What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you follow league if your club died/merged/relocated!!

Would you still follow league?

• Yes

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 32 20.0%

• Total voters
i hope more fans dont have to suffer what i and others went through before.

mergers or relocations are not the answer.

i just think its funny that sydney clubs managed to survive for decades, but once News ltd get involved in the game, they are struggling financially.

anyone remember what news ltd original idea was for sydney - 4 teams.

dont let a media company destory the heritage of the game further.

its bad enough weve lost norths, or that wests or balmain merged, or illawarra lost their side, for it to happen to more sides would be a tragedy.

id have thought the nrl wouldve have learned their lessons after they kicked souths out but news ltd sure can hold a grudge

Parraletic

Juniors
If the Eels died I would still watch footy but would find it hard going for another team. If we merged or re-located I would still follow them as long as we were around in some capacity.

i hope more fans dont have to suffer what i and others went through before.

mergers or relocations are not the answer.

i just think its funny that sydney clubs managed to survive for decades, but once News ltd get involved in the game, they are struggling financially.

anyone remember what news ltd original idea was for sydney - 4 teams.

dont let a media company destory the heritage of the game further.

its bad enough weve lost norths, or that wests or balmain merged, or illawarra lost their side, for it to happen to more sides would be a tragedy.

id have thought the nrl wouldve have learned their lessons after they kicked souths out but news ltd sure can hold a grudge

We lost a worthy supporter when you decided to jump ship...

Rogue.9

Juniors
If my team folded I would watch the occasional game but no where to the extent of now.

If it merged, depending on who it merged with then I would still follow them if we were the dominant partner in the merger, I would rather see them merge than die but it might kill my enthusiasm.

If they relocated, depending on where they relocated then I would still follow them. If they moved to an area where it was unrealistic to attend at least every 2nd home game (Perth, Wellington, Adelaide) than my enthusiasm for the team & game might die a bit. As it is if Parra had decided to move anymore games to ANZ I wasn't renewing my season ticket

Pigskin

Juniors
The Broncos are unlikely to be given the flick or have to merge any time soon.

However, if they did ... i would support a merged team ... I would continue to support Brisbane Easts ... I would watch RL without my team in it ... and I would abandon the Broncos in a heartbeat if Brisbane Easts ever entered the NRL (which won't happen).

Sydney has 9 teams, 2 of which have already merged ... leaving 7 single identities.

My Sydney geography is non-existent ... but Cronulla joining StGI, and the other 6 teams merging to make 3 teams, + the Tigers ... equals 5 teams in Sydney. (Roosters/Manly, Penrith/Parramatta, Canterbury/Souths ? ... i have no idea but i'm sure somebody will flame me the correct answer)

5 seems about right for Sydney ... add Perth/CC/SC/Wellington ... worry about Adelaide later ... 16 team comp, with bright prospects.

Oink !

j5o6hn

Juniors
In Perth where I live the local rules comp which used to atract crowds of between 7000 and 30000(WAFL) still exists the two AFL clubs here take the good players,I dont understand why if you follow the game follow the game not the club.
If it happens you can blame the mismanaged short sighted CEOs in the clubs,most I think would not know if there arse was on fire

maccattack

Juniors
The real question is:

Which do you love more, Rugby League or your club?

For me Id say I love the game more. I am so proud of rugby league as a sport that I could never abandon it. All that wonderful history that we can all be so proud of.

Id hate to see my club go but my support would go on, maybe more passionately as I give the game that little extra nudge it needs right now.

I feel I owe the game more than it owes me. It defines Australia for me and is part of who we are as a people, and is a part of me as an individual.

Maybe Id find a whole new team to support, who knows but Id support 'a' team.

Red Bear

Referee
Speaking as a person with this experience.

