What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WT’s Pathways

The Rosco

Bench
Good read again mate.
With the twins that weren't enjoying themselves . . . this is where it gets serious, I guess. You've seen it in footy, me in soccer. If they don't want the responsibility of doing the extra's, they inevitably fall by the wayside. Plenty of rep level teams have blokes that are more committed . . . and plenty of kids that are more talented simply don't have the drive to commit to the higher levels.
It's a shame, but life's like that.

Good read again mate.
With the twins that weren't enjoying themselves . . . this is where it gets serious, I guess. You've seen it in footy, me in soccer. If they don't want the responsibility of doing the extra's, they inevitably fall by the wayside. Plenty of rep level teams have blokes that are more committed . . . and plenty of kids that are more talented simply don't have the drive to commit to the higher levels.
It's a shame, but life's like that.
Plus Rosco, some kids would have the drive but they have their heart set on school and uni and see that as a 2nd to support their family.

With the twins as an example, the club needs to have a Pacific Islander on the payroll, doesn’t necessarily have to be Samoan or Fijian but someone who can relate to the kids, I don’t even mean a Benji, perhaps someone who eventually made it through hard work. Let the kids play for fun and perhaps one day one of them might decide that they will give it a go, nothing wrong with making it at 25 or 26.

Tigerm

First Grade
Plus Rosco, some kids would have the drive but they have their heart set on school and uni and see that as a 2nd to support their family.

With the twins as an example, the club needs to have a Pacific Islander on the payroll, doesn’t necessarily have to be Samoan or Fijian but someone who can relate to the kids, I don’t even mean a Benji, perhaps someone who eventually made it through hard work. Let the kids play for fun and perhaps one day one of them might decide that they will give it a go, nothing wrong with making it at 25 or 26.
Yes, I was involved with junior footy on the Central Coast for about 15 years, some kids excel at an early age, and some don't, then as they get older it can reverse, but remembering they are kids and too many parents are pushing them way too hard, they lose interest. There's no point in peaking at 12 years of age?

The Rosco

Bench
Yes, I was involved with junior footy on the Central Coast for about 15 years, some kids excel at an early age, and some don't, then as they get older it can reverse, but remembering they are kids and too many parents are pushing them way too hard, they lose interest. There's no point in peaking at 12 years of age?
Tigerm . . . in soccer, and I'd say in footy as well, there is a heap of parents . . . generally the dad wears polo, and mum with lips and tits full of fillers, struts around in Lorna Jane stretchwear that is screaming for mercy . . . that would strive to see lil Jaekc lift the u/12 trophy. What's the point in peaking at 15, when half the kids have left the sport. Who's gonna see lil poopsikins win games then ?
I guess that junior league also has "academies" ?
That's a whole 'nuther discussion.

100% mate in regards to the tigers getting a Pacific Islander on the payroll. Create a mentoring role. Someone who knows the Culture, who knows whats its like growing up in a Pacific Island home that usually has 1 Parent working and 1 staying home looking after all the kids or both Parents working and the older Siblings looking after the younger Siblings.

That mentor needs to interact with the Parents constantly as this opportunity for 1 of their kids will never happen again. I know at the Warriors they have a Junior Warrior house which houses 4-5 up and coming kids and are looked after by a Married couple who live their and do their cooking for them and making sure they get to training. Its not like the usual cooking its dietry cooking set up by the Warriors management to help improve their habits in eating which leads to better preperation which leads to better performance etc. Rubin Wiki used to visit the house 3 times a week to check up on them and had a checklist and if their rooms were untidy or study not competed or washing not folded it would result in penalties. His penalites were fitness punishment.

Im unsure if the Tigers have a Cubs house or something similar which would be ideal to get a couple of these Pacific Island kids in an enviroment where they would eat healthy meals with decent portions and have consistant sleep patterns.

FYI

There looks to be a trial between Magpies and Bulldogs in a couple of weeks for
Harold Matts
SG Ball
Tarsha Gale

I know after this trial the final cuts will be made for the Harold Matts team a they finalise their squad. Its really tough in that squad with a lot of competition. Im planning on going along for a look so more than happy to do a write up for you guys about some future names coming through

Tigerm

First Grade
FYI

Harold Matts
SG Ball
Tarsha Gale

I know after this trial the final cuts will be made for the Harold Matts team a they finalise their squad. Its really tough in that squad with a lot of competition. Im planning on going along for a look so more than happy to do a write up for you guys about some future names coming through
That would be great, cheers.

