What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

Nutz

Bench
If you can affort it, $49.95 a season is pretty good for the NSWRL TV App as I'm told it is going to get even better as they iron out some probs.
I can't wait to watch our reserve graders play, especially this year with our halves trying to get an NRL gig.
I've only had it for one round and so far it's a thumbs up from me.

@RHYTHM AND STEALTH
@Tigerm
The Under-18s Laurie Daley Cup is NSW's regional representative competition, renamed after True Blue Laurie Daley in 2018.
The Western Rams used to be in Group 9, has it changed? I can't find anything on them now as it's all on flamin facebook crap which I'm not a member.
It was played at Kirkham Oval, Camden on the weekend I believe. Without knowing to much of the competition now I think it being regional would mean they go to the west country area because what I did find out they have several grounds at which they play....spreading the love.
It's exactly what is needed to keep our great game alive.

Guys I'm wondering why the True Blue Laurie Cup was renamed to the Laurie Daley Cup in 2018? Was it indigenous prob with the name?
I think it was because there were a few gap years where there was no competition.
Now its a great pathway for the Riverinas and down the South Coasts to name a couple of regions.
Western Rams are a Rep side consisting of players throughout that region. Same as Wests MacArthur as players are picked from Wests and Group 6 comps.

They play again at Kirkham Oval thtis Saturday along with the Andrew johns Cup team. Also Harold Matts are playing Melbourne Storm as well.

Good day for Footy, try and make it Nutz

Nutz

Bench
I think it was because there were a few gap years where there was no competition.
Now its a great pathway for the Riverinas and down the South Coasts to name a couple of regions.
Western Rams are a Rep side consisting of players throughout that region. Same as Wests MacArthur as players are picked from Wests and Group 6 comps.

They play again at Kirkham Oval thtis Saturday along with the Andrew johns Cup team. Also Harold Matts are playing Melbourne Storm as well.

Good day for Footy, try and make it Nutz
Cheers brother but I'm in Brisbane:)

So it's not the Camden Rams eh because their home ground is Kirkham Park...
It sorta makes sense now if it's a representative team. So I guess players from their district must trial to get a gig in the Western Rams team.
I couldn't find anything about them as it's all facebook stuff. Even the NSWRL website doesn't have a rundown of the team.

Cheers brother but I'm in Brisbane:)

So it's not the Camden Rams eh because their home ground is Kirkham Park...
It sorta makes sense now if it's a representative team. So I guess players from their district must trial to get a gig in the Western Rams team.
I couldn't find anything about them as it's all facebook stuff. Even the NSWRL website doesn't have a rundown of the team.
Yeah so it would of been the same process as out in Wests MacArthur.

At the end of the season a squad of up to 50 players throughout the District would of been selected to train over the summer.
A couple of players would of got cut after maybe 8 or 9 sessions.
They would of had in house trial games before Xmas then then a trial or 2 against another District after Xmas.
Then the final cuts would be made and a squad or around 24-27 players selected for the Rep campaign.

After the Reps have finished, players have to pass a medical before being release back to their clubs and then club footy starts.

Nutz

Bench
Yeah so it would of been the same process as out in Wests MacArthur.

At the end of the season a squad of up to 50 players throughout the District would of been selected to train over the summer.
A couple of players would of got cut after maybe 8 or 9 sessions.
They would of had in house trial games before Xmas then then a trial or 2 against another District after Xmas.
Then the final cuts would be made and a squad or around 24-27 players selected for the Rep campaign.

After the Reps have finished, players have to pass a medical before being release back to their clubs and then club footy starts.
Great stuff mate, thanks for your input.
Now that pathways and the girls are getting more media attention, I hope that the system will get better and as a result the quality of the football will improve too.
If expansion is going to continue, the NRL needs to have great pathway systems . This is my concern about heading to Perth as Rugby League is, and always has been an east coast sport. If expansion to Perth is to happen, it requires the league to keep producing quality players from established nurseries.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I'm impressed with Da Silva's impact on the weekend.
In the vid attached, at around the 9:00 min mark watch Da Silva's [N⁰9] running style.... pretty impressive for a hooker. His service out of dummy half was pretty slick too......happy days to come with this lad.

@RHYTHM AND STEALTH I'm pretty bullish on this Wests HM side brother. the backline, spine and back row looks first class. any insights?

Definatley top 4 on paper. Potentially top 2

The halves played Matts together last year so thats a massive advantage having that combo already. Add in Ali at #1 who played nearly every game last year in Matts and Makasini in the centres you have weapons with experiance.

In the forwards you have 2nd year players in Fui, Godinet and Taai who know whats needed at this level. Add in 2 bench players in Mailo and Havea Jr (both should be starting imo) you have some great kids getting some excellent exposure.

I'm impressed with Da Silva's impact on the weekend.
In the vid attached, at around the 9:00 min mark watch Da Silva's [N⁰9] running style.... pretty impressive for a hooker. His service out of dummy half was pretty slick too......happy days to come with this lad.
It really was Men against boys out there.
I think Wests had 4 players that are on development deals and trained the whole pre season with 1st grade.
Manly had 4 kids still at School.

Tallyn controlled the ruck and everything went through him.

Nutz

Bench
It really was Men against boys out there.
I think Wests had 4 players that are on development deals and trained the whole pre season with 1st grade.
Manly had 4 kids still at School.

Tallyn controlled the ruck and everything went through him.
Agree. Good training Gallop though :)

Tigerm

Coach
Solomone Saukuru
There is a podcast out on him, but I can’t get connect to it for some reason? I have with all the others.
Any way, he’s 19 on a development contract, plays all over the field, but wants to concentrate on center.
His dad is in his third year as coach of Wests SGBall team.
His motto: Hard work never lasts, only tough people last.

Nutz

Bench
Rd2 Laurie Dalry Cup
Fulltime Knights 28 v Tigers 16

Rd2 Andrew John Cup Fulltime
MWests Tigers 24 NCBulldogs 2

Last edited:

Tigerm

Coach
WT Pathways Results - Rd2:

#AndrewJohnsCup (u16)
MWT 24 Bulldogs 2

#LaurieDaleyCup (u18)
MWT 30 Bulldogs 16

#HMatts (u17)
Wests 44 Storm 22
Roosters 26 Balmain 6

#SGBall (u19)
Wests 24 Storm 24
Roosters 13 Balmain 12

Tigerm

Coach
I watched these games and it really is boys playing footy however the U16 Wests Tigers boys looked bigger than the U18. Go figure.
I used to be involved in junior footy, the U/16 games were great, the young fellas starting to show the aggression.
Multiple fights every game, the refs had a hard time hahaha

Nutz

Bench
Solomone Saukuru
There is a podcast out on him, but I can’t get connect to it for some reason? I have with all the others.
Any way, he’s 19 on a development contract, plays all over the field, but wants to concentrate on center.
His dad is in his third year as coach of Wests SGBall team.
His motto: Hard work never lasts, only tough people last.