What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge

redwhitedragon

Juniors
The 2011 World Club Challenage will be contested between NRL Champions St George Illawarra and Super League Champions, Wigan Warriors. How good will this be? Anyone thinking of going over?

Southernsaint

Staff member
I live in Ireland so I will definitely be going over. If we play a warm-up down in London like a few of the other teams have done, I'll make a week of it and head over for that too.

If someone can't make it over but they want their sign to make an appearance, courier it over & I'll make sure it's displayed with pride!!

dragon_around

Juniors
wiganwarriorslogo.png
vs
128nrldragons.jpg

How they advanced through:

Wigan Warriors 22-10 St Helens Saints

St George Illawarra Dragons 32-8 Sydney Roosters

TEAM LINEUPS:

Wigan: TBA

St George Illawarra: TBA

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It's a shame we're not playing St Helens.

Getting a 'Saints' chant going would be no sweat.

j0nesy

Bench
I wonder how serious the boys will be taking it though. I've heard some interesting stories about these WCC "tours". sh*t I'd love to go though, I really would...

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
I really hope the boys dont treat it as a trial and give it a good crack. It would be the icing on the cake to be crowned world champions even if it doesn't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Winmar

Juniors
It's just a shame we're not playing St Helens. :( Oh well, it will be nice to smash Wigan.

I don't believe a Wayne Bennett coached side has ever really let down the challenge. The last two they went for, St Helens were simply a better side. This will be a cracker though, Wigan aren't easybeats.

Slackboy72

Coach
I recall some 18 months ago when we signed Nathan Fien I said something to the effect of "prepare for world domination". I love it when I'm so right so much of the time.

Benny

First Grade
I'm in - I've always said if we finally win it I will go and I'm going (who knows when I will get another chance).

Willow

Assistant Moderator
FTR, while we'll be in this for the ride, the Poms take this match pretty seriously.

NEWS (3rd Oct)

Their [Wigan] triumphant players were grabbing a couple of hours' sleep before resuming their celebrations on a soggy open-top bus tour of the town, but many supporters watched Sky's live coverage of St George Illawarra Dragons beating Sydney Roosters in Australia's National Rugby League Grand Final to set up a mouthwatering World Club Challenge for next February.

The former Wigan chairman Maurice Lindsay pioneered the idea of an international club competition, inviting Manly to Central Park in 1987 for a match and an occasion that none who witnessed it will ever forget

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/oct/03/wigan-st-helens-super-league-grand-final

So February seems likely. Another media outlet said end of March but that can't be right.

_Johnsy

Referee
Just had a quick squizz on V-Australia
Guessing dates -Leave 25th Feb, return 28th

Return airfare Brisbane to London
$2202

Sydney to London
$1846
Or return on March 1 $1671

Flightcentre.com.au
Sydney - London
Leave 25th Feb - Return 1st March
Minimum $1800

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
OK, 27 Feb is a Sunday so that sounds right.

Cheap flights watch is officially underway.

Latest posts