What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xerri test sample B

MilkShark

First Grade
I'm mates with a guy that is on the coaching staff in the junior sharks reps teams, he had this to say:

''I have been on the coaching staff in the sharks systems (have had Bronson in my teams). I can guarantee you the sharks could not have done more in regards to education and support in this area. It is drilled into them from the moment the get into the club. They are event randomly tested at training from a young age. They have tools and access to information to make sure they don't take the wrong supplements.''

Doesn't mean much but thought you guys might like to read it.

Weaponhead

Coach
I'm mates with a guy that is on the coaching staff in the junior sharks reps teams, he had this to say:

''I have been on the coaching staff in the sharks systems (have had Bronson in my teams). I can guarantee you the sharks could not have done more in regards to education and support in this area. It is drilled into them from the moment the get into the club. They are event randomly tested at training from a young age. They have tools and access to information to make sure they don't take the wrong supplements.''

Doesn't mean much but thought you guys might like to read it.
It's not an education issue, it's a character issue

carcharias

Immortal
It's not an education issue, it's a character issue

I know 2 of his ex school teachers
You might be into something here.
I was told at least 2 years ago he was going to be trouble.
I’m talking the worst kind of ego and behaviour because he was going to be a footy star.
Same people taught the Braileys and could not have given a more glowing report.
Family and brothers both great
Xerri exact opposite.

carcharias

Immortal
What’s the bet the club sent him to get the op and now he blames the club.
It happened in hospital.

Eion

First Grade
And another thing. If the allegations are true. This is 6 months that xerri potentially influences a bunch of his younger teammates. “Hey look guys, I took this crap, got tested and nothing happened?” Where’s the duty of care

PJ

First Grade
I know 2 of his ex school teachers
You might be into something here.
I was told at least 2 years ago he was going to be trouble.
I’m talking the worst kind of ego and behaviour because he was going to be a footy star.
Same people taught the Braileys and could not have given a more glowing report.
Family and brothers both great
Xerri exact opposite.

Heard similar from someone who went to school with them, with one tale in particular (if true) more than a little disturbing.

I still can't get over the whole 6 month thing and if I was the NRL would really be hammering this with ASADA.

Imagine if he was tested now, results come out after the GF and say we won, the whole comp is meaningless.

As I said before I know a little about this stuff, and it should be 1-2 weeks. Testing is not that complex and a lot of it is semi automated so it can run unattended and overnight.

Call me a geniused Ops guy but this delay is easy to investigate.
ASADA are claiming slow turnaround due to Xmas, rolling into the bushfires, rolling into COVID. I'm assuming this means they had less staff to process tests etc etc
So, ASADA provide your average test processing times prior to November and then report on the same measure for November, December and January and February and March and April and most of May. If their reasoning is true there should be a marked increase in test processing times over the period in question.
You would also have to look at number of tests submitted and look for a spike to make sure a backlog was not created.
If there is no spike and no marked change in test processing times then they are full of shit. Numbers don't lie.

Quicksilver

Bench
ASADA are claiming slow turnaround due to Xmas, rolling into the bushfires, rolling into COVID. I'm assuming this means they had less staff to process tests etc etc
So, ASADA provide your average test processing times prior to November and then report on the same measure for November, December and January and February and March and April and most of May. If their reasoning is true there should be a marked increase in test processing times over the period in question.
You would also have to look at number of tests submitted and look for a spike to make sure a backlog was not created.
If there is no spike and no marked change in test processing times then they are full of shit. Numbers don't lie.

Yes, it would be easy to carry out an audit on whether the process and excuses are legitimate.

But I doubt anyone with the power to do that really cares.

Reactions: PJ

SBD82

Coach
If I worked for ASADA and found that Xerri’s test was positive, I’d give myself as long as possible to continue testing everyone that has anything to do with him. That’d include the entire Sharks squad, Kyle Flanagan, and any other know associates or former teammates from the club.

I don’t think I’d have the choice to let him play though. That would be seen as being negligent. I’m speculating g of course, but this scenario makes a lot of sense to me with respect to the timing.

PJ

First Grade

I don't buy it personally, especially having visited the building that houses the labs (though not that specific lab) in November, December and January.

There was some disruption but not a huge amount, and the test is largely automated. Sample prep is done largely by a robot system I think and then load the sample vials onto a GC/MS which is mostly automated.

Should really be done in a day.

6 months just seems way too long.

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Xerri 'devastated' over failed ASADA drugs test
Author
Dan WalshNRL.com
Wed 27 May 2020, 03:01 PM
Cronulla centre Bronson Xerri is "devastated" after being told he had tested positive to performance-enhancing drugs.

The 19-year-old Shark issued a statement via his agent, Titan Management's David Riolo, on Wednesday, 24 hours after being informed he had been provisionally suspended under the NRL's Anti-Doping Policy.

"I’m devastated but I’m bound by the system so there is not much more I can say at this stage," he said.

"There is a process in place that I am required to follow.

"I’m shattered I’m not playing with the boys this weekend and I wish them all the best for Saturday."

Xerri had been set to make his comeback from a shoulder injury for Cronulla in Saturday's Bankwest Stadium clash with the Wests Tigers in the first round of the restarted NRL season.

He is facing a possible multi-year suspension after he was alleged to have tested positive to several banned performance-enhancing substances, including steroids, late last year.

Xerri was provisionally suspended under the NRL's Anti-Doping Policy on Tuesday, just hours before he was to be named for a return from injury for the Sharks against Wests Tigers in round three.

He will now have the opportunity to have his B-sample analysed by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, and is unable to play any form of rugby league while provisionally suspended.

An NRL statement confirmed Xerri is alleged to have returned a positive A-sample "for exogenous Testosterone, Androsterone, Etiocholanolone and 5b-androstane-3a,17b-diol" when tested on November 25, 2019.

Several of the substances are anabolic steroids, or compounds that are tested to detect the use of steroids.

All are prohibited under both the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the NRL's Anti-Doping Policy, with the testing conducted last year by ASADA.

At the time of his positive test the 19-year-old was recovering from off-season shoulder surgery following an impressive rookie season for the Sharks.

Xerri also underwent a minor operation for a groin injury over the summer, but it was the rehabilitation of his shoulder that held him back from Cronulla's first two games of 2020 before the COVID-19 shutdown.

A Sharks statement said the "club has been in contact with Bronson and has offered him full welfare support as he deals with this situation".