What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Ideally i'd go 6. Barett and 7. Monaghan but that will never happen.

Mullen is 5/8th not a halfback.
Carney is a 5/8th not a halfback.

Although one of them could slip into the 7 easily enough but they are both better ball runners then organisers. Lyon will get number 6 because for some reason the selectors are obsessed with the idiot. Wing is a utility and will never be seen as anything but.

I'd go with the Raider_69's idea and play Mullen and Carney, sure they have little experience but nobody else does either in SOO. Might aswell blood them now.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Actually, Carney played most of his footy at halfback. I believe he plays five eight at Canberra because the Canberra back line need flair to provide them the ball. I think at Canberra, Carney, although he is a halfback, he is also the best five eight option to. Now that Monas is back at Canberra, he will provide some experience in theback line and should slowly see Carney slide back into the halfback role and possibly see Zillman as a five eight.

As for the Blues, people bag Anasta, but out of the fuve eight options NSW had last year, Anasta had the better kicking game, and with a rookie like Mullen next to him, that solid head was needed. Players need to be tought the ropes, Jason Smith has done it with Carney, Scott Hill did it with Cronk and Johns did it with Mullen. Lack of halves experience hurt the Warriors at the end of last year, even at Parra, our own Tim Smith hasnt been guided on field by anyone. Finch has done little and Morris did less. Jason Taylor helped most and that was off field. How this relates to NSW is it is a bad idea to have 2 very inexperienced halves, I think that the best idea is to have Carney on the bench to start the match and have Mullen at half and Bird at five eight. That way, Carney can replace either and Bird can move to lock.

Craig Wing could turn heads, so could Feleti Mateo and im not saying that because he plays for Parra, im saying it because he is a very unique player, we had trouble breaking the Qld defence last year and Bird helped solve that, Mateo could and would do the same thing.

aqua_duck

Coach
Monk said:
idk wat ppl are talking about... kimmorly/bird or wing/bird should be the halves...
also they should pick el masri again after his form in SOO 3...
and lets hope they dont pick lyon...
el masri wont see out the year in first grade let alone go near rep footy

The Survivor

Juniors
If the NSW selectors have got any brains then they will steer clear of any souths players. After all, they suck.

NthKnight

Mullen has the selectors confidence and barring injury he will be there again. Carney should definantly be there as well (prob ahead of Mullo) as the Blues really need to bring in some young blood to an aging side. Kimmorley, Orford and the like will seem not to be in the selectors plans and rightly so.

As far as the front row goes, everyone seems to be forgetting about Ben Cross. He was one of the in form props in the back end of 07, had a cracking GF and if he carries the same form into 08 he will likely be the first prop picked for NSW.

Bird has done enough to be there but his position will prob be determined by where he is picked for the Sharks.

Gee_Up

Juniors
The Survivor said:
If the NSW selectors have got any brains then they will steer clear of any souths players. After all, they suck.

:lol:

Craig Wing- runner up in your best and fairest last season.. yep, over the off-season he has turned himself from a class player into a "player that sucks". :roll:

Give us a break- Craig Wing has never performed poorly at rep level, the same could never be said of Anasta.

The Survivor

Juniors
Gee_Up said:

Craig Wing- runner up in your best and fairest last season.. yep, over the off-season he has turned himself from a class player into a "player that sucks". :roll:

Give us a break- Craig Wing has never performed poorly at rep level, the same could never be said of Anasta.

Wing's best days are over, It's all downhill for him from now on.

STSAE

Juniors
The Survivor said:

Pings best days ended when Freddy retired.

But true, the slide will gather momentum now.

:lol: :lol:

Gee_Up

Juniors
The Survivor said:

FlexiCap Rorter fans have a real issue with people leaving the club.

Plenty of Freddy Krugers over that way- no wonder a white ant like Gould is your poster boy.

Raider_69

Post Whore
OVP said:
Anyway the season hasnt even started yet ... who's to say who or not will be in form ?

There was one game last year ... Canberra vs Newcastle. The halfback Dobson had a HUGE game. I thought wow, look at this guy, he could be anything. Who knows he may even make it one day ... what do u Canberra fans think of him ?

Dobbo is a mystery to us all, one day he looks like an out and out star, the next he is no where to be seen, he lacks confidence, if he makes a mistake early in the game you might aswell bring out the white sheet and shot gun, as he's done for the day... when he fires though he's a top line half back. If he finds consistant form, could easily play rep footy

he also has defensive issues he needs to fix.

Gee_Up

Juniors
I think it's fair to say Greg Bird has impressed enough at SOO to guarantee himself the 5/8 jersey but the Halfback position is OPEN.

Dutchy

Immortal
I wouldnt go past Orford.

I have never really been a big fan.

In the past he HASNT been forced to step up because he has had Scott Hill and Michael Monaghan doing his work. This season, hes got fat f**k in 5/8th and relatively new Ballin. He has to have a blinder of a season if Manly want to make the 8.

Expecting big things from him

6 - Bird
7 - (hopefully Ox)

Gee_Up

Juniors
Dutchy said:
I wouldnt go past Orford.

I have never really been a big fan.

In the past he HASNT been forced to step up because he has had Scott Hill and Michael Monaghan doing his work. This season, hes got fat f**k in 5/8th and relatively new Ballin. He has to have a blinder of a season if Manly want to make the 8.

Expecting big things from him

6 - Bird
7 - (hopefully Ox)

Only time will tell though.. injuries may play a big part in selections.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
OVP said:
Anyway the season hasnt even started yet ... who's to say who or not will be in form ?

There was one game last year ... Canberra vs Newcastle. The halfback Dobson had a HUGE game. I thought wow, look at this guy, he could be anything. Who knows he may even make it one day ... what do u Canberra fans think of him ?

I think Dobbo has the goods, he just needs to develop consistency. He has a very good kicking and passing game, is an excellent goal kicker and a big talker which I think will make him a good organiser in the years to come. His downfalls are his defence and running game but Ricky Stuart proves this is not a neccessity for a good halfabck. If he gets to a point where he's playing out of his skin every game then rep footy is on the cards but that's just not happening at the moment. He's only played 1 year of NRL so the verdict is still out.

Freddy's Girl

Juniors
Gee_Up said:

Whats with you and bagging anasta all the time? Wing is a great player, but he won't get the halfback position. If Bird is the 5/8, who will organise things ? Even with the roosters last yr, wing didn't play a halfbacks role. Anasta did majority of the work in the halves just like fittler did in 02 when we won the GF.