What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

With The Benefit Of Hindsight....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can Nathan Hindmarsh be considered the best ever Eel, even though he never won a Premiership?

I just watched the replay of our 2011 Golden Point loss to the Dogs, and Hindy's superhuman efforts kept us in the game, singlehandedly.

Thoughts?

hindy111

Post Whore
Can Nathan Hindmarsh be considered the best ever Eel, even though he never won a Premiership?

I just watched the replay of our 2011 Golden Point loss to the Dogs, and Hindy's superhuman efforts kept us in the game, singlehandedly.

Thoughts?

Amazing till age 24. He was never the same after that. Less dynamic but still great.
I onyl started following footy in 91. I remember Panthers winning the grand final.
Best I have seen in blue and gold? Bit controversial but I would go Jason Smith. Hayne was superior but J.Smith impact on a game and the team I felt was better

Bazal

Post Whore

Thoughts?

Caylo >>> Hindy. Both would be in our best ever 17 though

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon Hindmarsh is the best of our non-premiership winners. I believe if he wasn’t injured 2005, we win plain and simple

Eelementary

Post Whore
Amazing till age 24. He was never the same after that. Less dynamic but still great.
I onyl started following footy in 91. I remember Panthers winning the grand final.
Best I have seen in blue and gold? Bit controversial but I would go Jason Smith. Hayne was superior but J.Smith impact on a game and the team I felt was better

Interesting on Hayne - his boneheaded kick on the last play in the second half of Golden Point effectively lost us that match against the Dogs.

Jarryd Hayne was a mercurial talent, but his footy brain wasn't too good, imo.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Nathan Hindmarsh, in my eyes, is our greatest ever.

He just would not stop - he would make 70+ tackles match, play for 90 minutes, and would keep going forever. He would chase down wingers. He would hold an opposition player up over the line.

If Hindy had the luxury of having more players like him around him, he would have won a title.

84 Baby

Referee
Just throw a normal pass Smithy!

Bazal

Post Whore
Nathan Hindmarsh, in my eyes, is our greatest ever.

He just would not stop - he would make 70+ tackles match, play for 90 minutes, and would keep going forever. He would chase down wingers. He would hold an opposition player up over the line.

If Hindy had the luxury of having more players like him around him, he would have won a title.

He was a machine...in defence.

If you're going to analyse his career in hindsight and be brutally honest...after his injuries earlier in the 2000s he was pretty ineffective in attack. A toiler on both sides of the footy. He also seemed unable to step up and lead the team the way a star senior player should.

He never lost us a game but I doubt he won us many either. He was usually a big contributor to a win, but a guy like Hayne could pull a win out of a loss. Could Hindy do that?

And like I said that's just being brutally honest, the bloke is still a great Eel. But greatest ever over Sterlo or Kenny for eg?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He was a machine...in defence.

If you're going to analyse his career in hindsight and be brutally honest...after his injuries earlier in the 2000s he was pretty ineffective in attack. A toiler on both sides of the footy. He also seemed unable to step up and lead the team the way a star senior player should.

He never lost us a game but I doubt he won us many either. He was usually a big contributor to a win, but a guy like Hayne could pull a win out of a loss. Could Hindy do that?

And like I said that's just being brutally honest, the bloke is still a great Eel. But greatest ever over Sterlo or Kenny for eg?
He was never the same player after his knee ran into that Gumby Brett Seymour in 2005. He was probably the best forward in the world at the time. I’d say he won us a fair few games before then. After that he become the best defender in the game and just a toiler in attack.

Best Eel ever??? No but he’s in the top 3 or 4 I have seen. Sterlo,Kenny and Price are the others. Hayne rounds out the top 5 and should of probably been number 1 if he didn’t follow his dreams.

Bazal

Post Whore
He was never the same player after his knee ran into that Gumby Brett Seymour in 2005. He was probably the best forward in the world at the time. I’d say he won us a fair few games before then. After that he become the best defender in the game and just a toiler in attack.

Best Eel ever??? No but he’s in the top 3 or 4 I have seen. Sterlo,Kenny and Price are the others. Hayne rounds out the top 5 and should of probably been number 1 if he didn’t follow his dreams.

Given my age I saw but don't really remember Pricey, I'd have Caylo in his place, Hindy one spot lower. But yeah otherwise, somewhere in the 3-6 range for great Eels behind Sterlo and Kenny (who I did get to see at the end of their careers an remember something about) at the very least