What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Young Players...

CrazyEel

Bench
The Colonel said:
Remember with all that has gone on the lack of confidnece in first grade won't have helped our youngsters settle. With luck Hagan may change that attitude in these kids and our senior players by letting them relax and play football.
My thoughts exactly. All we need is Cannings (if he stays) and Tsoulous to have a reasonable injury free season (surely their luck is due for a change) and we are not too badly off. It's certainly not all doom and gloom.

The Colonel said:
Myles has also benefited from coming into a club where he didn't have to prop up the clubs hopes and could work his way into grade. Throw a few of our young forwards in over at the Dogs alongside O'Meley, Mason and Ryan and I can guarantee we'd be wanting them back quicksmart.

Remember with all that has gone on the lack of confidnece in first grade won't have helped our youngsters settle. With luck Hagan may change that attitude in these kids and our senior players by letting them relax and play football.

Yes play a natural game. Thats why I hope the likes of Feleti Mateo Stays as Hagan could bring the mest out of him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
<UPtheEELS> said:
probably the reason our junior forwards have looked inept. Being paired with an already struggling pack isnt easy.

That could be it.

Maybe it's because I played as a prop...But I can't for the life of me fathom what is so hard about playing like a forward SHOULD.

Look at Fui - not a huge man. But he plays like one. Hindy is much the same.

And yet Vella and co.....Damn...:(

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can I ask...what is the fascination with Cannings?

Since he's been here, his best games have been against Souths...

CrazyEel

Bench
Eelementary said:
That could be it.

Maybe it's because I played as a prop...But I can't for the life of me fathom what is so hard about playing like a forward SHOULD.

Look at Fui - not a huge man. But he plays like one. Hindy is much the same.

And yet Vella and co.....Damn...:(
LOL, well you kinda get smashed up a little more playing prop in the NRL, nothing really hard about it as long as you've got the guts which not all do.

CrazyEel

Bench
Eelementary said:
Can I ask...what is the fascination with Cannings?

Since he's been here, his best games have been against Souths...
Cannings has had a dreadfull run with injury with us but has great potential. He is a little too passive, as is Tsoulous, but has size, guts, great speed and is a very good ball player in the Beetson mould. I hope he stays as I believe he will be very effective under Hagan because he will be allowed to play his own game without being restricted. Just my opinion.

Eelementary

Post Whore
CrazyEel said:
LOL, well you kinda get smashed up a little more playing prop in the NRL, nothing really hard about it as long as you've got the guts which not all do.

I don't mean to compare myself to elite NRL athletes, though.

But the concept is the same - if you're going to play in the front row...FFS run the ball with some oomph!

Eelementary

Post Whore
CrazyEel said:
Cannings has had a dreadfull run with injury with us but has great potential. He is a little too passive, as is Tsoulous, but has size, guts, great speed and is a very good ball player in the Beetson mould. I hope he stays as I believe he will be very effective under Hagan because he will be allowed to play his own game without being restricted. Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong - I see he has POTENTIAL, and heaps of it. He just, as yet, hasn't lived up to it.

parra pete

Referee
I watched a kid play fullback in the IRB Junior World Cup for the Junior All Blacks..His name is Tana Puki...Fair dinkum he is sensational...The closest thing I've seen to Matty Bowen.
I wrote to Rod Reddy about him...but never got a reply..maybe he too saw the game and never rated him. :lol: - or maybe the kid has been signed by a Super 14 Club...

Y2Eel

First Grade
parra pete said:
I watched a kid play fullback in the IRB Junior World Cup for the Junior All Blacks..His name is Tana Puki...Fair dinkum he is sensational...The closest thing I've seen to Matty Bowen.
I wrote to Rod Reddy about him...but never got a reply..maybe he too saw the game and never rated him. :lol: - or maybe the kid has been signed by a Super 14 Club...

geez if they dont sign up anyone good this year maybe they should get you out their as a scout....

CrazyEel

Bench
Eelementary said:
I don't mean to compare myself to elite NRL athletes, though.

But the concept is the same - if you're going to play in the front row...FFS run the ball with some oomph!
No I wasn't saying you were comparing yourself.
I was just stating that while the principle is simple, run the ball with some oomph, you need guts to get smashed all the time as they do in the NRL. Fui's a great example, no frills, just run hard, get smashed, then get up and do it all over again, nothing hard about it apart from the fact you know your going to get smashed, some can handle it some can't, Fui v Vella

Hurriflatch

Referee
Eele: Yes Fui has been our best this year but I'll need to see him go the rest of the year in the same kinda form and avoid suspension before he even gets close to be a CONSISTANTLY good forward

lucablight

First Grade
If you're going to sign mediocrity it's better just to save your cash and put your faith in the juniors. At least that way you won't feel as bad if the team doesn't go so well and you'll have cash to spend for the year after. I hope our next signings aren't the next Kativeratas, Pearsons, Muspratts, Muckerts etc

Eelementary

Post Whore
Good point, Hurri.

And I didn't say you were saying I was comparing myself to NRL First Grade players lol. I was just saying that I don't mean to compare myself to them. Obviously, First Grade NRL is 1 million times tougher than any footy I've played, but the concepts are the same.

And on Fui, this experiment of starting him has its advantages (namely, we get a good roll-on earlier) but I still think he's an invaluable bench player.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
I'm sorry if I sound negative but seeing Widders, Morrison, Morris, McKinnon etc go and replaced by players who are solid 1st graders at best doesn't instill me with much confidence.

Don't you contradict yourself there? The players you mentioned are solid first graders themselves.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
lucablight said:
If you're going to sign mediocrity it's better just to save your cash and put your faith in the juniors. At least that way you won't feel as bad if the team doesn't go so well and you'll have cash to spend for the year after. I hope our next signings aren't the next Kativeratas, Pearsons, Muspratts, Muckerts etc

The way the cap is setup you have a min to spend on your top tier playes (3.1mill currently but will increase to 3.3 apperantly when new cap is introduced for next season) and what ever you save doesn't become avaliable for the season afterwards.

Freak2

Juniors
Mighty Tiger said:
The way the cap is setup you have a min to spend on your top tier playes (3.1mill currently but will increase to 3.3 apperantly when new cap is introduced for next season) and what ever you save doesn't become avaliable for the season afterwards.

True: But you can pay players higher in one year and not as much in the next year and therefore creating additional money to spend on others!;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
Freak2 said:
True: But you can pay players higher in one year and not as much in the next year and therefore creating additional money to spend on others!;-)

like what Moanly have apparently done with Orford?

Latest posts