What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst staduim/field?

ibeme

First Grade
The Showground.

The coldest football experience I've had as a supporter was last year at Shark Park when the Bulldogs played there. Gale force winds blew the electronic screen down. The rain almost pierced your skin.

El Masri still managed to pot a few goals from out wide though that had to bend about 90 degrees.

Having said that, I don't mind Shark Park. Used to have some good nights out there because it's attached to the club, and the shuttle bus helps too.

Coldest playing experience was in Bombala when I was 14. They actually gave us permission to play with trakky daks under our shorts. Our fingers were numb, and there was a heavy frost over the ground even though it was about 10:00am.

MightySharks

Bench
ibeme said:
The Showground.

The coldest football experience I've had as a supporter was last year at Shark Park when the Bulldogs played there. Gale force winds blew the electronic screen down. The rain almost pierced your skin.

El Masri still managed to pot a few goals from out wide though that had to bend about 90 degrees.

Having said that, I don't mind Shark Park. Used to have some good nights out there because it's attached to the club, and the shuttle bus helps too.

Coldest playing experience was in Bombala when I was 14. They actually gave us permission to play with trakky daks under our shorts. Our fingers were numb, and there was a heavy frost over the ground even though it was about 10:00am.
I was there to that wind was ridiculous but it was gale force all over sydney you can't blame shark park for that!

brook

First Grade
ibeme said:

The coldest I've EVER been at the footy was Balmains last first grade game at the den v parra in 99. Two of our PLAYERS ended up with hypothermia so god knows how many fans did - I was at the game in canberra when it snowed without being anywhere near as cold as that day

so year the coastal winds will do it to you.

Foz

Bench
Shark Park facilities are in need of upgrading.
I'm pretty sure if a few things get through council the place could be a show-piece.
(Getting through council is another matter.)
Nothing wrong with the playing surface.
It is immaculate.

Booyah

Bench
ibeme said:
The Showground.

Mate that day was insane, but that had nothing to do with Shark Park. It was like that all over Sydney.

I remember that game because Matty Hilder kicked and missed, and the wind blew it through the posts. :lol:

But yeah I do agree with those who say how cold Shark Park is. The place is arctic at night and there's very little shelter around. It could be much better.

Glenn

First Grade
My vote would go to Leichhardt, ground is a nightmare to get out of, a "grandstand" that has been lost to the termites and the dungeon like toilets
It has heritage value yes, but in desperate need of some attention

Southernsaint

Staff member
steaming stormer said:
I take it not too many of you Sydney siders have come down to Olympic Park. It struggles as a stadium

But you'd still prefer it to the Colonial Stadium fiasco??

I don't like Shark Park's hills they are not elevated enough. The wind does get cold but everyone knows to take an extra jacket to Shark Park. Cronulla could have a really good little boutique stadium if they could get it through council. The transport isn't as bad as people make out. Woollooware and a stroll down the hill.

Parramatta Stadium has been ruined by Dennis the Menace and the seats where there was once hill.

But the worst ground was Energy Australia Stadium at Newcastle. Haven't been there since the upgrade though. There hills were dirt mounds the only grass on the hill was usually rolled up in Tally Ho's. The toilets were a disgrace the queue's worse. The surrounding grounds were bogs to stroll thru to get to the ground. I hate Marathon/Energy Australia Stadium.

Red Bear

Referee
North Sydney Oval is brilliant.
Win stadium is great unless there is that wind, if there is the hill is absolutely freezing.
Oki look slightly average, Shark Park was orright nothing special.

chunk

Juniors
Glenn said:
My vote would go to Leichhardt, ground is a nightmare to get out of, a "grandstand" that has been lost to the termites and the dungeon like toilets
It has heritage value yes, but in desperate need of some attention

Yes I agree it is need of some attention however

It's worth the wait...

Sit on the hill, don't even have to go near those Grandstands...

Toilets are bearable...

Besides the atmosphere totally outways any negatives.

belindarae

Juniors
I think I win in the "coldest game ever" stakes. I was at the Raiders v Tigers the day it snowed in May 2000!!!

The worst ground has gotta be Shark Park. I tried sitting on the hills, could not see a thing. Worst seat in the NRL though is the front row at Aussie Stadium, with the angle of the field you cannot see the half of the field closest to you.

macavity

Referee
Southern Rooster said:
But the worst ground was Energy Australia Stadium at Newcastle. Haven't been there since the upgrade though. There hills were dirt mounds the only grass on the hill was usually rolled up in Tally Ho's. The toilets were a disgrace the queue's worse. The surrounding grounds were bogs to stroll thru to get to the ground. I hate Marathon/Energy Australia Stadium.

yep.

and the current upgrade doesn't fix all that is wrong. not by a long way.

the western stand desperately needs to be bulldozed.

sunny

The Showground is just lame, whilst Telstra Stadium is the worst major sporting stadium in the world. Belmore should be given a thorough renovation and the Dogs should move back there.

Latest posts