What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing Signs with Souths 4 Year Deal

rabs

Staff member
on the news tonight Wing spoke and it looked like a given he has signed

Sugar

Bench
rabs said:
on the news tonight Wing spoke and it looked like a given he has signed
He said he has not signed but he will on wed/thur,a few small details to sort out.

Sugar

Bench
Sydney Roosters hooker Craig Wing is adamant he hasn't signed a contract with South Sydney despite reports to the contrary on the Roosters website.

The Bondi Junction-based club posted a notice yesterday claiming Wing had told the Roosters he would be rejecting their two-year offer in favour of a four-year deal with the Rabbitohs.

But the Bunnies, with whom Wing burst onto the scene in 1998 before he was forced to find another club when Souths were expelled from the competition, denied an agreement had been reached.

Wing also rejected claims he had signed on the dotted line.

"I've got offers on the table but I will be making a definite decision over the next couple of days and I will be signing somewhere by Wednesday, Thursday," Wing told Fox Sports News.

"(Souths) are very attractive. There's a few technical things that I've just got to get clarified first and then I will put pen to paper, which I'm really looking forward to doing.

"It's been a weight on my shoulders all year so I'm really looking forward to relieving that."

Roosters coach Chris Anderson, who reportedly made a last ditch bid to keep Wing, said the biggest loser would be the club's fans.

He also claimed the NRL risked losing their best talent if they didn't do something to stop mid-season player movement.

The Roosters have given immediate releases to four players already this season, including utility Chris Flannery who last week joined English Super League club St Helens.

"With the trend the way it is going now and all these senior blokes going to England, what if all of a sudden they came in with an outrageous offer for Darren Lockyer ... or Johnathan Thurston - we could end up losing a couple of the superstars of our competition," Anderson said.

"They are the players people come to see.

"That's the danger we are creating at the moment. They are making it easy for these players to go to England, I think we should be restricting those options for them."

Anderson called for clubs to be rewarded with salary cap concessions for developing players, but the NRL has refused to give much ground over the years in relation to the cap.

The league is adamant that the salary cap ensures an even spread of talent, this year's ladder a prime example with last-placed St George Illawarra only four points outside the top eight.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/contract-what-contract/2007/06/19/1182019109175.html

yobbo84

Coach
Officially official... http://www.souths.com.au/fanzone/viewnewsarticle.asp?ArticleID=1939

Rabbitohs Sign Craig Wing for Four Years

One of the leading players in the NRL Craig Wing will return to the Rabbitohs in 2008 on a four season deal.

Wing, 27, came up through the junior representative grades with the Rabbitohs and burst on to the NRL scene in 1998 and 1999 with South Sydney, playing 41 first grade games for the Rabbitohs prior to the Club being omitted from the NRL competition in 2000 and 2001.The NSW and Australian representative has played 217 NRL games in a glittering career which has featured four grand finals including a premiership win in 2002.

A Coogee Randwick junior from the South Sydney Juniors stable, Wing has represented Australia in 16 Tests from 2002 to 2005 including a Kangaroo Tour in 2003 and Tri-nations tournaments in 2004 and 2005. He has also represented NSW on 10 occasions from 2003 to 2006, and City Origin in five matches in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006 and 2007. Craig was the 933rd first grade player for the Rabbitohs.

“To be able to bring home one of the best players the South Sydney Juniors have ever produced is a testament to where our Club is placed at the moment,” Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson said.

“Craig is one of the most talented players in the game today and can play in a number of the key positions on the field, be it five-eighth, halfback or hooker. He’s even represented in the centres, so he is the ultimate utility player with the experience that we need to guide our side around the field each week.

“It is also a tribute to Craig that he has asked to return to the Rabbitohs after many years of success with his current Club, and we look forward to welcoming him back in to a red and green jersey for the 2008 season.

“The Roosters rushed out an announcement earlier this week that had a number of mistakes in it and claimed that Craig was a promising junior when he joined them. In reality he was already a seasoned first grader with the Rabbitohs when he was forced to leave.”

Wing said he was looking forward to returning to the Rabbitohs.

