What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

kbw

Bench
Look at the livid words of the sharks ceo. Does anyone reckon the roosters ceo for example would have had such a passionate response?

You would be surprised, one of my mates is the coach of the Roosters Tarsha Gale and while the club is very new to women's RL they are supporting it in a big way. Gatting the TG game before first grade on the weekend was a great thing and very important to the women's game.

I do feel for Cronulla though and I think they could have been included in a 6 team competition that would have been very viable

Eion

First Grade
You would be surprised, one of my mates is the coach of the Roosters Tarsha Gale and while the club is very new to women's RL they are supporting it in a big way. Gatting the TG game before first grade on the weekend was a great thing and very important to the women's game.

I do feel for Cronulla though and I think they could have been included in a 6 team competition that would have been very viable
Mate, good luck to the roosters but the sharks should have been the first chosen. There has been real traction here about the women’s game...building over the last few years. I took my girls to the footy last year because of a curtain raiser involving the women in the NRL Sharks v Manly game. By the way, the women’s game was by far the better spectacle.

Allana Ferguson for example (though just retired with a knee injury) is as well known as some of the sharks main squad around here and I just don’t think the nrl have the first clue about how much momentum it has built in the shire from the first contracted player signed in Ruan, assembling a great squad and hosting the World Cup. And now it’s just pfffffftt f**k off we know best. Well they don’t. Run by absolute muppets.

VFL starts a women's comp, 18 months later the NRL starts a smaller women's comp.

Pretty much sums it up.

VFL expands its national comp. NRL waits years and then maybe talks about possibly expanding second tier comps.

So what they're saying is we'll catch up by going slower.

gOyH4eGCncVfbEJBbgaGEHM554qRRiJM-jGP_z1o4Rl1n3KP3pv9t8tUeZJDO07x4uNuBTE9dMdbb6xk-cRx_g=w300-h228-nc

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even sht house union managed to Launch a national women’s Comp with more teams than that!

Wtf nrl???

Out of the last World Cup squad for Australia, women from NSW represented these clubs:
3 x Cronulla
3 x Redfern
3 x Nth Newcastle
2 x Helensburgh
1 each from Mounties and Greenacre respectively.

No sign of a Chicken anywhere, unless they got confused and thought Easts in Brisbane were the Sydney one.... it is the NRL after all.
The Canavan/Politis alliance seems to be as strong as ever.

Card Shark

Immortal

They had 6 clubs wanting to join, so why the f**k didn’t they give them all a crack, to make a 6 team comp like they originally wanted.

It’s not as though they had 8 teams apply.

Geez, they could’ve even have had 5 teams & a bye, the season would be just as long as a 6 team comp.

Why do the Roosters get in over us & Souths?

cleary89

Coach
I can understand the Broncos and Warriors as it expands the competition as much as possible with 4 teams but why did the Dragons and Roosters get priority over the Sharks lol? They’ve done the most to promote Women’s rugby league out of any other club I’ve seen. Some straight bias right there.

Illawarra has had a womens competition for many years. I think the shire comp had 2 u18s womens team for the first time ever last year.

I remember illawarra women playing before a mens game almost a decade ago.

I agree sharks have done stuff with hosting the womens wc, contracting the first womens player (dragons have a few too) but I'd say saints have done just as much for womens footy in the area. The girls league tag aligned with JRLC is awesome as I've said many times before.

I don't know what roosters have done, but you could hardly have saints and sharks and no one else in sydney.

roboshark

Coach
Saints should be in the comp I believe them and Cronulla have done the most maybe with Newcastle and Souths what is wrong with having a 6 team comp and having them all in there it is because the NRL are dodgy I then fifa

Roosters- please! Brown paper bag time

cleary89

Coach
Do souths have a womens comp? I watched RAB win the womens koori cup. Some decent players there. Are they affiliated with souths?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Illawarra has had a womens competition for many years. I think the shire comp had 2 u18s womens team for the first time ever last year.

I agree sharks have done stuff with hosting the womens wc, contracting the first womens player (dragons have a few too) but I'd say saints have done just as much for womens footy in the area. The girls league tag aligned with JRLC is awesome as I've said many times before.

I don't know what roosters have done, but you could hardly have saints and sharks and no one else in sydney.

Didn’t know that about the dragons. Good to know they deserve the spot though. I also thought the jillaroos captain plays for the sharks? To me it just makes no sense how they’re not in there. It’s a massive f**k up on the NRL’s behalf.

Band On The Run

Juniors
All six teams should have been granted a licence, but if it was to be only four teams, Sharks and Dragons should have been the first two in. Even as a Broncos supporter I acknowledge the Sharks deserve the licence more than us

Band On The Run

Juniors
I also wouldn't put it past the NRL to put teams that didn't bid the first time around to get in before Cronulla do either, NRL have f**ked up massively in this

Shorty

Staff member
Gosh I thought it was 14 when I heard it on the radio.
4 teams....the f**k...

Dragons have done heaps, they are worthy of being in it. I dont see anyone disputing that.
No one knows what the Roosters have done, thats the problem. Everyone knows what the Sharks have been doing for years.
The NRL are fools, everyone knows this too.
There is a petition running hot for the Sharks to be included. I doubt the Idiots will go back on their word, but at least it proves they have lost a lot of people who support what was happening.

https://www.change.org/p/cronulla-s...ial.nafta_milestone_share_ask_victory.control

jack coburn

Juniors
Why would the nrl put 1 team from bris 1 from nz and 2 from south of Sydney. Just as stupid as only putting 4 teams.
I can only assume saints will cover the south of Sydney and Illawarra and the Sydney roosters the rest.
For me should have been 6 sides. North(manly, Newcastle)
South(Souths,saints,sharks) east (roosters, tigers)and west (Penrith,parra)plus bris and nz.

kbw

Bench
I think it comes down to money. The NRL were going to have to fork out some and I think they don't have as much in the bank as they like everyone to believe.
I have no idea what Cronulla's finances are like but I do suspect South could not afford it unless the Juniors funded it and they are getting a massive hit to their income with the light rail construction.

Even though I am not a sharks supporter I have had a bit to do with Women's RL and I feel insulted by this decision to leave Cronulla out and to only have a 4 team comp.

Let me say this about Brian Canavan. I know Brian and count him a friend. He is a terrific man even for a QLDer :) . He really does love the game and want the best for it, I suspect he would not be happy with this decision

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Nice gesture, but nobody cares about women's comp. Quality is low and the competition is clearly only for political purposes, but I think it's a decent move by the NRL.

Latest posts