What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your NSW team for SOO 1

Eels Dude

Coach
I would pick a time like this

1. Hayne
2. Tahu
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. Galloway
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Hindmarsh
12. Watmough
13. O'Donnell

14. Lewis
15. Bird
16. Perry
17. Douglas

The selectors won't pick that side though. Hindy definately won't be there and Gallen, Gidley, Creagh and White will be there somewhere.

Djay

Juniors
1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Jennings
4. Lyon
5. Morris
6. Carney
7. Kimmorley
8. White
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Watmough
12. Creagh
13. Waterhouse

14. Young
15. Mannah
16.Lewis
17. Perry

Hutchy86

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Jennings
4. Cooper
5. Morris
6. Lyon
7. Kimmorley
8. Galloway
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Lewis
12. Watmough
13. Gallen

14. Young
15. Learoyd-Lahrs
16. Mason
17. Snowden

Jennings played his way into a Blues jersey last night imo... if Beau Scott didn't injure himself he would be a shoe-in
It is extremely hard to leave Cooper and Dugan out of that NSW team - one has done it a thousand times before and the other will go on to do it a thousand more.
As for the bench... Learoyd-Lahrs and Mason are there for impact, whereas Young and Snowden give us the hard-workers we need to stay in the game.
FTR Greg Bird should never play Origin footy again after his performances of late - was very lucky to even get a Country jersey.

hindy111

Post Whore
TAHU IS NOT ORIGIN CLASS YET~~~or should i say at moment...jenings-cooper are above hime
Parra will have one player picked-HAyne on the WING!!!!!

Craig Johnston

First Grade
TAHU IS NOT ORIGIN CLASS YET~~~or should i say at moment...jenings-cooper are above hime

not origin class? :lol: he only has more caps and tries than last year's backline combined :lol:

oldmancraigy

Coach

Tahu has ALWAYS been Origin class. Incredible athlete and footy player from his earliest days.

The only question was whether he was back into the swing of things and playing good enough footy again.

You clearly think he's not - I (along with others) strongly disagree with you. Tahu has been playing well, and has the natural ability to make something happen at that top level.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He is a great attacking weapon but he is nowhere near the other good fullbacks in the game when it comes to positioning and overall urgency at fielding kicks.

He may get picked and end up playing well at fullback, he obviously could but I think Dugan would just be a safer pick.

:crazy:

Maybe you ought to go and rewatch some tape of Hayne.

I suppose you think that Burt is the 'safer' option at fullback for the Eels too?

hindy111

Post Whore
sorry i meant current form
cooper-lyons jennings are before him...maybe on the wing but thats it...Too many better centres in defence!

caylo

Bench
sorry i meant current form
cooper-lyons jennings are before him...maybe on the wing but thats it...Too many better centres in defence!

IMO Lyon will be right centre leaving left centre open to either Cooper, Tahu or Lawrence. IMO Tahu has more attacking potential and would be the way to go. Jennings is a right centre so essentially competing with Lyon and will probably find himself on the wing.
Im confident that the backline will be

1 Hayne
2 Jennings
3 Lyon
4 Tahu
5 Morris

14 Kidley

oldmancraigy

Coach
IMO Lyon will be right centre leaving left centre open to either Cooper, Tahu or Lawrence. IMO Tahu has more attacking potential and would be the way to go. Jennings is a right centre so essentially competing with Lyon and will probably find himself on the wing.
Im confident that the backline will be

1 Hayne
2 Jennings
3 Lyon
4 Tahu
5 Morris

14 Kidley

If they DON'T pick Hayne at fullback, then the side is geniused. Plain and simple.

Eels Dude

Coach
What is it with the love for Gidley. Great club player but never performed at Origin level

Yeah that moment in game 2 last year when the ball was rolling into the in goal area with the closest defender 30m up field and he had his foot on the sideline... every Blues fan was yelling "don't pick it up, don't pick it up" and guess what he did.

Pricey73

Juniors
1. Dugan
2. Hayne
3. Lyon
4. Tahu
5. B. Morris
6. Bird
7. Kimmorley
8. White
9. Ennis
10. Weyman
11. Hindmarsh
12. Stewart
13. Watmough

14. Lewis
15. Leroyd-Lars
16. Perry
17. Mannah

Schiltzenberger

Juniors

Maybe you ought to go and rewatch some tape of Hayne.

