What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xbox One

Parra Pride

Coach
Official name, "Xbox One".

Think I would've just liked if they just went with "Xbox" better.

Console kind of looks like a foxtel box, DVD/BD player, or something similar.

xbox_one.jpg

xbox_one-2.jpg

Keeping the same controller, which is great since the 360 controllers are awesome.

Looks like full voice control, interesting to see how well that actually works though.

Skype built into the Xbox.

If this TV integration they're showing off actually works well it could solve the lost remote problem forever. :crazy:

Built in video recorder to capture game play, much like the PS4.

And we have our first Xbox One original game "Quantum Break", and it looks pretty damn good. Visually, at least.

There will apparently be 15 exclusives released in the first year, 8 of which are original IPs.

And we're back to television stuff... E3 better make up for this with pretty much 100% focus on the games.

Oh wait... Here's something about Halo.

Live action Halo TV series, which has some sort of involvement from Steven Spielberg, exclusively on Xbox One.

And they're finishing up with COD: Ghosts.

They apparently didn't want to do the same thing with this COD, it sure doesn't seem like it considering all the last games were practically the same.

COD bringing the massive innovations, now you can peak around corners!.......

The Xbox One is NOT always on.

Last edited:

MattYg1

Bench
I think I will reserve full judgement until after e3 BUT I am now really glad I chose sleep over getting up at 3am...

Jono078

Referee
Very poor conference.

What they showed looked pretty. But it was very American and TV focused.

EA can shove their CG videos too.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Was a pretty ordinary launch event that's for sure.

I like the look of the console, actually will integrate nicely with the look and feel of other devices in the entertainment unit. Couldn't care less about the TV functionality and it sure as hell won't become the goto 'media center' Microsoft and Sony have a long way to go before they're even remotely close to something like XBMC which has been in development for over a decade.

Will have to wait to see the games I guess... The new controller looks awesome though.

Danish

Referee
The TV experience looks pretty bloody awesome. Checking out the various galleries online I can see that the One comes with an HDMI input as well as output so I'm hoping that means I would be able to plug my foxtel IQ into the xbox and gain full control. If it turns out all that functionality can only be used with the stupid Foxtel Xbox subscription though I'll be mighty pissed.

While some probably didn't like the focus on the TV, media and other features outside of gaming, those were going to be the main selling point for me. I was really keen to get the kinect purely because I was hopingI'd be able to control my media content with gestures and voice.... and extremely let down when I plugged it in and found out that as soon as you enter the media app you have to go back to usiing the controller/remote. If this new set up means full gesture and voice control throughout all areas of the xbox One I'll buy it for sure.

Springs

First Grade
Not always on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But other than that, looks like Xbox: The Prequel. Not backwards compatible is annoying. I don't care too much for any of the TV stuff, I have TV for that.

Not happy about this requirement of Internet connection once a day to play which will probably stop me from buying this. Unfortunately the alternative in buying a PS4 is no better with them trying to kill the used games market.

Also sad that consoles are less about games and more about media. Probably time to build a PC now.

BranVan3000

Coach
The TV experience looks pretty bloody awesome. Checking out the various galleries online I can see that the One comes with an HDMI input as well as output so I'm hoping that means I would be able to plug my foxtel IQ into the xbox and gain full control. If it turns out all that functionality can only be used with the stupid Foxtel Xbox subscription though I'll be mighty pissed.

While some probably didn't like the focus on the TV, media and other features outside of gaming, those were going to be the main selling point for me. I was really keen to get the kinect purely because I was hopingI'd be able to control my media content with gestures and voice.... and extremely let down when I plugged it in and found out that as soon as you enter the media app you have to go back to usiing the controller/remote. If this new set up means full gesture and voice control throughout all areas of the xbox One I'll buy it for sure.
It does look cool but it should never have been a focus of this conference, they must have spent 45 minutes on TV stuff. What happened to being a game console?

Expecting it to be gimped for Australian audiences too

Springs

First Grade
Eh, apparently games come with a code and you have to install it. Apparently there is a fee if you want to play the game on another profile. Pretty much I can't borrow a mate's game for a week without paying.

LOL

EA removed online passes and now it's clear as f**king day why. They sign an exclusive partnership with Microsoft and low and behold you need to connect your Xbox One to the Internet once a day to use it and if you buy a used game, borrow a game off a mate or even use a game you buy on a second profile you have to pay to access it :lol:

Sorry but there is no way anyone could possibly buy an Xbox one knowing that after you have overpaid for a game that you still have no rights to the product despite it being yours. If you do you're a sucker, straight up.

Apparently it's the same for movies as well :lol:

This is the path gaming has home down. Bring on the crash the industry needs it.

BranVan3000

Coach
LOL

EA removed online passes and now it's clear as f**king day why. They sign an exclusive partnership with Microsoft and low and behold you need to connect your Xbox One to the Internet once a day to use it and if you buy a used game, borrow a game off a mate or even use a game you buy on a second profile you have to pay to access it :lol:

Sorry but there is no way anyone could possibly buy an Xbox one knowing that after you have overpaid for a game that you still have no rights to the product despite it being yours. If you do you're a sucker, straight up.

Apparently it's the same for movies as well :lol:

This is the path gaming has home down. Bring on the crash the industry needs it.

That is f**ked

Fortunately Sony don't seem to be doing that. But maybe they will change their tune if developers and publishers are twisting their arm

Springs

First Grade
Headline: NOT ALWAYS ON*

*Must be online to activate game, must be online once every 24 hours to update, if you lose your connection for more than 24 hours you cannot play your games.

:lol:

Sums it up perfectly.

That is f**ked

Fortunately Sony don't seem to be doing that. But maybe they will change their tune if developers and publishers are twisting their arm

Sony have said a definitive no however I'm still uneasy. The rumours about always online, used games etc have changed in recent months with them.

Don't forget the CoD dog as well LOL wtf is that about anyway

MattYg1

Bench
Still going to wait till e3... what was it 8 new exclusive IP's... obviously they will be announced at e3...

As much as everything is made of the features and connectivity and social side of things to me and to most gamers its really like what David Jaffe said on the Bonus Round last week its all about the games...

Not at all disappointed with todays reveal because honestly I saw this coming from Microsoft...

afinalsin666

First Grade
Jesus, they're really going for no used games? I would lay money that every EB and Gamestop employee will be driving that fact down every customers throat.

"Hi, i'm after the new xbox?"

"Oh, yeah, we COULD get you one, but you have to be 100% sure, we won't take it back. And you can't buy used, cheaper games for it, and we won't allow you to trade games in, so if you pick a shit game, you have to keep it. No one will buy it off you, and no one will recompensate you for your dodgy purchase, so try not to pick a game like Aliens: Colonial Marines. You also have to connect it to the internet everyday, or it will not work. Moving house, and don't have the internet for a month? No console for you. Also, if your xbox fries, as the 360 did many times, there is a strong chance you will have to pay a fee to access your games on another console while you wait 8 weeks for Microsoft to fix their problem. So, that will be $699."

"Uh, on second thoughts, i'll just grab a PS4."

"Thought you might."

Damn it, i was so loyal to these f**king pricks. I have bought 7 360's in my time. f**king 7! And this is what they do to me? I paid more on brand new f**king consoles than i ever did on games, new or used. More money in their pockets, because they have about 4 exclusives. f**k em, i got my PC, and will be laughing the whole time this Hindenburg collapses.