I still follow League. Why? When norths got kicked out i was 10, i still love the game (despite it not being near what it should be). My team is North Sydney and i follow them in the NSW Cup.
I dont watch it on TV much, too many times there are sides i have no interest in watching on, or they are boring to watch.
My favourite places to watch football are at a packed SFS (or even and SFS with over 10K), preferable on about half way, opposite side to where players enter field (bay 34-36 roughly i think), just because it supurb viewing and a great atmosphere, especially on Anzac day, and Leichhardt Oval, because it to me is what footy is all about, going along in droves, on the hill, at a great, picturesque suburban ground. I also dont mind Win just cos its local.
Hate ANZ stadium, it is everything i dislike about footy, fake feeling, no atmosphere, sh*tty seats. Cant stand the guesthouse.

As far as clubs go, dont really follow anyone in the NRL. If anyone easts i guess, and i like watching the Tigpies play because they play the best football, this is more a process of elimination because of there being so many scummy clubs (manly brisbane melbourne NQ Cowboys canterbury).

Im still disgusted by the treatment of my side by the NRL, however, and despite attending games i dont purchase or read the sh*tness of the telegraph or subscribe to Austar at all.

joshreading

Staff member
I would continue. I would have to decide who to support and that might take some time. I might become a fan without a club.

English Rugby League went through a restructuring phase, Australian Soccer had a big overhaul of the former NSL competition and the NBL are now going through a similar process.

It is the NRL's turn to do the same.

you reckon champ?

most english clubs refused mergers. the only 2 that occured with clubs going broke.

Utter garbage, everything in bold. The issue is piss poor management by the NRL and club bosses in regard to revenue and memberships, not the amount of teams. Some short sighted people would rather blame it on other things, like the existence of the Roosters or Cronulla.

If Sydney was reduced to 2 teams, the NRL would exist as a shadow of its current self, be dominated by QLD, and the 2 sydney teams would get ARC-like crowds.

If Roosters:
Died - I would not support another team, I would not give a single cent to RL in any way shape or form ever again. I might watch on TV occasionally.

Merged - I would probably be able to support them, after an initial period of disgust and anger. How long this period is would depend on if we merged with the Redfern scum or not.

Relocated - Probably the best option of the above... maybe. Any of these I can't see my season ticket being renewed anytime soon.

spot on.

anyone that argues there are too many sydney team is ignorant of RL..

and yes i do include david gallop in that

Kiki

First Grade
yes i will never ever stop following league. whatever incarnation the dragons end up in, ill always follow them.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
I stopped watching footy cold when Manly merged with the hated Bears. It was a year or two after Manly returned to the competition as a sole entity before i came back. Since then though, i've become almost as much of a rugby league fan as I am a Manly fan. Time, wife and baby permitting, i'll watch 4-5 games each weekend, whereas in the 80's and 90's i'd rarely watch a game that didn't involve Manly.

So I think if something happened to Manly again i'd probably still watch the game - if we merged i'd follow the newly merged team becuase, barring the Bulldogs, there are no other Sydney teams i hate as much as I hated the Bears. Having said that i sincerely wish they were still in the NRL. Nothing bought me more pleasure than travelling to North Sydney Oval (my second favourite stadium in Sydney) and watching us dish out a bear-spanking.

If we were moved i'd be crushed, as i assume my days of heading down the road to Brookie would be over. I'd still watch on telly, but i doubt i'd be able to find the motivation to travel from the beaches into the SFS/ANZ, or whichever of the western/southern grounds were still hosting footy. Probably the same if the club were booted entirely.

I feel fairly confident that worst case scenario will see Manly merged with maybe the Roosters, as you can't just leave the netire northern half of the city with no club.

Bazal

Post Whore
Merge-Yes
Relocate-Yes
Died-I'd never be able to get into the NRL as much as I do now. I'd probably turn to my ESL side tbh, and watch the NRL out of interest but not really supporting anyone

8Ball

First Grade
As others have said, there's little chance of the broncos merging/folding/relocating.

If the broncos merged or relocated, yes.

If they folded, yes, with slightly less interest. However, in time I will probably pick up a club, depending where my favorite players go, I might support that team.

Inferno

Coach
No chance. I'd give up all together.

Wouldn't support another code though. I'd probably just take up gardening.

Latest posts