What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NSW team for SOO 1

Joely01

Bench
These are teams we would pick not necessarily teams we think the selectors would pick. I would never, ever pick Lyon but I have no doubt he will be picked. I also doubt Soward and Snowden would be picked too. And I was mulling over Burt cause he is currently the smartest winger in the game ... and smart wingers rock :cool:
I second this, Lyon is a waste of time and space.

To all those who have picked Burt, he will always be seen by selectors as to:
  • small
  • slow
  • defensively weak
  • old
  • boring
small maybe, slow he is not, d weak only when left left 1 on 2, he isn't that old chicka ferguson was way older when he played origin, he is not boring did you watch the Dogs game last week?
NSW could do a lot worse than L. Burt.

Eelementary

Post Whore
  • small
  • slow
  • defensively weak
  • old
  • boring

If Boring El Mattress made it for NSW, then Burt, being three times the player he ever was, should get a run.

natheel

Coach
  • small
  • slow
  • defensively weak
  • old
  • boring

he may be too small but hodgson defied that logic in 02 when he was picked, slow....haha no way is he slow, defensivly weak? mate even the commentators like freddy who has played against burt compliment him on his defense and the best gauge on those types of things imo is from ex and current players who have played against him or with him. he rarely gets caugh out hence why they all go down grothes wing usually. old...so what. boring???? ok i cant see anyone calling him boring especially since he's started to put little kicks in and showing his confidence out on the field thats for sure

lingard

Coach
my team?

1. hayne
2. minichello
3. tahu
4. morris
5. morris
6. carney (k)
7. pearce (he'll be right)
8. white
9. farah
10.weyman
11.gallen
12.hindmarsh (c)
13.bird

14. TLL
15. mannah
16. watmough
17. lewis

I like the idea of having both the Morris boys in the team, too. But I think we need Lyons in the centres; so maybe Tahu to the wing in place of Minichiello, and that`s as good a back-line as any. (I think the selectors will stick with Jennings, though - either centre or wing.) I think Farah has proven himself to be unreliable at this level, and would much prefer Ennis.

leo9999

Juniors
hayne should be fullback for nsw atleast game 1. if he doesnt get fullback i wont be complaining unless gidley gets it ahead of him.

Soward should be five eight and goal kicker . its funny, the dragons are the most consistant team in the nrl, and not many players get picked.. Honestly whats going on !

Hindmarsh should be there as captain.

lingard

Coach
I think this series is going to be won by a bunch of big fast powerful backrowers who can play 60 minutes. I have seen enough from Lewis to be 14. He can cover all positions bar prop.

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. Lyon
4. Tahu (by the time of SOO1 he will have improved)
5. L Burt
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. White (can play an intense 60 minutes)
9. Ennis
10. Poore (by the time of SOO1 he will have improved - (can play an intense 60 minutes))
11. Hindmarsh
12. Creagh
13. Stewart

14. Lewis
15. Leroyd-Lars
16. Waterhouse
17. Watmough

18. Mannah - Perry - Wayman - Dean Young - Gallen[/

I like your reasoning, Casper. (Did I say that?) Yes I did. (Or did I?) Yes, I definitely did.
I think age will be against Hindmarsh. And I certainly agree that Burt desrves his chance on the wing (he`d be the best goal-kicker in that team, too.) I kind of like the idea of the two Morris boys in the side, though (as mentioned by Craig Johnstone). Did I agree with him? Yes I did. Am I sure? Yes, I think so. Anyway, post: I don`t think the selectors will pick Burt. I also don`t think Tahu has shown enough YET to play centre at that level. SO, I would have:
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Lyon
5. Tahu/ Burt (it`s a toss up - though Burt deserves it more, AND he`s a goal-kicker, so you never know.)
BUT that means leaving out Jennings, and I think the selectors are grooming him (I hope that`s not what it sounds like!)

Ennis - definitely better than Farrah [U"]at this level.[/U]
Kimmorley - slightly ahead of Pearce at this level, unless his combination with Carney ignites over the next couple of weeks.

lingard

Coach
If Mason continues to improve I would bring him in. His intensity and aggression would help to win the series by smashing a tiring defence in the last ten minutes of each half. But who do we drop? Maybe injuries will have the final say in this squad.

