What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup expands to 14 teams

bowes

Juniors
They seem to have managed to reduce the 18 teams that were intending to be in the Shield, Bowl and Euro-Med Challenge down to just 6 teams. Shield: Serbia, Germany, Czech Republic Bowl: Norway, Belgium, Malta

All others banned and looking at setting up their own tournaments, with talk of a breakaway (given that the RLEF can no longer run things).

Tournaments discussed include one for Ukraine, Latvia and Estonia; one for Denmark, Sweden and Catalonia and one for Italy, Greece, Portugal and Kazakhstan. Russia plan on recreating the Victory Cup with Estonia as definites and Italy and USA rumoured. It's unclear if the Netherlands are playing in a tournament, they had been intended for the Euro-Med.

I would hope they'll sort it out and include these tournaments in the proper structure somehow because it's a joke to try to force that many countries out of our sport and direct them straight to RU. Not sure what they're all banned for, late entries in some cases I think.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
what the hell, just seemed up to last year that they finally had the basis of a workable formula in Europe.

bowes

Juniors
There might be a Euro-Med Challenge of Estonia, Latvia and Ukraine and a European Plate of Sweden, Denmark and Catalonia but these are neither confirmed nor certain to be part of the RLEF. A tournament of Italy, Greece, Portugal and Kazakhstan may happen but probably won't be part of the RLEF. Russia plan on running the Victory Cup with Estonia among the expected participants. Don't know if Netherlands have any plans, they were intended for the Euro-Med when they all had 6 teams in.

Even if that Euro-Med and Plate do occur it would raise several questions:

1: Why not have the other 6 sides involved
2: Why the tournament involving Estonia, Latvia and Ukraine isn't the Bowl again
3: Why the Euro-Med Challenge would have no teams from the Mediterranean
4: Why Catalonia would be in a lower comp than Norway and Belgium
5: Why not have the 3 Scandinavian teams together?

Uncertain how many are banned and how many the RLEF just couldn't bother including them in a tournament but it's ridiculous and arbitrary and if not sorted will presumably see lots of countries pack in and play RU only. When Druzik comes on presumably he'll update

Evil Homer

Staff member
Where've you got that info from bowes? Not that I'm doubting you, but they surely have something sorted and aren't going to be as stupid as that?

bowes

Juniors
Druzik's blog on RLIS, plus the fixtures section, so unfortunately it's correct as things stand, although they've changed it twice already so may be changed again.

But yes as things stand they have done something that stupid. Italy are definitely excluded possibly just for a late entry (which given they expected to be in the European Cup why would they submit an entry to the European Shield?), although I wonder if it has anything to do with Serbia's complaint. This woulde I imagine mean that while the RLEF have banned Italy, the RLIF plan on inviting them to be one of the 4 sides in the European part of the world cup qualifying, one of the other sides of which being a non-entry to the Shield (or late entry?)

I would assume at least the 12 would be in, perhaps rearranged groups, but as things stand they only have tournaments for 6 teams (below European Cup level)

Evil Homer

Staff member
Oh right, I had already seen Druzik's blog. It looks bad but I'll maintain hope that the federation are just taking their time and being a bit sloppy rather than excluding nations left right and centre. It just seems like typical RL adminstration, which usually ends up with things being sorted in the end.

Last edited:

druzik

Juniors
Look basically we are all hoping that things sort themselves out in Europe.

With my blog I am trying to get the info out, the info that I get from various sources. But even there it seems to change every few days. Hence it goes on a blog... if I am wrong then you can go and say so easily... I am always happy to admit when I am wrong.

At the moment aside from any official release all I have heard is whats on the blog.
Shield - Serbia, Germany, Czechs
Bowl - Norway, Malta, Belgium

I think its gettig to a point where the tournies are not an indication of strength any more but just tounies to have so that teams play something.

Italy seems to be going with the tour to the USA and vice versa. David Niu yesterday confirmed as much for me on twitter.

The Russians want to get the Victory Cup running again most probably in a 7s or 9s format. this way it can be held over 2 days and teams can come over more cheaply and also on short notice.

bowes

Juniors
Yeah I think if tournaments are just so teams can play they should try to make it geographic, at least below the Shield, certainly a Scandinavian tournament would make sense, though maybe for whatever reason a tournament of Norway, Belgium and Malta made sense to organise

CQ Italia

Juniors
Oh right, I had already seen Druzik's blog. It looks bad but I'll maintain hope that the federation are just taking their time and being a bit sloppy rather than excluding nations left right and centre. It just seems like typical RL adminstration, which usually ends up with things being sorted in the end.
They were dropped out of the Cup - which has had a roll on effect. E.g. Sponsor for the Euro Cup hence can't afford to enter the Shield. There is other unreleased info to come...