What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your greatest Parramatta 17

parra pete

Referee
newmanj said:
1. Ken Thornett (Never saw him, but must have been awesome)
2. Jarryd Hayne (On current and future performances)
3. Mick Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Eric Grothe
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Nathan Cayless
9. PJ Marsh
10. Dean Pay
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Peter Wynn
13. Ray Price

14. Jason Smith
15. Kris Inu (as per Hayne)
16. Jamie Lyon
17. John Muggleton (at his best)

Hard to leave out players of the calibre of Paul Taylor, Timana Tahu, Ron Hilditch, Jim Dymock, Jarrod McCracken, FuiFui, JT, Ray Higgs, Steve Edge. Then there is the players i never saw, like Ron Lynch, Dick Thornett, Barry Rushworth. The list goes on....

What a great club, it has been fantastic to support this team for the last 40 years. (just turned 40!)

Jason.. Ken Thornett is my FAVOURITE Parramatta player of ALL TIME..An absolute legend. He was the one who 'awakened the giant' when he joined the Club midway through 1962.
The Mayor...great player, great memories. Following Parra in the late 50s and early sixties was hard - but blokes like Grumpy Hambly, Ron Lynch, Ken and Dick Thornett, Barry Rushworth, Noel Dalton, Billy Rayner, Leo Toohey, Billy McCall, Ken Foord, and Mike Jackson made it worthwhile. Every win was savoured, and when the third grade won the competition in 1964..the Club was on its way...

Eelementary

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
I know these things are subjective and controversial but there are already two threads which include Jason Taylor in the best ever Parramatta team? One as starting halfback?

Yeah, I know. But because I can monly go so far back, I really struggled to find an impact bench player, and Taylor probably fitted the mould.

As for the rules...For the sake of simplicity, you decide - because if you wish to have a pack of forwards that would dominate in the scrum, someone like Nathan Hindmarsh probably wouldn't get a mentiomn, whilst if you wished to have a pack of forwards that worked well under the 10 metre rule, someone like O'Reilly may not get a mention.

Mind you, I know the topic itself is a difficult one to actually discuss. But my hope was to see the variety and differences in eras that we could get.

Gronk

Staff member
I used to love Phil Mann as a kid. He seemed really tall to me as a little tyke. Does anyone know how tall he actually was ?

Avenger

Immortal
Players that I have seen play, ie since about 1976.

1. Paul Taylor (most underrated eel of all time)

2. Jarryd Hayne (Currently the best winger in the world)

3. Mick Cronin

4. Steve Ella

5. Eric Grothe Sr

6. Brett Kenny

7. Peter Sterling

8. Ron Hilditch

9. Steve Edge

10. Dean Pay

11. Nathan Hindmarsh

12. Peter Wynn

13. Ray Price ( The greatest Eel of all)

14. Jason Smith (Our first superstar since the golden generation)

15. Bob O'Reilly (Our first junior Australian rep)

16. Timana Tahu (the most naturally gifted player I have seen in many years)

17. Nathan Cayless

fish eel

Immortal
OK....this is my best ever eels side...noted it's just from what I've seen.

Paul Taylor
Eric Grothe Snr
Michael Cronin
Steve Ella
Timana Tahu
Brett Kenny
Peter Sterling
Ray Price
Nathan Hindmarsh
Jason Smith
Bob O'Reilly
Michael Mosley (86 form unlucky to Miss roo tour IMO)
Dean Pay

Jim Dymock
Nathan Cayless
Peter Wynn
Steve Sharp

yy_cheng

Coach
Also from what I've seen since '77

1. Brett Hodgson - 2001 form
2. Timana Tahu
3. Mick Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Eric Grothe Sr
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Bob O'Reilly
9. Steve Edge
10. Dean Pay
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Jason Smith
13. Ray Price

14. Jimmy Dymock
15. Paul Mares
16. Geoff Bugden
17. Peter Wynn

Bigfella

Coach
My personal feeling, when you are naming a "best of" side is that you should be restricted to choosing players who played more than half of their first grade career for the club.