I think Gallen looses the ball too many times for my liking.

Also, if Mannah keeps improving he is a bolter for a bench spot. Mannah is already on par with Perry & Wayman. Timmy has more leg speed to break through tackles which will be better utilised in SOO than Weyman's big body weight barge due to his size. Timmy should be brought on after 20 / 25 minutes of each half to play 15/20 minutes. His speed and power will be very useful to SOO. We saw a lot of this in County v City tonight. Timmy impressed me greatly, there's no bullsh*t and he does not regularly give away stupid penalties or loose his cool.

You make a lot of sense there, Casper. You`d hate to see Mannah come on and get smashed at this level and then have his confidence destroyed, though. He certainly deserves a chance, though.
I reckon it`s such a shame that this series has developed into situation where the only thing that matters is WINNING. It should be a show-case of talent and a reward for good form rather than this tired old mentality where they only pick players who have been there before, because they HAVE to WIN! It`s a bloody exhibition game for heaven`s sake! Who cares who wins?

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Tahu
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley -c
8. White
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Hindmarsh -c
12. Watmough
13. Creagh

14. Poore
15. Snowden
16. Stewart/TLL
17. Lewis

- Kimmorley and Hindy co captains
- I would have Dugan at the back but would swap him with Hayne when we had the ball, wherever possible. That way Hayne can come in and roam in attack.
- Tahu and Poore have been slowly improving over the season and should be good enough by SOO time.
- I couldn't put Creagh in over Watmough but I reckon he'd go alright as a lock, try to get him playing a Ben Kennedy type game.
- I wasn't sure about Stewart on the bench, maybe replace him with TLL.

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
1. Dugan
2. Morris
3. Jennings
4. Tahu
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley -c
8. White
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Hindmarsh -c
12. Watmough
13. Creagh

14. Poore
15. Snowden
16. Stewart/TLL
17. Lewis

- Kimmorley and Hindy co captains
- I would have Dugan at the back but would swap him with Hayne when we had the ball, wherever possible. That way Hayne can come in and roam in attack.
- Tahu and Poore have been slowly improving over the season and should be good enough by SOO time.
- I couldn't put Creagh in over Watmough but I reckon he'd go alright as a lock, try to get him playing a Ben Kennedy type game.
- I wasn't sure about Stewart on the bench, maybe replace him with TLL.

yeh when i was thinking of my team i was tossing up between lars and stewart also, lars took it for me hes much more fearce in defence and has an intimidation factor too and also poore and mannah were my other toss up, i took mannah as i think poore still needs more improvement to be where he was when he got there last year and mannah i feel deserves a spot but wouldnt be surprised if they pick a prop like poore for the experiance

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I think this series is going to be won by a bunch of big fast powerful backrowers who can play 60 minutes. I have seen enough from Lewis to be 14. He can cover all positions bar prop.

1. Hayne
2. B Morris
3. Lyon
4. Tahu (by the time of SOO1 he will have improved)
5. L Burt
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. White (can play an intense 60 minutes)
9. Ennis
10. Poore (by the time of SOO1 he will have improved - (can play an intense 60 minutes))
11. Hindmarsh
12. Creagh
13. Stewart

14. Lewis
15. Leroyd-Lars
16. Waterhouse
17. Watmough

18. Mannah - Perry - Wayman - Dean Young - Gallen[/

I like your reasoning, Casper. (Did I say that?) Yes I did. (Or did I?) Yes, I definitely did.
I think age will be against Hindmarsh. And I certainly agree that Burt desrves his chance on the wing (he`d be the best goal-kicker in that team, too.) I kind of like the idea of the two Morris boys in the side, though (as mentioned by Craig Johnstone). Did I agree with him? Yes I did. Am I sure? Yes, I think so. Anyway, post: I don`t think the selectors will pick Burt. I also don`t think Tahu has shown enough YET to play centre at that level. SO, I would have:
1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Lyon
5. Tahu/ Burt (it`s a toss up - though Burt deserves it more, AND he`s a goal-kicker, so you never know.)
BUT that means leaving out Jennings, and I think the selectors are grooming him (I hope that`s not what it sounds like!)

