What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Favourite Queensland Dragons

Tim Smith

Juniors
Last weekend I was watching the Queensland Cup and at half time they showed highlights of the Brisbane Grand Final from 1987. Through the highlights I saw three ex Dragons playing for Brothers in Mark Coyne, Clinton Mohr and Peter Gill. It got me wondering who my favourite Dragons player from north of the border had been over the years...there have been plenty. My favourites have been

1. Rod Reddy...Rocket was aggresive, dynamic with a great off load...he created havoc in 1977 GF replay
2. Mark Coyne...A great clubman with speed and an elusive side step
3. Darius Boyd...A champion player in our great backline
4. Mitch Brennan...Speedy winger from our 1979 Grand Final winning team.
5. Graham Quinn...Ever reliable centre from our '77 and '79 teams

ShaiGuY

First Grade
Rocket Reddy is always controversial - same with Tallis. Coyne is definitely up there. Barto would also be up there with him. Also there's Archie brunker who played for QLD before he was at St George. Oh of course Dell.

dubopov

Coach
1. John Wittenberg
2. Elton Rasmussen
3. Graham Quinn
4. Rod Reddy
5. Mark Coyne
6. Any not mentioned who played for Brothers at some stage

Father Ted

First Grade
Mark and Peter Coyne, John Wittenberg ,Elton Rasmussen , Darius Boyd , Barto and Quinnie .
Not Reddy or Tallis they walked out in our hour of need and for mine they can keep walking

Tim Smith

Juniors
I don't know all the ins and outs of it but Reddy played for us for 12 years and 200 games...i thought he was probably tapped on the shoulder to make way for younger players coming through the production line...he went down to play two years at the Steelers...anyway I loved watching him play and was devestated when he left. I left Tallis out because he dudded us.

Rocket

Juniors
As per my forum name, I've a soft spot for Reddy because it was him who got me hooked on the Dragons. My parents were good friends with some of the Reddy family and as a young lad in the 70s I got to meet the man on a few occasions. larger than life with a mo to match! Controversial later but my memories of the man are all good.

But my favourite is easily Mark Coyne. Played for my Brisbane team, Brothers, and that 1987 grand final was the last one before the Broncos joined in 1988 and the game went national. So same for me as dubopov, any former Brothers players (and there were a lot!).

W.Smith

Juniors
1. John Wittenberg
2. Elton Rasmussen
3. Graham Quinn
4. Rod Reddy
5. Mark Coyne
6. Any not mentioned who played for Brothers at some stage

Brothers captain that day in the BRL 87 GF Trevor Bailey played for us 88 - 90

Wally Fullerton - Smith was another Qlder from Redcliffe was a 6 yearer at Saints too

I thought Brothers prop Scott Carter had a couple years with Saints also

as much as i luvd Reddy, Coyne, Wally, Quinn, Tallis and Darius, Wayne Bartrim was always a fave Dragon of mine too

Last edited:

boxa777

Coach
Coyne would have been right up there but since he has retired I have played against him a few times at Oztag and he is a spoilt brat on the field. Forever whingeing, cheap little shoulder charges. We ended up sledging him deluxe after that haha.

Favourite has to be Barto. Loved him as a player Wayne Bartrim. Bigger hips than Oprah but had speed to burn for a backrower and rarely took a backward step.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
No doubt. Rocket was my No1 Hero along side Brocky growing up.
But as a person who conducted himself over and above was Mark Coyne.
It was a privilege to see him captain our side.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Coyne would have been right up there but since he has retired I have played against him a few times at Oztag and he is a spoilt brat on the field. Forever whingeing, cheap little shoulder charges. We ended up sledging him deluxe after that haha.

Favourite has to be Barto. Loved him as a player Wayne Bartrim. Bigger hips than Oprah but had speed to burn for a backrower and rarely took a backward step.

You play Oz tag against the great man?!

Where so I can join up

Latest posts