Vic Mackey

Referee
FYI

Harold Matts
SG Ball
Tarsha Gale

that would be awesome thank you. I believe the magpies have somehow kept every single player from their Matt’s squad who won the comp with most moving up to Ball next year.

I’d imagine this will mainly be trial players but any reports appreciated

Last edited:
that would be awesome thank you. I believe the magpies have somehow belt every single player from their Matt’s squad who won the comp with most moving up to Ball next year.

I’d imagine this will mainly be trial players but any reports appreciated

So over the last month there have been cuts made to the Harold Matts squad (i have some inside info with them) and after the trial on the 17th the final cuts will be made.

You are right, this will be trial players with a few of the contracted players not needing to suit up. The ones that have been cut from the Matts squad but are eligable for Andrew Johns Cup (U16s) are now in that squad.

Was watching the Tigers womans and Tarsha Gale teams train on Friday night. Womans team looked sharp and fit.
Tarsha Gale were horrendous. Lots of dropped ball and errors. They are a very young team and all but 2 are eligable to play again next year. Could be a long season for them

stryker

First Grade
But its not for all kids though. We had a couple of kids from our club actually in my Sons team make the Tigers 13s side this year. They are twins and young Samoan Boys. 1 is a prop and the other a centre. Both decent players who probably deserved their selection. I went along to one of their trainings and they were pretty demoralised. Wernt enjoying it and didnt seem happy. I went to 1 of their Tigers games and they both got decent minutes and opportunities but the effort wasnt there. I had a chat to them after and they said they were ok. I spoke to their older Sisters ( they come from a big family 9 kids and include 3 sets of twins) and the Sisters said they dont like it and want to quit. I get to their club trainings and they are full of smiles and doing their trick plays because they are comfortable in the enviroment they are in. They would rather play footy with their mates and hang out after training doing tiktoks than being in rep sides being pushed and pushed.

A lost opportunity but Like i said its not appealing for everyone
I dont mind this.
If these young fellas love playing the game but dont like the rep team stuff, it could prove a godsend.
I say this because Rugby League has become too structured, too regimented....resulting in a boring product.
Kids need to grow into themselves without adults pushing them in a certain direction. I dont like these pathways for 11-14 year olds. It is having a negative effect on the sport.
These two young blokes will go back to clubland and for the next 4 or 5 years and they will have fun, whilst honing and expanding their skills, whilst some of their contemporaries will be driven into the ground, getting brainwashed to all play exactly the same way. When their paths cross again, Ill bet the two guys who spent their adolesence enjoying the game and exploring all facets of how to gain advantages through playing free footy, learning how to control their own game and getting the best out of their abilities will stand out against the robots. It is at this time, they will decide if they are serious.
My nephew is a very good player who hates the drudgery of the rep scene and he has been told as a 14 year old that he has to make a decision over the school holidays as to whether he commits or just plays for the love of it.
The coach who told him this is a f**king deadshit and its people like him who are turning this game into the shitshow we've watched for the past couple of seasons.
So I dont see it as a lost opportunity...

The coach who told him this is a f**king deadshit and its people like him who are turning this game into the shitshow we've watched for the past couple of seasons.
Agree re your opinion of the coach stryker, unfortunately it's a results driven world that has crept down from the business world to kids sports - what a crock of, it's kids sport FFS.

Like you, I don't see it as a lost opportunity and I hope your nephew proves someone wrong.

Evening all

So Wests had 4 trial games on Saturday for their juniors and also 2 trial games for their womans team and i went along for a look. Ive missed footy especially juniors so i was pretty keen to get a glimpse of the future coming through.

