% South Australian.
McPherson Full Fifteen Sparkling Red 15% South Australian.
Number Ten 10% Portuguese Red big on taste but lower on Alcohol.
Vinha Do Favo 14.5%.
The Black Stump Durif Shiraz 14.5% South Australian.
Pilastro Primitivo Puglia 13.5% Southern Italy.
The Magic Box Shiraz 14% South Australian.
Domaine Martin Cairanne 14.5% Southern Rhone.
Dog on The Tuckerbox 13.5% South Eastern Australia.
Peter Juicy Gajewski 15% South Australia.
Terra Forte Puglia 14.5% Italy.
Lirico Malbec - 13.5% Argentina.
Danie Steytler Pinotage 14% South Africa.

Bazal

Post Whore
2019 Equinoxe Crozes Hermitage. Been into hunting out good value French reds lately.

2019 was a wickedly good vintage in the Northern Rhone. Obviously Crozes Hermitage is thought of as the "lesser" partner to Hermitage, but honestly I think that's a rough wrap. This wine back me up too.

Dark, thick purple. Smells like sour black cherries, dried thyme & violets, speck, and a wet stone in the hot sun minerality that reminds me of Chateuneuf du Pape.

On the palate you get intense, fragrant dark berries. Anyone ever had a mulberry tree in the yard? Olive tapenade, the minerality from the nose, a little of the dried herbs and a hint of cracked black pepper. Tannins are clean and lean and it finishes long and persistent.

Absolute cracker. It's not a budget wine at $48 but I can think of a lot of $100 French wines it beats the pants off.

Cullen "Red Moon" 2018. A blend of Malbec (61%) and Petit Verdot (39%). Ridiculously drinkable, good quality WA dry red. Bright red stone fruit, well balanced tannins, and a mid length finish. Just wish it was cheaper...

Bazal

Post Whore
@Drew-Sta 's Monty. Which I think is the last of the mixed six pack? Have lost count.

I like it. It's just really easy, but it's also not basic or boring. Some red fruits, slightly tart rather than sweet. Starts to lean a little darker as it goes down. Cocoa powder, a clean little savoury line that feels a little herby and meaty. For almost all of these I think the tannic structure has been really good.

If I was to be critical I'd say that it's probably slightly over the odds cost wise for similar examples, but honestly I'm lucky enough that I don't care so much about 5 bucks here and there if I enjoy the wine, and it does have a character of its' own so it wouldn't stop me buying again

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So I get a delivery from Woolies online last night, being stuck at home with Covid (again) and the chardonnay was chilled, which impressed me greatly as I live a long way from a distribution centre, however, the Penfolds Max's Cab Sav which I have had prior and really like, was also chilled.

Completely undrinkable and tasted very different.

So I am just asking those with more knowledge than I, does chilling the red change any properties, or taste ? or is Covid f**king with my taste buds ?

Bazal

Post Whore
So I get a delivery from Woolies online last night, being stuck at home with Covid (again) and the chardonnay was chilled, which impressed me greatly as I live a long way from a distribution centre, however, the Penfolds Max's Cab Sav which I have had prior and really like, was also chilled.

Completely undrinkable and tasted very different.

So I am just asking those with more knowledge than I, does chilling the red change any properties, or taste ? or is Covid f**king with my taste buds ?

Short answer yes. Temperature affects any wine.

The basic reason is that obviously different compounds act differently at different temperatures. So chilling a red too far will bomb out the fruit flavours but amp up the tannin and acid. It also locks the volatile compounds responsible for aromas which also mutes the flavour.

Fridge temperature is too cold for pretty much all wines tbh. But definitely for reds. Although Australian room temperature is also way too hot for reds, generally

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
cheers Baz, it was probably just above fridge temperature, I'd say about 6 or 7 Deg C

Bazal

Post Whore
2009 Moss Wood Cabernet, because why not.

If I remember right this vintage also contains about 10% total Cab Franc and Petit Verdot, I can't remember the exact split and I CBF looking it up.

This is one of the best examples of premium Margaret River Cabernet and IMO one of the best Cabernet's in the country, and 2009 was an excellent vintage over there to boot.

I reckon this is probably right at it's best now? The nose is all darkness: black fruit, dry tobacco, hard cedar, licorice root, anise, a little cocoa.

It's as sophisticated as f**k on the palate. There's still plenty of oak, but it's not brash. Vanilla coated dark fruit turns a little purple, still juicy and it goes right into the mid palate. Then it slinks away into more of the oak character, velvet chocolate licorice, cinnamon bark. It's rich and classy, and slides down almost like sweet cassis but with well ingrained tannins. Right on the finish, as it goes down, you get the scent of fresh bay leaves mixed in with the black currant.

Just a shockingly good cabernet IMO.

Barwang Cab Sauv 2016. From the Hilltops region, very classic cool climate Cabernet. Mid-to-light tannin, mix of leafy herb and dark currants, rather quick finish. Solid table red, drink now, good bottle for after you've had a great bottle.

Jim Barry "The Nurse Series" Cab Sauv 2020. Without any evidence, I am assuming that this is a charitable version of "The Cover Drive" as $1 per sale goes to the McGrath Foundation.

Very grippy, particularly since this is Clare Valley Cabernet and not Coonawarra. Though this wine doesn't have Brett it does have a "9V battery" flavour to it which is very offputting. Graphite and liquorice make up the rest of the flavour notes with a very long finish.

Thank goodness this has a charitable portion to it, otherwise there would be no redeeming feature to it.

Latest posts