What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you follow league if your club died/merged/relocated!!

Would you still follow league?

• Yes

Votes: 76 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 32 20.0%

• Total voters

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
You don't like eastsrule very much.

What makes you think that (don't answer) ;-)

But, moving on from that, I'd hate it if Parra merged or died, I could handle a relocation much better.

The only club in West Sydney I'd hate to see Parra merge with would be Penruffff :x

What makes you think that (don't answer) ;-)

But, moving on from that, I'd hate it if Parra merged or died, I could handle a relocation much better.

The only club in West Sydney I'd hate to see Parra merge with would be Penruffff :x

Ok hypothetically, if Wests Tigers were to disband would you support a merger with either Wests or Balmain? How about a Canterbury- Parramatta love-in?

El Diablo

Post Whore
yes

there's nothing that could ever make me follow AFL

i find it ridiculous when people say they'd start following that abortion of a game if their team were to merge or relocate

Poul

Juniors
I do, and have, and will continue to follow Rugby League.
I am certainly not as partisan as I used to be, and now consider myself to be a more mature aficionado (sp?) of the game itself.
I would rather burn in hell than follow soccer, union, or afl.

Whilst I would agree that expansion of the game is required, I'm not necessarily sure about relocations and/or mergers. I feel that relocations in particular, are only likely to alienate the supporters of the particular club, especially in its geographical heartland, which would only open the door for (a) rival code/s to step in. Imagine for instance if the Sharks were relocated to the Sunshine Coast. How many fans in the Shire would continue to support them? Even if they were able to retain a significant number of current fans, I think it is unlikely that they would be able to grow their fan base in the Shire, and the area would be eventually lost to Rugby League. I don't know the answer to this question, but how many new fans do you think the Swans have in South Melbourne? Mergers, if mutually agreeable to the clubs concerned may be a better option.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Ok hypothetically, if Wests Tigers were to disband would you support a merger with either Wests or Balmain? How about a Canterbury- Parramatta love-in?

Yep, for sure, any of those if it meant RL getting stronger.

A Parra/Dogs team would be a bloody awesome club, the only thing that would really suck is the rivalry we have had over the decades would be killed stone dead.

big boppa eel

Juniors
I was an old Balmain supporter so I've already endured one merger, thank you very much! I suppose it wasn't such a hard transition for us Balmain supporters as it would have been for a Magpies fan. Anyway, further mergers are a very plausible means to ensure the survival of the NRL and I hope that supporters of clubs affected don't relinquish their support entirely.
Wests def got the short straw in this merger you still have your emblem and colours, West have a 2 inch magpie on one shoulder, more like a takeover.

adamkungl

Immortal
Simple question.

Would you still follow league if your club died/merged or relocated?

Put it this way. There is little doubt that if league is to move forward, it must do two things.

1. Expansion to other areas in Australia.

2. Reduction of teams in the Sydney area.

Most people don't have a problem with the first idea. Many short-sighted people do have a problem with the second idea. Every fan can see that there are too many clubs in Sydney, yet are dead against their own club taking drastic action. Simply, clubs will need to bite the bullet and relocate if league is to develop.

Old North Sydney fans would still watch rugby league today. I mean, imagine if NSW had two teams. Those two teams would get 30000+ a weekend.

Utter garbage, everything in bold. The issue is piss poor management by the NRL and club bosses in regard to revenue and memberships, not the amount of teams. Some short sighted people would rather blame it on other things, like the existence of the Roosters or Cronulla.

If Sydney was reduced to 2 teams, the NRL would exist as a shadow of its current self, be dominated by QLD, and the 2 sydney teams would get ARC-like crowds.

If Roosters:
Died - I would not support another team, I would not give a single cent to RL in any way shape or form ever again. I might watch on TV occasionally.

Merged - I would probably be able to support them, after an initial period of disgust and anger. How long this period is would depend on if we merged with the Redfern scum or not.

Relocated - Probably the best option of the above... maybe. Any of these I can't see my season ticket being renewed anytime soon.

adamkungl

Immortal
Wests def got the short straw in this merger you still have your emblem and colours, West have a 2 inch magpie on one shoulder, more like a takeover.

There's black and white on the jersey, they are named "Wests", and a majority of games are played in Wests territory (either Campbeltown or Homebush). Hardly a takeover to the extent of St George (Illawarra).

Johns Magic

Referee
No I don't think so.

I'd probably have a vague interest in the Roosters, but only because they're my local team, and it would never be anywhere near the same.

Poul

Juniors
Out of interest, would those fans who live outside their club's geographical heartland, be more likely to support the club if it was relocated or if it were to merge with another club?
I can see how those who live in the heartland might easliy be alienated in the first scenario, but would those living outside be less affected, and be more alienated by a merge?

Nuke

Staff member
I voted 'Maybe' but I actually meant to click 'Yes'.

Luckily I am a Newcastle supporter, so we're very unlikely to ever merge, relocate, or get killed off. However, hypothetically, should it happen in my lifetime, I would remain a League supporter and watch games. I would continue to cheer for Country against City, NSW in Origin, and Australia in test matches. I would still be very much involved with my local WA club as I am now (although by then, I doubt I'd still be a player!), and I'd still attend WA Reds games in whatever competition they'd be in at that time.

I would, however, lose a lot of the passion I have for my sport without my team in it. There is not a chance at all that I would turn to another sport such as AFL, soccer, union, ect. I may be broken-hearted, but I wouldn't be that desperate.

There's black and white on the jersey, they are named "Wests", and a majority of games are played in Wests territory (either Campbeltown or Homebush). Hardly a takeover to the extent of St George (Illawarra).

Also note 50% equity entitlements held by Balmain & 50% by Wests Magpies ie equal representation on the board.

The media, especially during the 2005 run towards the Grand Final probably obsessed a bit too much over the Balmain heritage and didn't give proper attention to the Magpies tradition, although thats the only point of disparity that I can think of (apart from the obvious mascot).

Poul

Juniors
Also, out of interest, are there any Newtown Jets fans from when they were in the NSWRL competition who are NRL fans, and if so what team/s do they support? I guess the same could be asked of North Sydney Bears fans?

Chook Norris

First Grade
i love rugby league, so yes

however, if Easts was to ever die then i could not possibly follow another team, follow rugby league-still i would

if we were to relocate... yes

merge..... maybe follow the merged team..

SaveTheChildren

Juniors
Also note 50% equity entitlements held by Balmain & 50% by Wests Magpies ie equal representation on the board.

The media, especially during the 2005 run towards the Grand Final probably obsessed a bit too much over the Balmain heritage and didn't give proper attention to the Magpies tradition, although thats the only point of disparity that I can think of (apart from the obvious mascot).

Not forgetting Balmain are 80% of the support base.

Poul

Juniors
i love rugby league, so yes

however, if Easts was to ever die then i could not possibly follow another team, follow rugby league-still i would

if we were to relocate... yes

merge..... maybe follow the merged team..

Chook, do you live within/close to or outside Roosters territory?

Latest posts