What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wrestlemania XXVII thread **SPOILERS**

Big Pete

Referee
That match happens once a year and both did the sell job of a lifetime.

Those ROH matches happen every week.

Big Pete

Referee
Still doesnt justify the false finishes dude.

Ah what?

There was like two different false finishes, with Taker hitting the tombstone and HHH hitting Taker with everything bar the kitchen sink.

What I'm referring to in ROH is when they trade finishers over and over with no rhyme or reason and eventually we have a victor. And this happens on the majority of the matches.

There was a rhyme and a reason to Taker/HHH.

Special K, when you can actually hold an argument you can talk about sanity, until then enjoy living in the 90's.

Last edited:
The majority of the matches is a bit of a stretch dude. I'll admit they do do it, though it happens less and less nowadays.

The rhyme and reason is that the match had a sh*tty build up (Im sorry, it could have been booked far better, and wasnt) and very little story to tell in the ring. That couple with the fact that Triple H can't go like he used to, meant they had to work the very methodical "Triple H'-style match, as opposed to the Michaels/Taker matches we've seen in years previous, which were quite dynamic looking back at them. False finsiehs would have worked had the storytelling meant something.

Was what it was though. Would have been cool if Scotty 2 Hotty had done a run in. Instant 5 stars.

Big Pete

Referee
For sure, he'd have to doane the special dance glasses with him though.

Care to point out some matches that don't?

I haven't watched ROH in awhile but I can name a few matches off my head in Daniels/Hero, Edwards/Briscoe, Black/Richards and Generico/Steen. Basically all those matches didn't need to have them except for Generico/Steen which for my money was the best match for ROH last year and close to being MotY (Taker/Michaels JUST clinches it).

In regards to HHH/Taker it did have a disappointing build up until that last promo the week before Mania which finally gave the match a meaning. The story was HHH was out to end the streak to send Taker out to pasture because he didn't think he could go anymore. This makes sense given he was 0-3 against Kane.

And the match played exactly to that with Taker hitting out one desperation move to retain his streak.

I agree it wasn't as good as Michaels/Taker which were both classics but this was still a great match that did an excellent job of working the crowd. Also by his standards, that wasn't a methodical HHH match, he surprised me last night and basically gave it everything he could.

But no, S2H/Young @ BFG 2011 will eat that s**t for breakfast.

Moffo

Referee
Another Moffo prediction. :lol:

They'd really have to mess up big time to be out of business, considering all the money they're still making.

Oh did I hurt your feelings wwe loverboy?

If they don't put an edge back in to the programming it will be swallowed up proper by ufc (if it hasn't already). So many teenage kids now would rather watch ufc then a weekly turd inspired wwe event

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
wwe wont die it still makes sh*t loads on live events and merch, TNA is the one that would be in trouble with the still massive rise of the ufc

WM27 Thoughts

Opening the event with a WHC match.... REALLY? so much for the Rumble winner gets to main event Mania and the credibility of the title itself, other than that was a decent match, suprised to see edge go over but i guess del rio will win it at a ppv down the road

Rey/Cody : was ok, not the best work by either man but decent enough to get you through

8 man tag.... lasted what 3minutes? if that why couldn't this match been bumped off the card instead of Bryan/Ginger Whinger

Orton/Punk : Was pretty good, could have been alot better, and another Killer RKO to finish

Mixed Tag match, i know vince tryna get a wide spread tv Audience, but sorry a 4ft 9 Chilean midget wannabe italian aint gonna do it, would have much rathered Ziggler/JoMo go at it as they oculd have stolen the show

HHH/Taker: Great match, not as good as the HBK ones but i guess thats why HBK is one of the best, looks like both of them put everything they had into the event so good on both of them, Taker looked hammered after it so maybe 1 more mania before he hangs the boots up

Lawler/Cole: Bore Fest, only good thing about it is hearing JR on Color Commentary

Cena/Miz: if you couldn't see from the last raw that The Rock was going to screw Cena one way or another your a bit slow, Predictable ending

In the end nowhere near as good as a mania that it could have been... hopefully WM 28 will be better

Big Pete

Referee
Oh did I hurt your feelings wwe loverboy?

If they don't put an edge back in to the programming it will be swallowed up proper by ufc (if it hasn't already). So many teenage kids now would rather watch ufc then a weekly turd inspired wwe event

No, I'm just looking at the finances which say otherwise. Your history of predictions is also laughable.

aussies1st

Staff member
Alot of it was predictable, the Taker v HHH match was just that until HHH got the tombstone out where I thought for a second they would end the streak. Once he kicked out it was a given Taker would win.

