What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst Footy Ideas ever...

Iafeta

Referee
Golden point for round robin games. Thankfully the NRL saw through it as an Americanised charade...

Oh, wait s econd...

Iafeta

Referee
pennywisealfie said:
i disagree with saab more often than not so this isnt because im a fellow broncos fan, but parra pete, your suspension/fine idea sounds like something paul harrogan would come up with.

speaking of chief, the all time worst idea comes from him:

when the knights won the spoon in 05 after a sh*tty start, they started playing good football at the end of the year but were still last by miles yet paul harrogan said that the knights should get a wildcard spot into the finals coz they are playing well.

Ouch :lol:
But fully agreed.

Iafeta

Referee
The Warriors red jersey.

Bad ... bad.... bad idea. I mean... it was a howler. And red. And red has what to do with Auckland? Very bad, and did I add, red?

qldseaeagle96

Juniors
Hmmm where do we start....

#1 SuperLeague full stop
#2 Northern Eagles, I have a strong urge to choke the living sh*t out of anyone I see wearing that merchandise
#3 John Ribot
#3 Those ludicrous SL jerseys with the arrows pointing at the pork sword
#5 Brisbane Broncos, their bullsh*t Sydney bias whinge and their hand in SL. Fielding almost the whole QLD SOO side and declaring "we're under the cap"
#6 North Qld, Warriors & Western Reds, thanks for letting us in the big time Arko, now screw you we're off to SL after 1 season.
#7 North Sydney debacle, have to feel sorry for them did everything right, then it rained alot and put back the move to the Central Coast by one crucial year.
#8 Doing nothing while we are losing talent each and every year to ESL & Snoreball
#9 The near end of suburban grounds and seeing 15k at a stadium that holds 80k most weeks.
#10 Adelaide Rams / Hunter Mariners

parra pete

Referee
Frailty said:
Parra Pete I don't agree with your fine proposal. I think it would place a lot of strain of clubs with less cashflow.

So one side can afford to pay out their players suspension and the other can't. It creates an unbalanced position.

I would like to clarify whether the fine would be paid by the club or the players. If it is the club, the player is not going to feel punishment at all. As it is, the club and NRL has these sorts of fines in place for player indiscretions and coaches bagging referees. Both which have not dropped because of fines.

A better idea to try to refuce charges is suspended pay. They are suspended and lose a percentage of their payment to the CRL or to their local district junior rugby league competition.

This way the higher profile players are punished more as they have the 'role model' tag on them. And what better place to support than the Country and the grassroots.

First of all, thank you for considering it and going into depth. It is easy to say that it is ridiculous. If things aren't raised for public discussion, what is the whole point of the exercise.
It means that every decision that effects Rugby League is made by the NRL committee. Do you want that..I certainly don't
Regarding the fine, I think it should be paid by the player. If they keep getting hit where it hurts, it will soon take effect. Players love loot more than Club loyalty.
Every Club supporter wants to see the best on the paddock. The charade of blokes like Thurston, SBW fronting the judiciary when everyone KNOWS they are going to get off is just bullsh*t.
Fining the player and sending the money to grass roots is a perfect way to punish - and reward - at the same time.
BTW, answer this question - where does the fine money go NOW. Wouldn't it be good if the NRL could be transparent and keep the supporters of the game informed?? Have you EVER read a Press release from the NRL that TELLS you where the fine money goes. Does it just go into Consolidated Revenue to fund NRL officials on junkets - or is it put somewhere more beneficial.
What good does a suspension in a finals match serve the followers of the game? Do they just get the sh*ts because a player who has been a key to their whole year of success is sitting on the sideline. Who wins in that scenario?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The booting of Souths.

The booting of the World 7s

Night time GF

French league's decision to target radio instead of television in the 70s.