1st up was the Tigers Womans team who had a mini tri series against North Sydney Bears 2x15 minute halves and against Wenty Magpies 2x15 minute halves. They smashed the Bears as the Tigers top 13 in my opinion started and were pretty ruthless. Last season the Tigers had 2 Jillaroos playing for them in Kezie Apps and Jess Surgis, and i was talking to the Tigers Manager last week and asked what are their plans and she said they cant sign with any team at the moment as they are waiting for the NRL and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Players association to be finalised so they can negotiate. I took that as those 2 are full time professionals??? Very interesting. Anyways there was nearly a big punch up in the Tigers v Bears game as a Bears player got up from a tackle and dropped a forearm on the Tigers Girl. The ref stopped play and there was about a 5 minute stoppage then the Wests Tigers Ground Manager was called onto the field to take photos of the Bears Ladies arm. The Tigers Girl had bitten her on the forearm. Anyways she stayed on and placed on report.

Next up were the Tarsha Gale Girls against Bulldogs. Bloody Hell they are in for a tough season. Horrible. No 1%ers, missed tackles no real structure. I was told out of the squad of about 24 Girls only 3 are not eligible for next year. So that will be good for 2024 but for 2023 they seem to be mud.

Next up were Harold Matts Magpies against Bulldogs. They played 2x 30 minute halves. The 1st 30 minutes was what i assume was the near full strength side, 2nd 30 looked like the back ups and it showed. So all up they had about 12 players that didnt have to play as they were in the squad from last year. Then they had 17 in the 1st 30 then about 14 new players in the 2nd 30. Bulldogs had a bigger sized pack but Magpies were just ferocious. I could not believe the speed that they played in that 1st 30. The forwards were getting to their feet quick and the hooker was firing bullets out to the halves who had multiple runners off them as options. Just watching 16 year olds react to a situation where you not only have your hooker noticing a quick play the ball is on but also having he halves and backrowers react that sharply as well to go with the play was awesum. Dogs couldnt stop it and when they did they were penalised for slowing the play which inturn gave away field position and they got fatigued. 4 tries were scored through the middle as a result of quick play the balls earlier in the set. 2nd 30 was completely different. All the fringe players i guess you could call them played and they lacked cohesion and sharpness. Still they scored a couple of tries through an intercept and a set move but the crispness had gone. The left side defence in the 2nd 30 mus mud. The Dogs had a big Fijian winger with KFC hands and they made 3 long range breaks down our left side and the 1st one the pass was high for him and it hit his hands and went out, 2nd line break he just dropped it and 3rd was a bit low and he spilled it again lol poor bugger. After that the Magpies made sum adjustments and plugged the gaps.

Ive said it earlier in another post and ive told it 1000 times to other people as well but ive watched a hell of a lot of junior footy back home in NZ and in here in Sydney but from what ive seen in the last 6 months and in yesterdays trial there is an amount of talent coming through that i have never seen before. I swear on my life with that statement. Magpies prop Chase Hepi was outstanding and only played about 15 minutes in the trial. Scored a try and made the advantage line every hitup. For a 16 year old his post contact metres are phenominal. Watched him a lot in the last 3 years and he just gets better and better. Ive seen opposite teams adjust their game plan just by where he is in the defensive line. Never seen a team kick off to his side of the field for him to take the 1st hitup. Thats how much of an impact he has. He never talks either, just a out and out footy player. Not your average prop that just goes up and makes a tackle then goes back to the D line like Tamou. He follows the play just in case he is needed to fill a gap. He trialled with the Dragons and made their Harold Matts team, was asked to trial for Bulldogs and was told he was a certainty and that he just had to take the field to be included but he turned that down as he was playing for the NSW Maori U17s against NSW Fijians the next day, He trialled and made Magpies as he is a local junior and believes in the vision the Tigers are taking.

Another standout was #7 Sonny Moeke Edwards. Kicked a booming 40/20 and always takes the line on. His option taking was perfect and just the speed in motion the whole team had made his job look real good. Left side 2nd rower Amazon Puuavase was another good trialist. He is coming up to his 3rd year in his Tigers contract and is developing nicely. Great foot work and short distance speed confused the Dogs when he had space. He actually played fullback for his club this year and can play in the halves as well as lock. Couple of years ago he was playing 2 years up so he coud play with his brother so his development is a lot more than most. The Magpies have this years U16 NSW spine. ANd Sonny wasnt in that team. SO they have really good depth in the halves. A couple of players that didnt play but to keep an eye on are Saint Fuatimau. A centre/winger/fullback. Currently out with a fractured jaw but 1 of if not the best tackle techniques i have seen. His older Brother Iverson plays for the Tigers reserve grade side and another older brother Compton plays for the Bulldogs Reserve grade side. Saint just folds players with bootlace tackles and rib shots. I have heard an expewrianced Coach say that good judges see so much in him that he will go further than his older brothers.