“I’m very excited about it, actually I’m trying not to get too excited about it,” he said.

“When I was a child the Rabbitohs were always the team I wanted to play for and it is great to be going back. I’ve been to a lot of places all over NSW and Australia doing promotional work and everywhere I go people are always asking me ‘when are you going back to the Rabbitohs?’ so it’s great to be finally able to answer that question. Returning to Souths has always been an option and I can’t wait to start but I have my commitments to the Roosters and my team mates this season first.”

South Sydney Juniors President Keith McCraw said he was elated that Wing had chosen to return to the Rabbitohs.

“I had the pleasure of flying to Auckland to see Craig Wing make his first grade debut in 1998 for the South Sydney Rabbitohs,” Keith McCraw said.

“After two fantastic seasons with the Rabbitohs Craig was one of the few players who remained loyal to the Club until the court decision was handed down. On behalf of the South Sydney Juniors I am delighted to welcome Craig back to the club with open arms.”

Craig Wing’s Bio

Junior Club: Coogee Randwick (South Sydney Juniors)
Position: Utility
Height: 180cm
Weight: 88kg
NRL debut: Rabbitohs v Warriors Rd 1, 13 March, 1998, Ericsson Stadium, Auckland
NRL Games for the Rabbitohs: 41
NRL Games: 217
Rep Honours:
16 Tests for Australia 2002-05
10 State of Origins for NSW 2003-06
5 City Origin appearances 2001-03; 2006-07

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From LeagueHQ:

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/rabbitohs-confirm-wing-signing/20074920-jg5.html

Rabbitohs confirm Wing signing
June 20, 2007 - 2:43PM

South Sydney have confirmed utility Craig Wing will make his return to the NRL club from the Sydney Roosters in 2008 on a four-season deal.

The 27-year-old came up through the juniors with the Rabbitohs and burst onto the NRL scene in 1998 and 1999 with the club, playing 41 first-grade games before the Rabbitohs were omitted from the NRL.

The NSW and Australian representative has gone on to play 217 NRL games in a glittering career which has featured four grand finals with the Roosters, including a premiership win in 2002.

Wing said he was looking forward to returning to his roots.

"I'm very excited about it, actually I'm trying not to get too excited about it," Wing said.

"When I was a child the Rabbitohs were always the team I wanted to play for and it is great to be going back.

"I've been to a lot of places all over NSW and Australia doing promotional work and everywhere I go people are always asking me when are you going back to the Rabbitohs?

"So it's great to be finally able to answer that question.

"Returning to Souths has always been an option and I can't wait to start but I have my commitments to the Roosters and my team mates this season first."

The Roosters rushed out a premature announcement about Wing's departure on Monday night, which was not well received by the Rabbitohs.

© 2007 AAP

m0j0

Bench
I hope he takes his uniform with him...

1091_9281.jpg

Concierge

Juniors
Penance said:
Just asked a Source, Wing is on 230k a year.

Also, Asotasi isnt on 500k :S he is on 440k

I dont know about Wing but I know for a fact Roy is on just over 500K.

m0j0

Bench
Spiltmilk said:
Shoe's on the other foot now,We used to hang sh*t on the roosters with that pic.

I know. I figure it was what attracted Russ to him in the first place. I'd imagine his recruitment would go something like this...

Russ eyes off a potential recruit:
thesumofus17.jpg

Contract negotiations take place:
thesumofus20.jpg

thesumofus21.jpg

And finally, the deal is sealed:
thesumofus25.jpg

m0j0

Bench
t-ba said:
POST...OF...THE YEAR!

Why do you have a storyboard from the Sum of us?

Mate, I went searching for these screen shots months ago. I've been holding on to the link for ages, waiting for the right opportunity.

Tom Ace

Bench
m0j0 said:
I know. I figure it was what attracted Russ to him in the first place. I'd imagine his recruitment would go something like this...

Russ eyes off a potential recruit:
thesumofus17.jpg

Contract negotiations take place:
thesumofus20.jpg

thesumofus21.jpg

And finally, the deal is sealed:
thesumofus25.jpg

HAHAHAHA!