What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Problem isn't Head

maestro1

Bench
I also forgot to add......why do you think Tim Sheens let Head go? If he was any good, he'd still be there as their other option, if Benji gets injured again or doesn't work out at number 7, is John Morris...............

Syren

Juniors
If it's a month into the season and he did nothing, then I would be worried... I mean it's only the preseason plus various injuries. He can be excused.

SET2JT

Juniors
Here's a question for you all....

If Soward and Head became suddenly available, who would demand the most attention from other clubs....There is a reason why Soward would? Because Soward is a gun and Head is crap.

Let's break their games down, shall we......

Defence.......Head is the worst in the comp, Soward is quite good, plus he can run down a runaway attacker.

Kicking........Soward has the best alround kicking game in the comp, especially in the wet. He has the 40/20, the short, the long, the short kick into the in goal, the cross kick for heis wings/centres, the long kick into the pockets or in goal pockets. Head has a good short kick into the in goal and for his wingers, but they don't come off very often. In his time with the roosters, soward lead the 40/20 stats.......

Running game......Soward is quick and elusive and gets the team rolling. Head can't run.

Speed.........LOL at Head. I'm 43 and he wouldn't be able to catch me.

Passing game.....Head has a very nice passing game, however, because he sh*ts himself whenever he senses the defence on him, his runners are always in danger of being hit hard ala bird/morris. Soward has anice passing game that improves dramatically with confidence.

Affect on defences......Because Head cannot run, the opposition finds him easier to defend against especially when pressured, as souths did the other night. He sh*ts himself and kills his support players. Soward keeps the defense guessing with speed, jinks, steps, kicks over the top for himself, passes to supports ans just pure speed.

I know who I'd rather. Soward is also one of the tue excitement players.
soward will demand the most money at the moment only because head is always injured. but i aslo recall in 2005 a lot of footy experts were saying that head will be the next A Johns. and another thing you guys shouldent worry to much about how we played in the c/s some1 posted on another thread that bennet doesnt want us to show our full potential just before we play the storm and thats what i was thinking all along.

maestro1

Bench
It's 2009, 2005 was a lifetime ago........Soward would command the most money and attention because he is a better player in nearly every facet of the game.......especially speed, toughness and defence, which are the most important attributes of a footballer.

the injuries are just an excuse and if Head was fair dinkum, he would have got that knee injury right 2 years ago with some hard work.

Tell me why he hasn't bulked up. He needed to and hasn't. Yes he is little, but with some hard work, he could have built a physique like Orford, Kimmorley, etc. Instead he runs out onto the NRL arena with those chicken legs and 13 year old physique. He needed to do some hard work in the gym and chose not to.....thinking that his talent would always get him through as it did until he came up against men........wasted talent.......now paying the price of what might have been.

watatank

Coach
It's 2009, 2005 was a lifetime ago........Soward would command the most money and attention because he is a better player in nearly every facet of the game.......especially speed, toughness and defence, which are the most important attributes of a footballer.

Both toughness and defence is debatable.

the injuries are just an excuse and if Head was fair dinkum, he would have got that knee injury right 2 years ago with some hard work.

Tell me why he hasn't bulked up. He needed to and hasn't. Yes he is little, but with some hard work, he could have built a physique like Orford, Kimmorley, etc. Instead he runs out onto the NRL arena with those chicken legs and 13 year old physique. He needed to do some hard work in the gym and chose not to.....thinking that his talent would always get him through as it did until he came up against men........wasted talent.......now paying the price of what might have been.

Unless you're a medical expert you're really in no position to talk of his injuries as an excuse

legend_ss

Juniors
i still see the 4 main spots of
1.Hornby
6.Soward
7.Head
9.Young
head will run riot in 09 and those who are against at the moment will then go head is the best he should be the next nsw halfback

Hanscholo

Bench
tbh Soward gets very little criticism despite shortcomings in certain areas of his game.

You reckon? I thought he pretty much coped it from a lot of people unless he so much as scoreed 3 tries and setup 2. To me, he has been overburdened with expectations for years. Just let him do his stuff, when he is in broken play he'll kill it. Dont expect him to be wally lewis.

watatank

Coach
You reckon? I thought he pretty much coped it from a lot of people unless he so much as scoreed 3 tries and setup 2. To me, he has been overburdened with expectations for years. Just let him do his stuff, when he is in broken play he'll kill it. Dont expect him to be wally lewis.

Yes, I do. Don't get me wrong, Soward's a good player, just not as good as everyone is making him out to be. He doesn't need the criticism and the lack of criticism (i.e. giving him our confidence) has actually done wonders for his game. I only mentioned it because of all the hate (unwarranted IMO) towards other players when Soward himself escapes a lot of it when he's not without his shortcomings.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Yes, I do. Don't get me wrong, Soward's a good player, just not as good as everyone is making him out to be. He doesn't need the criticism and the lack of criticism (i.e. giving him our confidence) has actually done wonders for his game. I only mentioned it because of all the hate (unwarranted IMO) towards other players when Soward himself escapes a lot of it when he's not without his shortcomings.
The kids been made a scapegoat for a teams shortcomings for years, well before he joined the Dragons. Roger's being a case in point, and being in and out of first grade under Ricky Stuart being another.

