What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing Signs with Souths 4 Year Deal

Penance

Juniors
www.sydneyroosters.com.au

Craig Wing to leave Roosters
Monday, June 18, 2007
wingy548.jpg

Roosters hooker Craig Wing has advised club Chairman Nick Politis that he will be leaving the Roosters at the end of the season and taking up a 4 year contract with South Sydney.
Craig has been a Rooster for eight (8) years and was the halfback in the 2002 premiership victory and a key player for the club in 4 grand final appearances.
Craig confirmed whilst the Roosters offer was higher, he felt more comfortable accepting the Souths offer, as it was a guaranteed 4 year commitment against the Roosters 2 years with a 2 year option. He also indicated that it would be his last contract in Australia.
Roosters CEO Brian Canavan said the club was disappointed to lose such an outstanding player and clubman but could not commit to a guaranteed 4 year offer when there was so much uncertainty in the game today and salary cap restrictions.
"Whilst wishing Craig all the best, we understand he had to make a business decision and now the Roosters will move forward under our youth policy to further develop players like Mitchell Pearce, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Danny Williams, Mitch Aubusson, Setaimata Sa and many others for 2008 and beyond. It is always hard to lose a player who came to the club as a promising junior and has developed into an international.”

t-ba

Post Whore
Maybe Souths will play him in that position he won a premiership from?

Craig Wing is perhaps the Greatest example in the NRL era of a player being d*cked around and ruined by stupid coaching. Play him at Halfback god damnit!

girvie

Staff member
I think they will play him at halfback and if that doesn't work out they can always move him to hooker.

yobbo84

Coach
Seems like the Roosters wanted to announce it to steal the limelight from Souths' forthcoming announcement tomorrow! That's right up there with the "Asotasi didn't sign with Souths over us, we withdrew our offer" annoucement...

Raider_69

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
Seems like the Roosters wanted to announce it to steal the limelight from Souths' forthcoming announcement tomorrow! That's right up there with the "Asotasi didn't sign with Souths over us, we withdrew our offer" annoucement...

f**k me, i recon you'd have a whinge for having to drive 20 minutes to pick up a 20mil lottery cheque!

yobbo84

Coach
Penance said:
"It is always hard to lose a player who came to the club as a promising junior and has developed into an international.”

LOL @ that line. Gees they're filthy aren't they. I think it should read:

"It's hard to lose a player knowing you signed him as the number one outstanding young talent in the NRL only to see his attacking suffer by constantly shuffling him around and playing him out of position".

yobbo84

Coach
Raider_69 said:
f**k me, i recon you'd have a whinge for having to drive 20 minutes to pick up a 20mil lottery cheque!

Not really, I just hate the petty scum known as the Roosters. Their strangehold as the Number 1 club in Sydney City is gone and I for one am enjoying watching them suffer :lol:

Danish

Referee
Genuinely geniused move by the easts board.

He would have stayed for peanuts if Easts offered him 3 years and a 1 year option.

Lookout for the killer hooking combo of Ndaira and Stranger next year :sarcasm:

t-ba

Post Whore
yobbo84 said:
Not really, I just hate the petty scum known as the Roosters. Their strangehold as the Number 1 club in Sydney City is gone and I for one am enjoying watching them suffer :lol:

It's been gone for a while. The Wiggers are easily the biggest club in the CBD these days...

Tom Ace

Bench
Wing is an athlete, not a footballer. The last place you want him is in Half Back

Good luck with him in the #7. You're going to need it.

yobbo84

Coach
Danish said:
Genuinely geniused move by the easts board.

He would have stayed for peanuts if Easts offered him 3 years and a 1 year option.

Lookout for the killer hooking combo of Ndaira and Stranger next year :sarcasm:

On the other hand the prodigal son returns, Issac Luke is going from strength-to-strength, Souths have under the contract the current NSW U/19's Halfback, QLD U/19's 5/8 and the NSW U/17's Halfback. Now that's a youth policy I like to see.

Ice777

Bench
Putting all the petty rivalry aside i think one of the best things to come out of this is that he's staying in Australia instead of heading overseas where i'm sure he would've been offered a fortune. Not to mention yawnion where there was interest for him also.