I also agree with Kav in that some good has come from SL. Wars are often very productive, the US is well aware of this.

scuzzi

Juniors
the scrum is fine how it is. Dont people realise how boring a scrum is in Union. At least in league they get it over with in a few seconds and move on to the entertaining sh*t. I've watched and switched off many union games because they take 2 mins to feed a damn scrum. League scrums are far superior

Butters

Bench
League scrums are a joke. A scrum is meant to be a contest between the 2 forward packs for the ball. There's no contest in the league scrums, the balls fed into the second row, the forward packs break before the balls even out and they don't even bother to contest for the ball.

Now how is that far superior?

kav

Juniors
The league scrum is simply a way to restart play, give the players a break, and tie in the forwards so the backs can put on a set move. The alternative would be to remove the forwards to the sideline for one tackle ie 7 aside.

Kav

Dave Q

Coach
mouthguard sponserships

And the end of the 7's.

As for the 7's, I'd like to see a hybrid game where we can invite the union players.

Knightmare

Coach
The NSWRL's decision to admit the Broncos in 1988. By granting the licence to a group of businessmen, making money was always going to be priority over the good of the game. The selfish and arrogant agendas of the Maranta-Morgan (and later Ribot) group were disguised by the "Anti-Queensland" tripe they went on with. This was largely what saw the Superleague war ever become more than a pipe dream. The NSWRL should have granted the QRL a licnence to enter a team, or invite the top two QRL teams at the time to make the switch (Redcliffe and Wynnum?) Either that or North Queensland should have been admitted to the comp at the same time, so that the Broncos didn't hold exclusivity to an entire state from the outset. You can almost understand them not wanting to ever give it up!

Knightmare

Coach
qldseaeagle96 said:
Hmmm where do we start....

#1 SuperLeague full stop
#2 Northern Eagles, I have a strong urge to choke the living sh*t out of anyone I see wearing that merchandise
#3 John Ribot
#3 Those ludicrous SL jerseys with the arrows pointing at the pork sword
#5 Brisbane Broncos, their bullsh*t Sydney bias whinge and their hand in SL. Fielding almost the whole QLD SOO side and declaring "we're under the cap"
#6 North Qld, Warriors & Western Reds, thanks for letting us in the big time Arko, now screw you we're off to SL after 1 season.
#7 North Sydney debacle, have to feel sorry for them did everything right, then it rained alot and put back the move to the Central Coast by one crucial year.
#8 Doing nothing while we are losing talent each and every year to ESL & Snoreball
#9 The near end of suburban grounds and seeing 15k at a stadium that holds 80k most weeks.
#10 Adelaide Rams / Hunter Mariners

Bang. Best post so far.

McCrud

Juniors
Knightmare said:
The NSWRL's decision to admit the Broncos in 1988. By granting the licence to a group of businessmen, making money was always going to be priority over the good of the game. The selfish and arrogant agendas of the Maranta-Morgan (and later Ribot) group were disguised by the "Anti-Queensland" tripe they went on with. This was largely what saw the Superleague war ever become more than a pipe dream. The NSWRL should have granted the QRL a licnence to enter a team, or invite the top two QRL teams at the time to make the switch (Redcliffe and Wynnum?) Either that or North Queensland should have been admitted to the comp at the same time, so that the Broncos didn't hold exclusivity to an entire state from the outset. You can almost understand them not wanting to ever give it up!
Paul Harrogan School of Management™ Board

Mr Saab

Referee
Knightmare said:

You rank up there with Parra Pete for stupidity

Knightmare

Coach
The Knights were mismanaged from 1988 up until last year. But it doesn't change the fact that awarding the licence for Brisbane to the Maranta-Morgan group was a big mistake.

mightybears

Bench
#1 SuperLeague - rupie and his need to pick up pay tv subs
#2 the murder of the only sydney team willing to leave the sydney area..you know who!
#3 and therefore 3 is the Northern Evils
#3 John Ribot, his parents, friends, mates-anyone associated with mr ribot de wanker
#4 Brisbane Broncos, morgan and co -the scabby horses and their media puppet mates like steve ricketts.