What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge - NOT live on Nine

Hutty1986

Immortal
I bet it hasn't.

Everyone who watched that game will remember it. THAT try will be on highlight reels for years to come.

But two regular season games and that dull, grindy grand final will be forgotten by October, when we get yet another Premier - there's one every year. It's hardly a big deal.

But an embarassment like that semi-final at Kogarah is lucky to come along once a decade.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

:lol::lol: Embarrassment?? One soft try by your inconsistent, overrated fullback??

When we flogged the sh*t out of your joke of a team last year, the semi had been well and truly forgotten. All we remember is winning the grand final on that amazing night last October.
Do you remember what that's like or were you not old enough muppet?

:lol: Enjoy another sh*t season supporting your pathetic club

user_nat

Coach
The thread about this same issue managed a whole 9 posts last year.

9 showed it at 1am on Tuesday morning last year, so there is hope for those without fox.

Turns out it wasn't live in 09 either, so basically the complaints are about something that has been happening for years.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I bet it hasn't.

Everyone who watched that game will remember it. THAT try will be on highlight reels for years to come.

But two regular season games and that dull, grindy grand final will be forgotten by October, when we get yet another Premier - there's one every year. It's hardly a big deal.

But an embarassment like that semi-final at Kogarah is lucky to come along once a decade.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"
You're right, a Grand Final and the winner will be forgotten over a try in a qualifying final for a team that came runners-up in the big show. It was boring watching the games against Parramatta last year, simply because they were too inept to put up a fight.

Does it still hurt that we went all the way in 2010 when you couldn't even make the finals? Does that try in 09 wipe away all that pain? Does losing in 09 still hurt?

But at least you have that 10 second highlight to look back on, I wish we had that instead o the trophy sitting in our cabinet.

The thread about this same issue managed a whole 9 posts last year.

9 showed it at 1am on Tuesday morning last year, so there is hope for those without fox.

Turns out it wasn't live in 09 either, so basically the complaints are about something that has been happening for years.

Probably a greater indication of Melbourne Storms supporter base than anything else.

I'm struggling to see what your point is here.

Channel Nein have always treated our game and it's fans poorly so we should be used to it and be quiet? :?

user_nat

Coach
I'm struggling to see what your point is here.

Point was that this isn't exactly a new thing. Clearly 9 don't want to interrupt the ever important Today show. Luckily they give permission to Fox to air it live. If they were really such huge jerks, they wouldn't even do that. I suspect if they were allowed to air it on GO/GEM they probably would.

And there were people in this thread who seem to remember watching it Live on 9 last year, when they clearly did not.

Quidgybo

Bench
Historically, the WCC was played after the GF, but Aussie clubs were too hammered after wining the comp to be competetive.
Even that doesn't quiet paint a full picture. Times were totally different back then. Those were semi pro players who didn't train nearly as much and generally didn't approach the game nearly as professionally as the modern player. There was no international post season to keep the top players focussed and no massive professional contracts that had to be lived up to.

The game itself wasn't a fixture of the Rugby League calendar, being played only in some years, and being thrown together at the last minute. In the worst case, 1991, the game was played just seven days after the Australian grand final.

And in the days before the northern hemisphere switched to summer the two teams were coming into the contest under completely different circumstances - one at the end of a campaign and the other mid season.

All these things led to the game never getting the chance to shine in what is its natural place on the Rugby League calendar.

I think if we returned to an annually scheduled match played two weeks after the Grand Finals and alternating hemispheres each year as the first game of the larger international post season then the situation today would be vastly different.

Historically also, C9 used to show the WCC and the Challenge Cup Final live. In fact, I think I watched the entire 1990 Kangaroo tour live on C9.
That was Ten. Nein didn't gain the rights until 1992. When they covered the Kangaroo tour of 1994 they didn't show nearly as many games as Ten had during the previous tour.