Ennis - definitely better than Farrah [U"]at this level.[/U]
Kimmorley - slightly ahead of Pearce at this level, unless his combination with Carney ignites over the next couple of weeks.

You make a lot of sense there, Casper. You`d hate to see Mannah come on and get smashed at this level and then have his confidence destroyed, though. He certainly deserves a chance, though.
I reckon it`s such a shame that this series has developed into situation where the only thing that matters is WINNING. It should be a show-case of talent and a reward for good form rather than this tired old mentality where they only pick players who have been there before, because they HAVE to WIN! It`s a bloody exhibition game for heaven`s sake! Who cares who wins?

Hey, Lingard...... I agree with you mate..... but its going to take a huge shift in consciousness to bring this about. Maybe after Dec 21st 2012....

Only joking

BTW..... We need some old heads spread throughout this team = mental toughness, they don't crack under pressure, instead they RISE to the occasion and stay focused for 80 minutes and they are excellent motivators, talkers, walk-the-talk, and are using their brains in the heat of the battle to out-think their opposition and can organise both defensive and attacking structures and some must have an excellent kicking game and at least one can kick goals anywhere inside half-way .... hence

11. N Hindmarsh and captain
5. L Burt on the wing
7. B Kimmorley at halfback
9. M Ennis (he showed plenty last night that he is not only a mongrel but uses his brain during the heat of battle while laughing off a situation after just being smashed - he is a world class hooker now - with an awesome kicking game)

All the others picked are proven tough physically and mentally in big-games.. Will pick themselves up after being smashed and get back into line and get on with winning the game, broken bodies or not.

Cooper, is not a great center because he doesn't have a great footy brain. He is seriously overrated. Not saying he can't play, just saying that he does not have a great footy brain that kicks in during the heat of battle. That is why I have picked

4. Timana Tahu at center to play with
5. Luke Burt.

Tahu will RISE to the occasion. He is a big game player and an awesome finisher and defender.

2. B Morris
3. J Lyon

They suit/compliment each others style of game

Evolving out of this organised structure (11. 5. 7. 9.) these other players picked have their own unique inspirational in-the-moment talents who can strike from anywhere at anytime

1. J Hayne
3. J Lyon
6. T Carney
14. L Lewis (he is now one of the best jack-of-all-trade-players I have ever seen - will cover all positions, bar prop but he would put his hand up and probably handle that roll too.)
17. A Watmough
13. G Stewart
12. B Creagh
W. Mason

Powerful strike weapons in the forwards who can also hurt in defense..

B Creagh
A Watmough
T Waterhouse
W Mason
G Stewart
L Lewis

60/80 Minute Workhorses Who Can Handle Themselves

80 minutes

N Hindmarsh
G Stewart
L Lewis
B Creagh
A Watmough

60 Minutes

T Mannah
J Poore
B White
L R Lars

Ball Players/Off Loaders at the line or before the line

G Stewart
A Watmough
N Hindmarsh
L Lewis
T Waterhouse
W Mason

Powerful strike weapons in the backs who can score from anywhere at anytime

J Hayne
B Morris
J Lyon
L Burt
T Tahu
T Carney

Goal kickers

L Burt
B Carney
J Lyon
M Ennis

Kickers-40/20

J Hayne
B Kimmorley
L Burt
T Carney
M Ennis

VIP: Leave out K Giddley, he is not a SOO player (yet) at least in the make up of the squad I have picked

Last edited:

_mUSASHI_

Juniors
Some absolutely woeful teams named in this thread?

Anyone putting Hayne out of position, and naming Gidley anywhere is clueless. Kimmorley will be the 7.

The team below is what i think will be selected, or close to it.