Looks like Del Rio will go down the Sheamus route now without the title. I had a feeling when the commentators mentioned Edge had never defended his title on WM that he would win it. Other than that they should have just gone through with the massive push they gave him.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
they actually making more money now than they were back then... but again that comes down to advancement in tech, more than the level of the product

Big Pete

Referee
Right-o, show me some numbers vs ten years ago

This is about as far as WWE Corporate will go.

Year: Revenue : Profit
1994 - 1995 : $87,352,000 : -$4,431,000
1995 - 1996 : $85,815,000 : $3,319,000
1996 - 1997 : $81,863,000 : $6,505,000
1997 - 1999 : $126,231,000 : $8,466,000
1998 - 1999 : $251,474,000 : $56,030,000
1999 - 2000 : $373,100,000 : $68,937,000
2000 - 2001 : $456,043,000 : $15,987,000
2001 - 2002 : $409,622,000 : $42,233,000
2002 - 2003 : $374,264,000 : -$19,455,000
2003 - 2004 : $374,909,000 : $48,192,000
2004 - 2005 : $366,431,000 : $39,147,000
2005 - 2006 : $400,051,000 : $47,047,000
2006 : $262,937,000 : $31,617,000
2007 : $485,700,000 : $52,137,000
2008 : $526,457,000 : $45,416,000
2009 : $475,161,000 : $50,303,000
2010 : $477,700,000 : $53,300,000

And WM 27's gate alone drew $6.6 million. That's not even counting buyrates or anything else yet.

To say they look like folding, is silly.

Last edited:
Alot of it was predictable, the Taker v HHH match was just that until HHH got the tombstone out where I thought for a second they would end the streak. Once he kicked out it was a given Taker would win.

Looks like Del Rio will go down the Sheamus route now without the title. I had a feeling when the commentators mentioned Edge had never defended his title on WM that he would win it. Other than that they should have just gone through with the massive push they gave him.

I don't think this is the end of Del Rio/Edge. I think they'll have another match at Extreme Rules, where Alberto should win the strap.

Just looking at the times for the matches, the WHC match was shorter than the Cole/Lawler match. Add to the fact the RR winner is supposed to main event wrestlemania, not open the show. Rhodes/Mysterio would have been a much more suitable opener.

Moffo

Referee
Nice try Pete, how abt stripping out the core revenue from wrestling ppvs and ticket sales vs all the other revenue streams that they source income from

Big Pete

Referee
Why? We're purely talking about the WWE as a business and your accusations that they're going out of business when in fact they had their most profitible year.

Stripping it down would be missing the point.

EDIT: But hey if you want those facts, why don't you do your own research?

Last edited:
Whilst Wrestlemania does great numbers, pay per view buyrates are plummeting for pro wrestling. They blame the internet, as does HBO and Showtime for their plummeting boxing buy rates, but UFC somehow continues to break all sorts of records as far as PPV revenue goes. If anything, it shows why the current pro wrestling product does not encourage people to purchase PPV events. Whilst there is no doubt the WWE is doing fantastically outside of the States, which is something they traditionally always have done, their live tours and diverse marketing Stateside has improved dramatically, which really has been fantastic to see.

Product wise, however, they could be doing so much better. Its not about PG or non-PG. PG can be entertaining. Its just that the product is not creative. Im not getting into any "oh but TNA is worsererererererer" bullsh*t with this either, we are talking about the billion dollar corporation which could be making billions more had they had their sh*t at the frontline sorted.

Big Pete

Referee
Product wise, however, they could be doing so much better. Its not about PG or non-PG. PG can be entertaining. Its just that the product is not creative. Im not getting into any "oh but TNA is worsererererererer" bullsh*t with this either, we are talking about the billion dollar corporation which could be making billions more had they had their sh*t at the frontline sorted.

You won't hear that argument from me unless you want to bring TNA up and use it as an example like every poster wanted to before Hogan came in.

No arguments from me, the WWE could always be better but it's not as bad as what people make it out to be when they say it's the worst it's ever been.

RedVDave

First Grade
You won't hear that argument from me unless you want to bring TNA up and use it as an example like every poster wanted to before Hogan came in.

No arguments from me, the WWE could always be better but it's not as bad as what people make it out to be when they say it's the worst it's ever been.

Out of interest Pete when do you believe was the worst period of time in WWE/F? I personally believe it's at it's worst right now.

Latest posts