I suppose you think that Burt is the 'safer' option at fullback for the Eels too?
No I never liked having Burt at the back, but he's better positionally than Hayne and showed more urgency.

Dugan would be much safer when it comes to fielding kicks and being in the right place at the right time. Hayne has let the team down a lot defensively at the back, last year he cancelled it out by scoring and setting up lots of tries. This year because he hasn't done as much in attack his weakness has stood out a bit more. Like when Grothe had a go at him, Hayne was too busy shining his pretty boots on the other side of the field.

He is lazy at fielding kicks, he jogs when he should be sprinting and he sits back a leaves balls for the wingers that other fullbacks would chase. He is quite often not in the right position, do you think teams always try to kick down Slater's and Dugan's throats? they dont, those players are good at getting to the right spot.

Look at the kick that pretty much lost us the GF last year, the one where Inglis caught it and scored unopposed, one of the softest GF tries ever. Just about every fullback in the comp would've defused that, Hayne was nowhere to be seen.

He won the Dally M for his overall attacking ability, which is great, he didn't win it for brilliant fullback play.

That's why a proper fullback that can field kicks and be in the right spot would be the safer option.

proto

Juniors
1-Dugan
2-Hayne
3-Jennings
4-Morris / Lyon
5-Morris

6-Carney
7-Pearce (if fit) / Kimmorley

8-Weyman
9-Ennis
10-Snowden
11-Watmough
12-Creagh
13-Gallen

14-Lewis
15-Mannah
16-Waterhouse
17-LearoydLars

cgee221

Juniors
Deadset.....I know everyone is entitled to their opinions (and I'm just as likely to be slammed for what I say) and that Dugan is a great young player, however anyone who thinks he should be picked for Origin 1 is being naive. If NSW want to win game 1 let alone the series they should use experience, are origin hardened and players that can combat their Queensland counterparts.

A side like this would be ideal for game 1.

1) Hayne
2) Morris
3) Lyon
4) Tahu
5) Morris
6) Barrett (has he retired from rep footy at all?)
7) Kimmorley
13) Gallen
12) Watmough
11) Hindmarsh (c)
10) Weyman
8) White/Cross
9) Ennis

14) Gidley
15) Lewis
16) Learoyd-Lahrs/Cross
17) Mason

The NSW player of the series from last year should get his hands on the football as much as possible, Hayne. Origin after all is where Hayne got his form from last year IMO.
Morris boys on either flank. Both have great pace and are great finishers.
Lyon and Tahu centres, experienced and of all the centre combinations have the best chance of shutting down their rivals, the other centre capable of doing that atm would be Cooper.
Experienced halves in Origin are essential, Barrett and Kimmorley are both matchwinners for their states, as is and I will get slammed for this, Finch. He has won Origin before, experienced half, wont be controlling the game if he was to play (should be 5/8 if Barrett not available) and most importantly plays with the current NSW coach.
An all tough Origin backrow; Hindmarsh, we all know what he can do. Watmough was the best NSW forward last year and can stick it to the Maroons, and Gallen, well this is the only time of year you cheer on his grubbiness cause he will also stick to Queensland.
Weyman and White up front. Weyman is the best NSW prop atm and White, we all see what he did last year, we want some hotheads in the team who will as I said before, stick it to them. Ben Cross is also another player to consider here.
Ennis as widely debated, is better suited to Origin than Farah.

Gidley and Lewis provide a cover for positions if injuries take their toll, but also bring skill and composure to the team. Both very experienced players.
TLL and Mason provide impact and metres and at the moment, Mason is playing the way everyone knew he could but most of all he is an experienced Origin player and has been very influential at this level.

Controversial calls I know, but experience and the balance of the team is what essential to winning this game. Queensland is vulnerable atm, particularly in the forwards and picking the best forward pack is vital. A team like this is the type of team to take advantage of Queensland. Will it be picked? No....but it's the type of squad NSW needs.

Jason70

Juniors
Gidley will be fullback and captain which is a bloody joke. Lyon will be 5/8 with Bird at lock, no Gallen and dont be surprised if Cooper is picked and will suddenly be able to train. Just as a smokey why doesn't Corey Patterson ever get a mention. Better option than Leayroyd Lahrs for the reserve second rower/prop position. Is skillful and should be looked at but wont be. Unfortunately i can c another series loss. Just hope our blokes dont forget the way QLD carried on when they lost game 3 last year, including their captain Teflon Lockyer.

Latest posts