What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you follow league if your club died/merged/relocated!!

Would you still follow league?

• Yes

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 32 20.0%

• Total voters

Engine

Juniors
Simple question.

Would you still follow league if your club died/merged or relocated?

Put it this way. There is little doubt that if league is to move forward, it must do two things.

1. Expansion to other areas in Australia.

2. Reduction of teams in the Sydney area.

Most people don't have a problem with the first idea. Many short-sighted people do have a problem with the second idea. Every fan can see that there are too many clubs in Sydney, yet are dead against their own club taking drastic action. Simply, clubs will need to bite the bullet and relocate if league is to develop.

Old North Sydney fans would still watch rugby league today. I mean, imagine if NSW had two teams. Those two teams would get 30000+ a weekend.

Engine

Juniors
English Rugby League went through a restructuring phase, Australian Soccer had a big overhaul of the former NSL competition and the NBL are now going through a similar process.

It is the NRL's turn to do the same.

kkingston

Juniors
Too be honest i would probably watch the odd match every couple of weeks, But not to the level i do know. Might take higher interest in other sport such as AFL, Rugby etc then eventually adopt a side after the 5 year devestation period.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
No. I didn't watch a game of league for 2 years and I'd have no problem doing that again indefinately.

Engine

Juniors
I was devestated when the Balmain Tigers merged, but at least I have some identity left. Tbh, I love the Wests Tigers, but I don't quite follow them with the same life and death attitude that I followed Balmain with.

Life goes on.

girvie

Staff member
I will only follow the Bears in whatever competition they are playing in.

Apey

Staff member
I'd probably cry :crazy:

Then I would have some vicious mood swings.

Then, I would still follow NRL, but no where near to the extent I do now.

t-ba

Post Whore
Yes. I'd rather a relocated club that maintains Manly's identity however. I'm about 45% resigned to the fact we're abut a 62% chance of moving to Kawana in the next dozen years...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Died? Absolutely not. No Roosters = no Rugby league. I'd sooner follow the local lawn bowls.

Merged? Absolutely not. If we merged with someone like Souths then my disgust would drive me away. As im sure it would Souths fans.

Relocated? It would probably take me some time to adjust, at best. We are the Eastern Subrubs Rugby League Club and have been for 100 years. That sort of tradition creates a real sense of identity which is hard to replace.

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Simple question.

Would you still follow league if your club died/merged or relocated?

Put it this way. There is little doubt that if league is to move forward, it must do two things.

1. Expansion to other areas in Australia.

2. Reduction of teams in the Sydney area.

Most people don't have a problem with the first idea. Many short-sighted people do have a problem with the second idea. Every fan can see that there are too many clubs in Sydney, yet are dead against their own club taking drastic action. Simply, clubs will need to bite the bullet and relocate if league is to develop.

Old North Sydney fans would still watch rugby league today. I mean, imagine if NSW had two teams. Those two teams would get 30000+ a weekend.

The norths fans I knew walked away from the game altogether.

Wrong place to ask the question. This is a forum for league junkies - you won't get an accurate reflection of the mood to change here.

I am one of those short sighted people who think we will kill the game if we go down the path you are suggesting.

bartman

Immortal
Agree with the concept that the game needs to look at getting back to those areas (Perth, Adelaide). No problems there.

But if it were my club that were relocated/merged or died for the greater good, then I'd have to say my active days as a "follower" would be over. I'd turn it on occasionally, catch half of a game on TV or something, but the desire wouldn't be there the same way it has been for the past 30 years.

JW

Coach
As far as supporting a club goes, the Broncos are it. If they were to cease to exist, then that's that. However, I doubt very much my support for the game itself would lessen at all and I would still follow it very keenly. It is, after all, the one passion that we all have in common and what allows our clubs to ply their trade.

I was an old Balmain supporter so I've already endured one merger, thank you very much! I suppose it wasn't such a hard transition for us Balmain supporters as it would have been for a Magpies fan. Anyway, further mergers are a very plausible means to ensure the survival of the NRL and I hope that supporters of clubs affected don't relinquish their support entirely.