What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst halfback in NRL 2011

Worst halfback?

• Total voters

franklin2323

Immortal
Nothing to do with hatred. I don't hate anyone. I just think Sandow is to concerned with big hits & dishing it to opposition fans (mainly before the game's even won) then playing footy a dangerous trait for a 1/2. Leave to the forwards & just guide them around Sandow

Vic Mackey

Referee
I must admit though sandow is good value, he always makes he laugh when he scores a try to bring souths to with 34 and then celebrates like he's just won comp

typicalfan

Coach
I must admit though sandow is good value, he always makes he laugh when he scores a try to bring souths to with 34 and then celebrates like he's just won comp
he is passionate, annoying when he plays against you but I don't mind that stuff as long as it doesnt go too far.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree that Souths have a lot of potential points in them but I reckon Luke is the key man in their team because he has something that very few players
have - vision to see what's going to happen 2 or 3 plays ahead. Sandow's role has got to be to be ready to go when Luke goes.

I disagree that Luke's vision is anything special.

His best quality is his strength and acceleration; he's an absolute beast out of dummy half. Couple that with the fact he's got free reign to run whenever he wants to and all he needs to 'see' is that the markers aren't in position and he carves up.

Sandow's much better than people here give him credit for. And Sutton's an absolute jet. The only thing holding the pair of them back is their attitudes - Sandow gets too focused on posturing, while Sutton needs the club leaders to regularly kick his arse and keep his head in his football.

They still won't win it this year though.

Probably not but I tip them to go close and 2012 they'll be genuine contenders.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
he is passionate, annoying when he plays against you but I don't mind that stuff as long as it doesnt go too far.

I think it's good for the game.

Having players you hate gets fans to the ground. The last game I went to was the Melbourne game at Parra Stadium last year and the only one I'll go to this year will be the Parra game in Melbourne.

Not that I'd go out of my way to boo Melbourne - but I just moved down here. :(

BunniesMan

Immortal
When I voted I stated my reasons, so I would not be accused of just "voting against Souths".
I voted and gave my reasons for doing so. That is my opinion. That is my right to cast a vote.

As I was voting I thought BM will chime in with the old "everyone hates us" tag.
Well surprise surprise he has.

You gotta grow up BunniesMan and fast.
You are 1 angry little 20 year old.
Grow up and get that chip of your shoulder.

Cue nasty reply.....
Nasty? No, but still a reply:
There are opinions, and then there are wrong opinions. Guess what category yours falls in. There's no logical reason to say Sandow is the worst halfback in the game. He has flaws in his game, But I'm not asking people to say he's the best 7 going around, but he's not the worst and it's just wrong to say so.

And you say you're entitled to your opinion, well I'm entitled to mine and it is my opinion that a clear majority of his votes are not because of him but the club he plays for.

For him to get as many as Smith and Mortimer combined is a joke. Too many haters voting with their hate instead of their head.

In the modern game it is impossible to score the 2nd most points in a season, while playing the supposedly worst #7 in the game. Just not possible.
Leading the NRL for try assists. Doesn't make him a great halfback, but it certainly rules him out of being in contention for the worst halfback.
Same with Sandow. Being part of an elite attack doesn't make him a great halfback, but it certainly rules him out of being in contention for the worst.

gronkathon

First Grade
Sandow will be defined by how he chooses to use Inglis and Sutton this season.

It will be very easy for him to become a shovel player and a boot.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I disagree that Luke's vision is anything special.

His best quality is his strength and acceleration; he's an absolute beast out of dummy half. Couple that with the fact he's got free reign to run whenever he wants to and all he needs to 'see' is that the markers aren't in position and he carves up.

Sandow's much better than people here give him credit for. And Sutton's an absolute jet. The only thing holding the pair of them back is their attitudes - Sandow gets too focused on posturing, while Sutton needs the club leaders to regularly kick his arse and keep his head in his football.

Probably not but I tip them to go close and 2012 they'll be genuine contenders.
We'll have to disagree on Luke. its one thing knowing when to run at dummy half its another to know where the space is behind the ruck and where the cover is coming from. I think he does that well. With Sutton his long ball is going to be important - if he picks out Taylor, Inglis or Burgess out wide in some room there could be trouble for opposition defences.

I think souths will make top 6 minimum but falter in the big games. 2012? who knows.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Bunniesman, it almost seems like anyone who attempts to validate their claims about Sandow is in for an absolute belter from you.

When your team is defending well, it's not terribly noticeable. But when the defence is off it's game, Sandow is terribly exposed and that is what makes him such a liability. The stats don't lie, he's broken all sorts of missed-tackle records and was well clear of everyone from a very early stage in the season, even when your mob was going quite well.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Bunniesman, it almost seems like anyone who attempts to validate their claims about Sandow is in for an absolute belter from you.

When your team is defending well, it's not terribly noticeable. But when the defence is off it's game, Sandow is terribly exposed and that is what makes him such a liability. The stats don't lie, he's broken all sorts of missed-tackle records and was well clear of everyone from a very early stage in the season, even when your mob was going quite well.
Of course, even I'll admit he has serious deficiencies in defense, but that doesn't make him the worst #7 in the game. In attack, is he the next Andrew Johns? No, but there's nothing at all in his attack to make him deserve the title, and his defense isn't a good enough reason, especially considering he's only 21.

He just needs to improve his decision making and remember the low percentage stuff in his defense, that comes with experience.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sandow will be defined by how he chooses to use Inglis and Sutton this season.

It will be very easy for him to become a shovel player and a boot.

Modern halves don't really 'use' each other, but rather, they link up in the middle of the field on shift plays. Right to left, Sandow might be passing to Sutton. Left to right, it might be Sutton to Sandow.

As for Inglis, he'll probably be on the left outside Sutton (and Dave Taylor).

Inglis prefers the left side of the field and with Colin Best gone there's no reason why they'd shift Inglis to the right. Dylan Farrell played on the right in Champion's absence so he'll probably stay there this year.

So Sandow will have Burgess, Farrell and Merritt outside him. He'll get plenty of opportunities to show his stuff.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
To be fair to all players, it's hard to really adjudicate on who the worst #7 is, given some haven't turned out for their club yet (Hodkinson for CBY, as an example). Might be a better question mid-to-late season.

anjado

Juniors
Honestly this is difficult Mortimer is the worst halfback on the basis that he isn't a half back at all but a five eighth.

Souths should drop Sandow and promote there toyota cup half back he seemed well organized and had a sensational kicking game.

Tim Smith plays in a terrible team it will be interesting to see how he goes this season because he will be the man for Cronulla.

At the moment the worst Halfback has to be Manly's halfback by the fact we don't know how suited he is to the NRL.

the1

Juniors
I thought Sandow's defence actually improved towards the end of last year. He seemed to be hiding himself well around the defensive line. I don't think he was targetted as badly as he has been in the past and I think that is because he got better and hiding himself in defence.

SoftSydney

Juniors
I have to say Sandow, needs to stop show boating and stop dreaming about being a prop, worst of all he gives and up and puts his head down.

Latest posts