This would make candidates such as Beetson, Smith J, Dymock, Pay, McCracken, Tahu, Taylor et al ineligible.

carson

Juniors
ken thornett
neil hunt
steve ella
mick cronin
eric grothe snr
brett kenny
peter sterling
bob o'reilly
steve edge
graham olling
nathan hindmarsh
geoff gerard
ray price

reserves
paul taylor
jason smith
dean pay
ron hilditch

shaun

Juniors
1. Paul Taylor
2. Eric Grothe Snr
3. Mick Cronin
4. Steve Ella
5. Jarrod Hayne
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Paul Mares
9. Steve Edge
10. Dean Pay
11.Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Bob Linder
13. Ray Price

14. Jason Smith
15.Jim Dymock
16. Peter Wynn
17. Nathan Cayless

Special mentions to some fav of mine- David Woods, Mark Laurie, Michael Mosely, Geoff Bugden, Mick Delroy

Tyler Durden

Juniors
you could actually plonk together a team of award winners (rothmans, dally m, churchill, provan summons,,,) that have worn the blue and gold....

1. gary freeman
2. mike eden
3. mick cronin
4. jim dymock
5. adam dykes
6. jason taylor
7. peter sterling
13. ray price
12. paul dunn
11. nathan hindmarsh
10. ray higgs
9. paul green
8. geoff bugden

Bazal

Post Whore
Players I've seen....I saw Kenny and Sterlo at the very end so I haven't included them either. I also haven't included Lyon because greats need to be at least jovial towards the club IMO. I saw from 1991-2001 sporadically due to moving around, and then every game 2001-now.

1-Brett Hodgson
2-Jarryd Hayne
3-Michael Buettner
4-Timana Tahu
5-Luke Burt
6-Jason Smith
7-Jason Taylor
8-Dean Pay
9-PJ Marsh
10-Nathan Cayless
11-Nathan Hindmarsh
12-Paul Dunn
13-Jim Dymock

14-Dean Widders
15-David Solomona
16-Fui Fui Moi Moi
17-Ian Hindmarsh

eels_fan_01

Bench
Bazal said:
3-Michael Buettner

I forgot about Buettner, far out he had a awesome year in 2001, i just remember him running wholes and looking for people to offload to him in nearly every tackle.

To me he was pretty ordinary in the later stages though mostly for Tigers.

Bazal

Post Whore
eels_fan_01 said:
I forgot about Buettner, far out he had a awesome year in 2001, i just remember him running wholes and looking for people to offload to him in nearly every tackle.

To me he was pretty ordinary in the later stages though mostly for Tigers.

He was great for us, he was fading fast at the Tigers and nowhere near the player he was for us...but 2001 especially he was just awesome. Certainly one of the better centres I saw play in blue and gold

Ron Jeremy

Coach
1. Jarrad Hayne
2. Eric Grothe snr
3. Cronin
4. Tahu
5. Hunt
6. Kenny
7. Sterling
8. Beetson
9. pj
10. pay
11.N Hindmarsh
12. Wynn
13. Price

14. Solomona ( what a special player this guy was for us)
15. J Smith ( amazing)
16. Ella
17. Moi Moi

That is mine for now.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
i dont know how anyone could put mosely in front of PJ? MM was a ordinary hooker like most 80's hookers who didn't have a tenth of the ability as PJ. Mosely was a reserve grader in the late 80's behind Mark Bugden and Mark Barnes, says it all.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ron Jeremy said:
i dont know how anyone could put mosely in front of PJ? MM was a ordinary hooker like most 80's hookers who didn't have a tenth of the ability as PJ. Mosely was a reserve grader in the late 80's behind Mark Bugden and Mark Barnes, says it all.

completely different era, different role, different hooker..Mosely played for 80 minutes on most occasions in a defence oriented era where with Taylor continuelly topped tackle counts, he was also channel 10's man of the match in the 86 GF.

a true clubman and worthy of a nomination.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eelavation said:
completely different era, different role, different hooker..Mosely played for 80 minutes on most occasions in a defence oriented era where with Taylor continuelly topped tackle counts, he was also channel 10's man of the match in the 86 GF.

a true clubman and worthy of a nomination.

80 minutes under the 5 metre rule isn't worth a pinch of sh*t compared to today eela;-)

Regardless, who has more ability? MM was no different then a Peter McPhail, could make alot of tackles but wouldn't know what attack is.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
80 minutes under the 5 metre rule isn't worth a pinch of sh*t compared to today eela;-)

Regardless, who has more ability? MM was no different then a Peter McPhail, could make alot of tackles but wouldn't know what attack is.

<sarcasm> Sounds a lot like one Nathan Hindmarsh to me....</sarcasm>

:sarcasm:

Latest posts