What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WTF happened in the rowing?

Suzie

Juniors
Booyah said:
Hmmm..

I just heard that apprently she was in the piss the night before, which explains why her teammates were so critical of her, and as to why they were saying " tell the truth Sally".
Well, if that is the truth, then she probably deserves all the slagging off. If not, then the others should keep quiet and let the coach/media liaisons deal with it.

stuke

Bench
from what i've saw of the press conference on the news....what a load of rubbish. if anyone is able to believe the rubbish that was trotted out, then more power to you as i couldn't stop shaking my head and laughing at what was coming out of their mouths.

i don't rate Sally at all....i believe she just gave up and let her team and country down....understandably her team is irate with her but have now been forced to trot out together and act like all is happy families because john coates doesn't like the image it presents.

it just makes the situation worse.

stuke

Bench
from what i've saw of the press conference on the news....what a load of rubbish. if anyone is able to believe the rubbish that was trotted out, then more power to you as i couldn't stop shaking my head and laughing at what was coming out of their mouths.

i don't rate Sally at all....i believe she just gave up and let her team and country down....understandably her team is irate with her but have now been forced to trot out together and act like all is happy families because john coates doesn't like the image it presents.

it just makes the situation worse.

Bomber

Bench
For f**ks sake, this sounds more and more like the Athens branch meeting of the international Babysitters book appreciation club.

'Sally and friends mates again' Aw shucks. :?

They look like they're going to embark on a shock and awe campaign of peace, love and happiness. Give me a fricken break. She had a moment of mental weakness in a final, which in all fairness should NEVER have been allowed to happen due to the mass imcompetence of the selectors. Now instead of leaving Athens with even the satisfaction of finishing the race as a team, our mighty womens eights will leave holding hands and skipping through the terminal, throwing frangipanis and preaching eternal love, happiness and forgiveness. :roll:

(And if you're wondering why I have the shits all of a sudden, look at the LOL @ Roosters thread!!!!!)

Sally and team 'mates' again
August 25, 2004
By Damian Barrett, Shaun Phillips and Bronwyn Hurrell

0,5001,373463,00.jpg

AUSTRALIA'S troubled women's rowing crew last night publicly welcomed back Sally Robbins, but it was an unconvincing display.

None of the rowers specifically stated they would row with her again.

In an extraordinary move designed to end the furore over Robbins's collapse during the Olympic final, the team faced the media to declare it had repaired relationships soured by criticism of the Canberra-based rower.

The team earlier met Australian chef de mission John Coates and athlete liaison officer, former Wallabies captain John Eales.

Seven rowers and cox Katie Foulkes fronted. Monique Heinke was absent because she had spent the previous night outside the Olympic village with her husband.

Coates said he had refrained from sanctioning Julia Wilson and Kyeema Doyle despite their breach of team protocol in criticising Robbins.

After the race, Wilson said: "There was nothing wrong with the boat, there was nothing wrong with the seven other girls around me. We had nine in the boat (including cox), but only eight operating."

Wilson said she regretted the comments.

"I was caught up in the moment and it was unfortunate I had Channel 7 come to me straight away without having time to get my thoughts on what had just happened," she said.

"I have unconditional trust (in Robbins). I have enjoyed working with you and the reason I was so emotional afterwards is because I admire the athlete you are and you are one of my best friends.

"My original reaction was disappointment and devastation, but we just move on."

Wilson said Robbins would still be a bridesmaid at her wedding.

Doyle twice avoided answering when asked if she would be happy rowing again with Robbins.

On Monday she had said: "I think we should be angry at coaches for not seeing this earlier on.

"We should be angry at selection processes and the hierarchy above this."

Yesterday, choking back tears, Doyle said she had a bitter taste in her mouth.

"I definitely will be back . . . I'm happy to represent Australia whether it's the single sculls, the quads, the eights," she said.

"I would do whatever it takes to get in that boat and take what I believe I've earned and I deserve."

Robbins admitted her actions in the final were not the first time she had stopped rowing in a race. "What happened out there on Sunday has happened to me before (in 2002)," she said.

"(But) as a group we came together and faced it like any other issue, and we have dealt with it as a group and have put in strategies and I have been to see sports psychologists and had numerous physiology tests," she said.

"It is important to say that part of it has been anxiety. Big race, the Olympic final.

"Any athlete's pinnacle of a career is to be in an Olympic final and anxiety definitely played a part."

Robbins admitted regaining the trust of the eights crew and other Australian rowers would be a difficult task.

"I think it will be a long process and I think that I will be back and I will be rowing with these girls again, eventually," Robbins said.

But Rachael Taylor, the Olympic medallist who revealed how Robbins had capitulated at the 2002 world championships, said crew members had not forgiven.

Taylor said she had received text messages from four crew members, who she said had been effectively gagged by the AOC.

"They're saying thank you for putting our point of view across," she said.

Taylor had slammed Robbins's selection.

"I don't think anyone would agree to jump in the boat with Sally again," she said yesterday.

The crew finished last in Sunday's final after Robbins stopped rowing about 650m from finish.

Robbins said medical tests since the final revealed possible causes for her stress during races.

"What has come about from (the testing) is they know I am a very physical athlete and I do build up lactic (acid) very quickly, and I think that is what has been conceded," Robbins said.

Swim star Ian Thorpe was sympathetic to Robbins yesterday - but Cathy Freeman wasn't.

"It's part of being in the Australian team . . . when you get up for a relay swim you will give your best," Thorpe said.

"If you have a disappointing performance you accept that as long as you were willing to give it your all."

Freeman was less forgiving. "From a distance, to give up is almost very un-Australian," she said.

Public sympathy for Robbins held sway, with 360 messages of support.

One read: "You pushed yourself to the limit, which is what the Olympics is all about."

Prime Minister John Howard urged unity. Opposition Leader Mark Latham called for understanding.

Coates defended Robbins's selection. "She was amongst the best performing through a very comprehensive selection process," he said.

Herald Sun

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
It (the interview) did looked to have been rehearsed.

On the TV this morning Sally Robbins said " I have seen a sports psychologist and a dietician, since the race"

hello, the race is over

shouldn't that have been before the race.

the also seems to be some conjecture over whether she actually passed out or not.

Suzie

Juniors
The whole women's 8 team should have been made to watch the beach volleyball - they could learn a thing or too about Olympic spirit and teamwork by watching Natalie Cook, with her injured shoulder playing on, and Nicole Sanderson supporting her partner 110%

shiznit

Coach
is it just me or are the Australian selectors the biggest idiots in the world?
she did it in the world champs?
that to me is a sign that she might do it again.
the writing was on the wall, there a bunch of idiots for picking her.
the funny thing for me is for all the money that the AIS put into there atheletes im sure they could have got an extra 600m out of her. :lol:

Latest posts