Yes he has shortcomings, as any player with his experience does... He only has a fraction over 50 games in first grade. Yes he needs to take the ball to the line more, and yes he has to work on his passing game... But he is a genuine talent, and one of the few 5/8's running around in our game with genuine x-factor. He seems to be a player that divides fans for some reason, they either love him or hate him... But the fact of the matter remains, when the going got tough last year, he was one of only a few that really stood up in our side. He was probably our most consistent player, in the top 5 in the NRL for try assists, consistently posted man of the match or dally m point scoring performances etc etc. With or without his flaws, he is still a damn good first grade half, hopefully this year under Bennett he can find a stronger running game and make the step into the top echelon of halves in our game...

One thing is for sure, in his two years with us he has improved drastically in some real key areas. His defense being one and his confidence in demanding the ball. Both of which were pretty ordinary at the Roosters.

Last edited:

RufusRex

Post Whore
agree with the defence thing .. he put a hit on a 2nd rower early in the first half close to our line that was not too shabby at all.

Jasdragon

Juniors
I also forgot to add......why do you think Tim Sheens let Head go? If he was any good, he'd still be there as their other option, if Benji gets injured again or doesn't work out at number 7, is John Morris...............

That's what Ive been saying since I heard we were signing the bum!

Jasdragon

Juniors
soward will demand the most money at the moment only because head is always injured. but i aslo recall in 2005 a lot of footy experts were saying that head will be the next A Johns. and another thing you guys shouldent worry to much about how we played in the c/s some1 posted on another thread that bennet doesnt want us to show our full potential just before we play the storm and thats what i was thinking all along.

What so he told us to deliberately play sh*t common mate :crazy::crazy:. By the way they said Firman was the next Johns also.

Jasdragon

Juniors
i still see the 4 main spots of
1.Hornby
6.Soward
7.Head
9.Young
head will run riot in 09 and those who are against at the moment will then go head is the best he should be the next nsw halfback

:crazy::crazy::crazy::lol::lol:

SET2JT

Juniors
What so he told us to deliberately play sh*t common mate :crazy::crazy:. By the way they said Firman was the next Johns also.
not sh*t but he didnt want us to show anything in attack. defence was great. what im trying to say is we beat a roosters team with last years soo halves by 50 points and againts one of the teams who were fighting for the spoon last year we couldnt even score 20 points.

watatank

Coach
The kids been made a scapegoat for a teams shortcomings for years, well before he joined the Dragons. Roger's being a case in point, and being in and out of first grade under Ricky Stuart being another.

He didn't do anything in first grade at the Roosters and deserved to get dropped. He discovered his game at the Dragons and good on him for it. The Rogers situation wasn't Soward being made a scapegoat, entirely different situation IMO.

Yes he has shortcomings, as any player with his experience does... He only has a fraction over 50 games in first grade. Yes he needs to take the ball to the line more, and yes he has to work on his passing game... But he is a genuine talent, and one of the few 5/8's running around in our game with genuine x-factor. He seems to be a player that divides fans for some reason, they either love him or hate him... But the fact of the matter remains, when the going got tough last year, he was one of only a few that really stood up in our side. He was probably our most consistent player, in the top 5 in the NRL for try assists, consistently posted man of the match or dally m point scoring performances etc etc. With or without his flaws, he is still a damn good first grade half, hopefully this year under Bennett he can find a stronger running game and make the step into the top echelon of halves in our game...

One thing is for sure, in his two years with us he has improved drastically in some real key areas. His defense being one and his confidence in demanding the ball. Both of which were pretty ordinary at the Roosters.

I'm not saying he's not talented but he's not without his shortcomings which tend to be ignored in favour of berating other players. Look at how many Matt Head bashing posts there are on the forum, for example ignoring how bad Soward played as well.

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm not saying he's not talented but he's not without his shortcomings which tend to be ignored in favour of berating other players. Look at how many Matt Head bashing posts there are on the forum, for example ignoring how bad Soward played as well.
The Natural Selection theory at work in a forum environment. ;-) The weakest link is targeted. You're free to start a Soward bashing thread, tank.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
He didn't do anything in first grade at the Roosters and deserved to get dropped. He discovered his game at the Dragons and good on him for it. The Rogers situation wasn't Soward being made a scapegoat, entirely different situation IMO.
The longest run Soward ever got in first grade for the Roosters was 4 games in a row, most stints were one or two games. No up and coming rookie can cement their position in a side under those expectations, especially not a half, and definitely not when their forward pack was functioning as poorly as it was in 2006. Even during those games he did play, he still had a pretty good strike rate for trys and try assists. His defense was the issue, something that cannot be solved simply by dropping someone to reserve grade, the size and talent of players is severely lacking in comparison to the top grade. In reserve grade, during those times, he lead the competition in pretty much every key area that you'd expect from a half.

As for the Rogers situation, how wasn't he made a scapegoat? Hornby stepped up his running and passing games in Soward's absence, and Rogers was credited with the change, leaving Soward out of the side. As a result, we were unable to build any pressure in close games because we had no kicking game. The end result proved that Rogers was an imposter.

Difference being, Soward played well in the two opening hitouts, and played the third with an injury. I'm not bashing head, but Soward has been far superior in these trials and Head has done little to secure his halfback spot. That being said, in round 1, Head should be given the halfback spot and given a chance to prove himself.

Last edited: