What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your RD 1 2018 line up

Abacus

Juniors
1. Edwards
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. Whare/DWZ/Peachey
5. DWZ/Sivo
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
13. Cartwright
12. Yeo
11. Harawira-Naera
10. RCG
9. Katoa
8. Merrin

14. Wallace
15. Tamou
16. JFH
17. Peachey

Now the why for some of the above.

DWZ - if or when the club extend Edwards, I see DWZ as injury cover only. Without overspending on wingers, the only area I see for DWZ to add value is in the centres or potentially 2nd row (although we seem to have plenty of 2nd row depth). Determining whether DWZ has a future in either of these roles will answer whether he has a future at the club beyond his current contract. Therefore, if Whare or Blake are unavailable for Rd 1, particularly for a few rounds, I'm hoping the club give DWZ 1st crack.

Cartwright - I'd like to see him get his basics right so would start him in the middle at lock. Get him involved in the grunt work without thinking he needs to create a try with every touch. His natural creativity will lead to enough opportunity for points but playing in the middle may give him a greater appreciation for the cost of turnovers and moderate some of his decision-making. Also, it seems the wider he defends, the greater a liability he is.

Wallace - this assumes May is unavailable in Round 1 and provides Katoa with a rest (which he will need) and coverage for any injury to halves. Wallace slowed noticeably over the course of 2017 and, as others have noted, this severely hampers our attack. Over the season, I see Wallace transitioning out for Egan.

Peachey - similar to DWZ, he is pretty much injury cover at this stage. The club needs to determine where his value to our full strength team is. If it's as a centre, he needs to developed as such - maybe spending a fair bit of time with Whare will encourage him to look for his winger occasionally. Otherwise his role in Round 1 is to give Cartwright or the 2nd rowers a rest and provide cover for the starting centres.

OldPanther

Coach
1. Edwards
2. Mansour
3. Blake
4. Whare/DWZ/Peachey
5. DWZ/Sivo
6. Moylan
7. Cleary
13. Cartwright
12. Yeo
11. Harawira-Naera
10. RCG
9. Katoa
8. Merrin

14. Wallace
15. Tamou
16. JFH
17. Peachey

Now the why for some of the above.

DWZ - if or when the club extend Edwards, I see DWZ as injury cover only. Without overspending on wingers, the only area I see for DWZ to add value is in the centres or potentially 2nd row (although we seem to have plenty of 2nd row depth). Determining whether DWZ has a future in either of these roles will answer whether he has a future at the club beyond his current contract. Therefore, if Whare or Blake are unavailable for Rd 1, particularly for a few rounds, I'm hoping the club give DWZ 1st crack.

Cartwright - I'd like to see him get his basics right so would start him in the middle at lock. Get him involved in the grunt work without thinking he needs to create a try with every touch. His natural creativity will lead to enough opportunity for points but playing in the middle may give him a greater appreciation for the cost of turnovers and moderate some of his decision-making. Also, it seems the wider he defends, the greater a liability he is.

Wallace - this assumes May is unavailable in Round 1 and provides Katoa with a rest (which he will need) and coverage for any injury to halves. Wallace slowed noticeably over the course of 2017 and, as others have noted, this severely hampers our attack. Over the season, I see Wallace transitioning out for Egan.

Peachey - similar to DWZ, he is pretty much injury cover at this stage. The club needs to determine where his value to our full strength team is. If it's as a centre, he needs to developed as such - maybe spending a fair bit of time with Whare will encourage him to look for his winger occasionally. Otherwise his role in Round 1 is to give Cartwright or the 2nd rowers a rest and provide cover for the starting centres.

I couldn't disagree more about DWZ. He deserves his spot more than some reserve grade bloke with a bit of promise.

Agree completely about Wallace.

Abacus

Juniors
I couldn't disagree more about DWZ. He deserves his spot more than some reserve grade bloke with a bit of promise.

Agree completely about Wallace.
You don't think the club needs to find out whether DWZ has more value than as a winger or injury back-up?
DWZ forever on the wing?

You don't think the club needs to find out whether DWZ has more value than as a winger or injury back-up?
DWZ forever on the wing?
He should have been fullback for the last 2 years with Moylan at 6 but Edwards took his chance and DWZ will never replace him. We also already have 1 too many centres

betcats

Referee
DWZ forever on the wing?

How would he have more value as a back up? We are paying him as a starter.

If we stopped picking him in fg he'd be on the wing at another club very quickly.

Abacus

Juniors
He should have been fullback for the last 2 years with Moylan at 6 but Edwards took his chance and DWZ will never replace him. We also already have 1 too many centres
Maybe. So now what to the club do with him? Test him in other roles or leave him on the wing while others are in front of him for centre/2nd row and there are cheaper options that could play wing.
My question is to do with improving the squad. Is DWZ only a winger or can he be more?

Abacus

Juniors
How would he have more value as a back up? We are paying him as a starter.

If we stopped picking him in fg he'd be on the wing at another club very quickly.
Not arguing that he can get a start elsewhere on the wing. Is there any more value to him under his current contracted amount.

Also, unless there is a better winger to pick he gets selected in FG. Can/will he develop into something other than a winger?

Maybe. So now what to the club do with him? Test him in other roles or leave him on the wing while others are in front of him for centre/2nd row and there are cheaper options that could play wing.
My question is to do with improving the squad. Is DWZ only a winger or can he be more?
Doesn't have the hands or passing game to be a centre...well maybe here where our wingers don't see the ball but you get the idea

Luke Bowden

First Grade
1.Edwards
2.Sauce
3.Whare
4.Blake
5.DWZ
6.Moyza
7.Cleary
8.Tamou
9.Wallace (c)
10.Merrin
11.CHN
12.Yeo
13.Peachy

14.Cartwright
15.RCG
16.JFH
17.Katoa (until May is good)

18.Latu
19.Kikua
20.Leota

OldPanther

Coach
1.Edwards
2.Sauce
3.Whare
4.Blake
5.DWZ
6.Moyza
7.Cleary
8.Tamou
9.Wallace (c)
10.Merrin
11.CHN
12.Yeo
13.Peachy

14.Cartwright
15.RCG
16.JFH
17.Katoa (until May is good)

18.Latu
19.Kikua
20.Leota

Wallace would have to lift a lot for this to work.

pantherpuddy

Juniors
1- Edwards
2- Mansour
3- Blake
4- Whare
5- DWZ
6- Moylan
7- Cleary
8- Merrin (c)
9- Katoa
10- Tamou
11- Yeo
12- CHN
13- Cartwright

14- Peachey
15- RCG
16- Leota
17- Kikau

18- Wallace
19- JFH
20- May
21- Rein
22- Latu
23- Brown
24- Ellis
25- Luai

Its time to give Bryce a crack at Lock and I think Leota and Kikau can give us some real punch from the bench. Moving Merrin to the front row should mean we dont need Brown in the 17. Wallace will come in handy with his experience when we get injuries but the time to drop him is now (doubt it will happen). JFH, Latu and May when fit again will have to fight their way into the team.

Abacus

Juniors
What Betcats said was what I was getting at.
Its great for DWZ if the club is paying him as a starter, but his value to the club is pretty much as a winger or back-up FB only.
My interest is whether the club can extract any greater value from him. Its not a shot at DWZ, more a case of the club won't know unless it tries him in different roles. Hence, if we have an injury in the centres, I'd like to see DWZ given 1st shot.

franklin2323

Immortal

He is one that hasn't kicked on like he should of. The keyboard heroes with no idea will use the coach to blame.

Souths and Bulldogs games were examples of him having shockers full stop. He is no better than when he debuted in 2014

OldPanther

Coach
Its great for DWZ if the club is paying him as a starter, but his value to the club is pretty much as a winger or back-up FB only.
My interest is whether the club can extract any greater value from him. Its not a shot at DWZ, more a case of the club won't know unless it tries him in different roles. Hence, if we have an injury in the centres, I'd like to see DWZ given 1st shot.

He's a winger 1st and fullback if we get desperate. I seriously doubt he gets used as anything else. Personally he's my preference for starting winger with Mansour anyways. We also have some of the best depth in the comp so it's not as necessary for the club to consider what you're proposing. It is interesting to consider these things though.

OldPanther

Coach
He is one that hasn't kicked on like he should of. The keyboard heroes with no idea will use the coach to blame.

Souths and Bulldogs games were examples of him having shockers full stop. He is no better than when he debuted in 2014

He has improved massively and your jab about the coach is just plain petty.

Abacus

Juniors
He's a winger 1st and fullback if we get desperate. I seriously doubt he gets used as anything else. Personally he's my preference for starting winger with Mansour anyways. We also have some of the best depth in the comp so it's not as necessary for the club to consider what you're proposing. It is interesting to consider these things though.
The reality is that to continue strengthening a squad, you need to question what each player's strengths and weaknesses are and effectively underpay some players respective to the value they bring to the team. Can the club get greater value from DWZ than the basis on which he is being paid.
Agreed, DWZ is 1 of our best wingers and will be an auto selection there when the team is at full strength. But, in the event of an injury to 1 of the starting centres, could the team be better by shifting DWZ to centre and bring Sivo on the wing or continue having Peachey as 1st centre replacement and bring in another benchee?
And then for cap management, where would you prefer to spend to strengthen your squad? Players typically want to sign for more than their old contract. In DWZ's case, an increased contract is easier to justify (from the club's perspective) if he has another string or 2 to his bow.

Abacus

Juniors
He has improved massively and your jab about the coach is just plain petty.
Not that I should have to justify what posts I like, however, the part I agreed with was I don't believe DWZ has developed to the extent that a lot of us thought he would.

I'll leave comments about coaches and keyboard warriors for comment (or likes) to those more experienced than me.

Happy to continue the discussion.

betcats

Referee

This is such an idiotic statement, jeez you are clueless. You literally just talk out of your ass and hope no one calls you on it.

Dallin hasn't improved since he debuted, one of your best you clown.

Latest posts