1-Hayne
2-Morris
3-Jennings
4-Lyon
5-Burt (honestly cant think of anyone else, maybe Dugan for a bolter?)
6-Carney (country looked alot better when he moved to 6)
7-Kimmorley (country link again)
8-Weyman
9-Innis
10-White
11-Creagh
12-Watmough
13-Hindmarsh (80 min player, deserves captaincy)

14-Lewis
15-Snowden/Galloway/Douglas
16-Leahroyd-Lars
17-Mason

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree with Casper on KGidley - the guy is not an Origin player. He's a willing worker who punches above his weight, but certainly lacks the talent to play Origin.
He looks good at club level when he dominates the ball, and the only games he has looked good at Origin level have been at dummy half where he has basically run the ball himself every time against the tired Qld forwards. He made a lot of meters in that game, but also congested our attack into the middle third of the field (ie - good for making ground, crap for scoring points).

1. Hayne (seriously, you pick the best player first, and go from there)
2. B Morris
3. Lyon (watch Judas get eaten alive by Inglis AGAIN)
4. Jennings (who did this bloke offend?)
5. Tahu (could switch up with Jennings in defence when required)
6. ?? Bird ??
7. ?? Kimmorley ?? (sadly the options at 6 and 7 are rubbish yet again)
8. Perry
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Watmough
12. Hindmarsh (I'd go for the old warhorse here, we need a scraps man to do all the tackling and tidying up)
13. Lewis (even though I hate to say it - has actually been in real good form this year)

14. Carney ? (he's got the talent, can cover multiple positions - including hooker, is in good form, and could cause some headaches coming on late. And frankly is a damn sight better than Kurt the waste of bench space Gidley.)
15. Poore
16. Creagh
17. ?? needs to be a prop, although I don't see any options presenting themselves. Mannah is as 'Origin made' as any of the contenders, big body who can bash it forward against the big boys. He's no chance, so no idea?

Schiltzenberger

Juniors

Anyone putting Hayne out of position, and naming Gidley anywhere is clueless. Kimmorley will be the 7.
Well I would never pick Gidley but how is Hayne out of position on the wing?
He could play pretty much any position in the backline, besides halfback, he was the best player in the series last year playing on the wing.
He is a great attacking weapon but he is nowhere near the other good fullbacks in the game when it comes to positioning and overall urgency at fielding kicks.

He may get picked and end up playing well at fullback, he obviously could but I think Dugan would just be a safer pick.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

The team below is what i think will be selected, or close to it.

1-Hayne
2-Morris
3-Jennings
4-Lyon
5-Burt (honestly cant think of anyone else, maybe Dugan for a bolter?)
6-Carney (country looked a lot better when he moved to 6)
7-Kimmorley (country link again)
8-Weyman
9-Innis
10-White
11-Creagh
12-Watmough
13-Hindmarsh (80 min player, deserves captaincy)

14-Lewis
15-Snowden/Galloway/Douglas
16-Leahroyd-Lars
17-Mason

When Todd Carney came on the whole teams energy changed, Country lifted and went to another level and City could not match them for the rest of the game. There is something special about Carney, that same aura which Sterlo, Kenny, Lewis, Daley, Fittler, etc, brought to a team.

I think it would be great for Carney to play with Kimmorley in this years series, he will learn heaps and Kimmorley is a good calming influence under SOO pressure. This should be Kimmorley's swan song series.

Hayne and Carney combinations need to be developed ASAP as they appear to be the future of NSW SOO squads.

Grail

Juniors
small maybe, slow he is not, d weak only when left left 1 on 2, he isn't that old chicka ferguson was way older when he played origin, he is not boring did you watch the Dogs game last week?
NSW could do a lot worse than L. Burt.

:crazy::crazy:
as I said

"he will always be seen by selectors"

Small - obvious. Since Hodgson was ragdolled by Tallis, NSW selectors have been terrified of having smaller players in the team.

Slow - I agree he isn't slow, but is never seen as fast. He is never mentioned as a speedster, they will look at him and say "not fast enough" we need pace on the flanks.

Weak D - because he is small, he can get monstered.

Boring - he is not a flashy player. The selectors will not seem him as a game breaker, they will not seem him as someone who can do a bit of magic to win a game for them. Hence he is boring. He is not a Morris, Jennings or Hayne for eg.

You really need to read what is said before replying like a 'tard.

James Mcmanus got a gig on the wing so i guess they could pick anyone!
They will pick Robertson instead of Burt i bet.

Latest posts