Another gun is lock forward Denzel Shauffhausen Mino. Unbelievable work rate and fitness levels have him making about 40-50 tackles nearly every club game and backing it up with 1 or 2 hitups per set. Has been in the Tigers set up a couple of seasons now after Parra didnt see much in him. This guy is like a fitter version of Bradley Clyde id say. I reckon he might end up at hooker later in his career.

As ive mentioned ive never seen talent like some of these kids coming through at the moment. The future is bright but we have to wait 5-6 seasons before they are ready for 1st grade and then another 3-4 for them to excell.

Ill write up the SG ball later in the week, off to bed lol

The Rosco

Bench
Evening all

So Wests had 4 trial games on Saturday for their juniors and also 2 trial games for their womans team and i went along for a look. Ive missed footy especially juniors so i was pretty keen to get a glimpse of the future coming through.

1st up was the Tigers Womans team who had a mini tri series against North Sydney Bears 2x15 minute halves and against Wenty Magpies 2x15 minute halves. They smashed the Bears as the Tigers top 13 in my opinion started and were pretty ruthless. Last season the Tigers had 2 Jillaroos playing for them in Kezie Apps and Jess Surgis, and i was talking to the Tigers Manager last week and asked what are their plans and she said they cant sign with any team at the moment as they are waiting for the NRL and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Players association to be finalised so they can negotiate. I took that as those 2 are full time professionals??? Very interesting. Anyways there was nearly a big punch up in the Tigers v Bears game as a Bears player got up from a tackle and dropped a forearm on the Tigers Girl. The ref stopped play and there was about a 5 minute stoppage then the Wests Tigers Ground Manager was called onto the field to take photos of the Bears Ladies arm. The Tigers Girl had bitten her on the forearm. Anyways she stayed on and placed on report.

Next up were the Tarsha Gale Girls against Bulldogs. Bloody Hell they are in for a tough season. Horrible. No 1%ers, missed tackles no real structure. I was told out of the squad of about 24 Girls only 3 are not eligible for next year. So that will be good for 2024 but for 2023 they seem to be mud.

Next up were Harold Matts Magpies against Bulldogs. They played 2x 30 minute halves. The 1st 30 minutes was what i assume was the near full strength side, 2nd 30 looked like the back ups and it showed. So all up they had about 12 players that didnt have to play as they were in the squad from last year. Then they had 17 in the 1st 30 then about 14 new players in the 2nd 30. Bulldogs had a bigger sized pack but Magpies were just ferocious. I could not believe the speed that they played in that 1st 30. The forwards were getting to their feet quick and the hooker was firing bullets out to the halves who had multiple runners off them as options. Just watching 16 year olds react to a situation where you not only have your hooker noticing a quick play the ball is on but also having he halves and backrowers react that sharply as well to go with the play was awesum. Dogs couldnt stop it and when they did they were penalised for slowing the play which inturn gave away field position and they got fatigued. 4 tries were scored through the middle as a result of quick play the balls earlier in the set. 2nd 30 was completely different. All the fringe players i guess you could call them played and they lacked cohesion and sharpness. Still they scored a couple of tries through an intercept and a set move but the crispness had gone. The left side defence in the 2nd 30 mus mud. The Dogs had a big Fijian winger with KFC hands and they made 3 long range breaks down our left side and the 1st one the pass was high for him and it hit his hands and went out, 2nd line break he just dropped it and 3rd was a bit low and he spilled it again lol poor bugger. After that the Magpies made sum adjustments and plugged the gaps.

Ive said it earlier in another post and ive told it 1000 times to other people as well but ive watched a hell of a lot of junior footy back home in NZ and in here in Sydney but from what ive seen in the last 6 months and in yesterdays trial there is an amount of talent coming through that i have never seen before. I swear on my life with that statement. Magpies prop Chase Hepi was outstanding and only played about 15 minutes in the trial. Scored a try and made the advantage line every hitup. For a 16 year old his post contact metres are phenominal. Watched him a lot in the last 3 years and he just gets better and better. Ive seen opposite teams adjust their game plan just by where he is in the defensive line. Never seen a team kick off to his side of the field for him to take the 1st hitup. Thats how much of an impact he has. He never talks either, just a out and out footy player. Not your average prop that just goes up and makes a tackle then goes back to the D line like Tamou. He follows the play just in case he is needed to fill a gap. He trialled with the Dragons and made their Harold Matts team, was asked to trial for Bulldogs and was told he was a certainty and that he just had to take the field to be included but he turned that down as he was playing for the NSW Maori U17s against NSW Fijians the next day, He trialled and made Magpies as he is a local junior and believes in the vision the Tigers are taking.

Another standout was #7 Sonny Moeke Edwards. Kicked a booming 40/20 and always takes the line on. His option taking was perfect and just the speed in motion the whole team had made his job look real good. Left side 2nd rower Amazon Puuavase was another good trialist. He is coming up to his 3rd year in his Tigers contract and is developing nicely. Great foot work and short distance speed confused the Dogs when he had space. He actually played fullback for his club this year and can play in the halves as well as lock. Couple of years ago he was playing 2 years up so he coud play with his brother so his development is a lot more than most. The Magpies have this years U16 NSW spine. ANd Sonny wasnt in that team. SO they have really good depth in the halves. A couple of players that didnt play but to keep an eye on are Saint Fuatimau. A centre/winger/fullback. Currently out with a fractured jaw but 1 of if not the best tackle techniques i have seen. His older Brother Iverson plays for the Tigers reserve grade side and another older brother Compton plays for the Bulldogs Reserve grade side. Saint just folds players with bootlace tackles and rib shots. I have heard an expewrianced Coach say that good judges see so much in him that he will go further than his older brothers.

Another gun is lock forward Denzel Shauffhausen Mino. Unbelievable work rate and fitness levels have him making about 40-50 tackles nearly every club game and backing it up with 1 or 2 hitups per set. Has been in the Tigers set up a couple of seasons now after Parra didnt see much in him. This guy is like a fitter version of Bradley Clyde id say. I reckon he might end up at hooker later in his career.

As ive mentioned ive never seen talent like some of these kids coming through at the moment. The future is bright but we have to wait 5-6 seasons before they are ready for 1st grade and then another 3-4 for them to excell.

Cheers mate . . . great report, thanks for taking the time to type.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Evening all

Nice one mate. Great to hear our juniors are killing it

Vic Mackey

Referee
Evening all

this is amazing mate thank you

Vic Mackey

Referee
100% mate in regards to the tigers getting a Pacific Islander on the payroll. Create a mentoring role. Someone who knows the Culture, who knows whats its like growing up in a Pacific Island home that usually has 1 Parent working and 1 staying home looking after all the kids or both Parents working and the older Siblings looking after the younger Siblings.

That mentor needs to interact with the Parents constantly as this opportunity for 1 of their kids will never happen again. I know at the Warriors they have a Junior Warrior house which houses 4-5 up and coming kids and are looked after by a Married couple who live their and do their cooking for them and making sure they get to training. Its not like the usual cooking its dietry cooking set up by the Warriors management to help improve their habits in eating which leads to better preperation which leads to better performance etc. Rubin Wiki used to visit the house 3 times a week to check up on them and had a checklist and if their rooms were untidy or study not competed or washing not folded it would result in penalties. His penalites were fitness punishment.

Im unsure if the Tigers have a Cubs house or something similar which would be ideal to get a couple of these Pacific Island kids in an enviroment where they would eat healthy meals with decent portions and have consistant sleep patterns.

we had Dene Halatau and then Joe Galuvso as Junior welfare officers. I’m unsure who is doing it atm but I agree having a Pacific Islander in this role is paramount.

I do think having Benji on the coaching staff is going to be a huge bonus for these things. You probably know this better than me but apparently the Roosters had all but signed Wests Boom halfback Onitoni Large. Benji then went and sat down with family at their home mapping out their pathway for him leaving them convinced to stay with the club. I have no doubts this time last year we lose the kid.

Latest posts