Leigh.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Point was that this isn't exactly a new thing. Clearly 9 don't want to interrupt the ever important Today show. Luckily they give permission to Fox to air it live. If they were really such huge jerks, they wouldn't even do that. I suspect if they were allowed to air it on GO/GEM they probably would.
Nothing stopping them. The WCC, as a non premiership and non rep match, isn't restricted by even the current anti-siphoning laws. Of course it doesn't matter whether it's a new thing or not. We're not running a charity for the benefit of Nein. This is an event that if properly scheduled, properly promoted, and properly covered, could one day become our Super Bowl. If Nein are getting in the way of the game's wider goals and in the way of this game in particular reaching its potential then we have every right to demand better. Regardless of whether it's a new thing or not.

Leigh.

thommo4pm

Coach
I bet it hasn't.

"Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!"

:lol: :lol:
Ok mate.....you are right it hasn't been forgotten about.
Funny though that it only seems to be Parra fans that bring it up.
You can have your week 1 finals win from 2009.
I'll have the 2010 Premiership thanks, and the 18-12 & 30-0 wins were very satisfying for me, as I'm sure they were for all Dragons fans.
I understand why you say it's not a big deal to win a premiership, as it's been 25 years this year since Parra have won one.

adamkungl

Immortal
Nothing stopping them. The WCC, as a non premiership and non rep match, isn't restricted by even the current anti-siphoning laws. Of course it doesn't matter whether it's a new thing or not. We're not running a charity for the benefit of Nein. This is an event that if properly scheduled, properly promoted, and properly covered, could one day become our Super Bowl. If Nein are getting in the way of the game's wider goals and in the way of this game in particular reaching its potential then we have every right to demand better. Regardless of whether it's a new thing or not.

Leigh.

yep...imagine if St George v Wigan was played here 1 week before the 4N started. It would be massive.

Garts

Bench

Leigh.

Its up to the NRL to structure the TV contract better. Hopefully that happens with the next deal. Whilst what Nine do can be frustrating they are only doing what is in their best interests. The NRL needs to do the same.

Quidgybo

Bench
yep...imagine if St George v Wigan was played here 1 week before the 4N started. It would be massive.
I think if the game was brought to Australia/New Zealand every second year as part of the larger Four Nations program, then initially it could be marketed very successfully as a homecoming match for the premiership winner. Less so for Sydney teams obviously, but imagine the crowd a WCC game could pull if played in Newcastle, Auckland, Brisbane, Townsville etc two weeks after a Grand Final win by the local team.

Use the same venue allocation rules as for week two finals matches (ie. home city) and put tickets on sale at 9am the morning after the Grand Final. Outside of Sydney it's almost a guaranteed sell out in the aftermath of a premiership as the returning heroes bring the trophy back to their home turf with a shot at claiming the world title before their own fans.

With the tyranny of distance in Oz making it so much harder for fans outside Sydney to get to their Grand Final live than it is for their English counterparts to get to their Grand Final, a WCC at a non Sydney venue in the afterglow of a premiership win is probably easier to market and easier to sell out than it ever will be in England. As with so many promising concepts in Rugby League, it just needs to be given a go.

Leigh.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
With the tyranny of distance in Oz making it so much harder for fans outside Sydney to get to their Grand Final live than it is for their English counterparts to get to their Grand Final, a WCC at a non Sydney venue in the afterglow of a premiership win is probably easier to market and easier to sell out than it ever will be in England. As with so many promising concepts in Rugby League, it just needs to be given a go.

Leigh.

Excellent idea. But as with so many promising concepts in Rugby League, you can safely assume those at the top haven't thought of it or aren't listening.

Quidgybo

Bench
Its up to the NRL to structure the TV contract better. Hopefully that happens with the next deal. Whilst what Nine do can be frustrating they are only doing what is in their best interests. The NRL needs to do the same.
No argument there. But to suggest we shouldn't get too bothered demanding better simply because it's the way it has been in the past is just a sure fire way to ensure the situation never changes. This particular game has so much potential, it just amazes me that we've settled for tucking it away as a pre-season after thought. If scheduled and marketed properly then one day, many years from now, this game could very well develop into our Super Bowl. But while we settle for the condolence that it's being treated no worse than it has been in the past, it'll never amount to anything more than it is now.

Leigh.