What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Defender

Johns Magic

Referee
You'd be surprised to know that in 2004, Matt Gidley had the 6th highest tackle efficiency of all centres, and the list has a few wildcards.

The top 6 is:

1. Matt Cooper( 18.7 tackles per game for 1.3 mistackles)
2. Paul Bowman( 18.3 tackles per game for 1.3 mistackles)
3. Mark Gasnier(12.5 tackles per game for 0.9 mistackles)
4. Adam Mogg(20.4 tackles per game for 2.1 mistackles)
4. Jason Bulgarelli(20.4 tackles per game for 2.1 mistackles)
6. Matt Gidley(15.2 tackles per game for 1.6 mistackles)

Some of the worst offenders included Willie Tonga(9.3 tackles per game for 2.0 mistackles) and Luke Lewis(14.0 tackles per game for 3.3 mistackles).

Foz

Bench
I dont think they get statted (is that a word :lol: ) when they miss because of bad positioning.
Mr Walker may even have a good mistackle stat.

Johns Magic

Referee
Well those players all had a high amount of tackles compared to others, so they can't have been avoiding tackles.

Some like Tonga and Cross(7.7 for 1.4 mistackles) seemed to be making alot less tackles.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
You'd be surprised to know that in 2004, Matt Gidley had the 6th highest tackle efficiency of all centres, and the list has a few wildcards.

The top 6 is:

1. Matt Cooper( 18.7 tackles per game for 1.3 mistackles)
2. Paul Bowman( 18.3 tackles per game for 1.3 mistackles)
3. Mark Gasnier(12.5 tackles per game for 0.9 mistackles)
4. Adam Mogg(20.4 tackles per game for 2.1 mistackles)
4. Jason Bulgarelli(20.4 tackles per game for 2.1 mistackles)
6. Matt Gidley(15.2 tackles per game for 1.6 mistackles)

Some of the worst offenders included Willie Tonga(9.3 tackles per game for 2.0 mistackles) and Luke Lewis(14.0 tackles per game for 3.3 mistackles).

I knew it, Boogs is a good player!!! :eek:

Foz

Bench
They get targetted more maybe?
Who knows?
Have you got Walker's stats compared to the wingers?

Thanks beat me too it.

Balmain_Boy

Foz said:
I dont think they get statted (is that a word :lol: ) when they miss because of bad positioning.
Mr Walker may even have a good mistackle stat.

They do, I can tell you with 100% certainty.

simon says

First Grade
The worst tackling centre combo I have ever seen was the Buddha/Murphy combo.We would be matching teams up the middle,soon as it went wide it was an easy try.
Both terrible defenders in their own right,together they were diabolical.

Cheers.

Foz

Bench
Thanks Balmain Boy.
Who makes the decision on who's tackle it was suppose to be etc.
The club or do both players cop it.

eg.who gets the blame for missing a tackle when a guy slides between Hodges and Walker?

Johns Magic

Referee
Charlie Saab said:
Johns Magic

sometimes stats dont tell the FULL story.

I know that, but they are still a very good indicator of one's tackle efficiency.

By the way, of the wingers, Tahu had the best efficiency(8.9 tackles for 1.1 mistackles).

1. Timana Tahu(8.9 tackles for 1.1 mistackles)
2. Anthony Quinn(12.4 tackles for 1.6 mistackles)
3. Luke Rooney(5.9 tackles for 0.8 mistackles)
4. Michael De Vere(13.3 tackles for 1.9 mistackles)
5. Craig Hall(6.0 tackles for 0.9 mistackles)

Some of the worst offenders were David Simmonds(4.5 tackles for 3.0 mistackles), Matt Rieck(3.9 tackles for 1.3 mistackles) and Eric Grothe(2.8 tackles for 1.4 mistackles).

Chook

First Grade
To highlight the uselessness of Chris Walker to fellow Rooster fans I did a comparison based on his stats in 04 after this haflwit cost us yet another two converted tries in yet another grand final loss.

Walker has the highest ineffective tackle ratio (1 in 3) of any winger in the comp.
Walker makes the least number of DH runs of any winger in the comp bar one.
Walker makes more errors than any other winger in the comp.
Walker misses more tackles than any other winger in the comp.
Walker makes the least number of hit ups of any winger in the comp bar one.

Also when comparing Walker to himself with regards to tackles made, offloads, hit ups and metres gained, his 04 season averages versus his last 5 game averages all went down indicating his reluctance to involve himself towards the end of the season.

In contrast when comparing Walker to himself with regards to averages of missed tackles and errors over the 04 season versus his last 5 games, all went up indicating when he did involve himself he screwed up.

I would love nothing better than to hear that Walker has contracted the flesh eating disease!

Chook.

fat_mike

Juniors
martin offiah was the worst backline defender io have ever seen. for him to even go anywhere near a tackle his inside men would have to have the attackers arms and legs pinned before he went in. Despite the amount of pace he had he never grabbed blokes properly when chasing someone down, he preffered the ankle tap way to get someone tog round. very rarely paid off.

Kris_man

Bench
What an easy question - Roy Bell! absolutely pathetic, evidence for the argument that you need size to tackle. effective tackle ratio is 40%, the worst in the league by about 20%.

Raider_69

Post Whore
McLinden and Drew were without a doubt the worst defencive halves combination ever assembled!

Matt M

Juniors
Chris Walker is just about the worst defender I've ever seen. He can't tackle at all and his positional play is just tragic. Go and pick nearly any Roosters games and focus on Walker, he is shocking. (I recommend the last two grand finals, they are chris walker gold).

*Paul*

Juniors
Obviously one can't go past Walker (unlike his opponents - boom-tish!), someone mentioned Slater - he's up there too. Kimmorley's technique is not good either, seen some shockers from him.

Percy Knight sticks in my mind as a former player who was pretty ordinary.

Latest posts