What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team 2019

Das Hassler

Bench
Though the Parramatta types ( and they ARE a type) were chuckling when we brought Twal over...you never know. ..need recruitment people who can spot good ( bargain buy) horse flesh...Melbourne certainly the best at it

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Though the Parramatta types ( and they ARE a type) were chuckling when we brought Twal over...you never know. ..need recruitment people who can spot good ( bargain buy) horse flesh...Melbourne certainly the best at it
We were lucky that during Cleary’s short stint coaching Lebanon he familiarised himself with Twal otherwise we wouldnt have had the nous to recruit him.Hes a real good kid with enormous integrity on & off the field.

What made me chuckle was a few parra fans I know thought Twal wasn’t big enough.After Rowdy hes my favourite forward at the club & he’s earning a fraction of what the disappointing big name kiwi bludgers are on.

gordsy

Juniors
Plenty of types think Milford is a great half too. Some even though Bill Slater was man of the series in origin.

Good of Trent Robinson to give the 2019 West Tigers centre his 1st grade debut tonight in one hell of a game to make a debut.

It will be good to see how he goes opposite Gagai

OldPanther

Coach
Please

Every Panthers fan hated Wallace and wanted him gone, then he retired and all of a sudden he was Cameron Smith MKII

Maloney and Clearly missed a handful of games

DWZ was a mile better then Edwards

Even so it still effects your structures. People also forget how good Edwards is.

super_coach

First Grade
My major concern for 2019 is we will have Reynolds, Benji, Farah and Liddle all on our books. So if they are all fit and ready to go how do you pick your team. You could never in your wildest dreams carry a backup no9 and a back up no 6 on your bench. Okay Reynolds at a pinch becomes the back up for both positions, so than Liddle misses out. From what I saw at the back end of this season, we need Farah, but we also need Liddle’s speed.

Anyway will be interesting, but I guess injuries will come into play. If it was my call, I would be playing Benji two games a month and Reynolds two. A horses for courses thing and giving some old bodies some rest

Trollhammaren

Juniors
My major concern for 2019 is we will have Reynolds, Benji, Farah and Liddle all on our books. So if they are all fit and ready to go how do you pick your team. You could never in your wildest dreams carry a backup no9 and a back up no 6 on your bench. Okay Reynolds at a pinch becomes the back up for both positions, so than Liddle misses out. From what I saw at the back end of this season, we need Farah, but we also need Liddle’s speed.

Anyway will be interesting, but I guess injuries will come into play. If it was my call, I would be playing Benji two games a month and Reynolds two. A horses for courses thing and giving some old bodies some rest

If Reynolds is fit and firing then Benji should be in reggies. I like the guy a lot but he, to quote a RL demigod, 'is looking tired'.

You can probably play both Liddle and Farah, as was the case the last few games of the season.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'll give this another shot because I'm filling in time at work:-

1. Mbye - class player that we need to build around.
2. Nofoaluma - decent NRL winger with great hit-ups and he can finish a try.
3. Marsters - could be a dud or could come on. He needs to work on his game and especially his defence.
4. Mimerovski - Fonua is too slow to defend here. Hopefully this kid can fill this role over the season and do a good job. Way too early to state if he will be a success or not. This is a problem area for us.
5. Thompson - small winger but he is quality.
6. Josh Reynolds - I don't know how he will go. Benji is a good back-up.
7. Luke Brooks - class player that we need to build around
8. Packer - needs to improve but he can do the job.
9. Liddle - Farah is a good back-up.
10. Matulino - I reckon he was coming good last season. Doesn't really have bad games and makes his tackles and gets meters. Maybe he needs to be used better.
11. Lawrence - this season he was a gun. Needs to be managed so he isn't worn out during the year.
12. Matterson - I like the look of him. I reckon he will be a success. This has been a problem area for us.
13. Taylor - he is quality but he is also a small backrower who doesn't have the impact of players like Radley or Cameron Murray.

14. Mikaele - impact prop
15. Twal - replacement prop
16. Chee-Kam - Impact player - he can come on and he runs it hard with pace and footwork. Can play on the edge or replace Taylor to provide some impact up the middle.
17. Probably Farah because Liddle won't make it throughout the season and probably not even 80 minutes but we should be playing a forward here. I'd like to see Aloiai come on here but he needs to pick up his game.

Other options:-

1. Fonua - I reckon he is too slow in the centres or on the wing plus his defence including taking the high ball is poor. He is though a beast. Maybe play him as an impact middle player. Decent back-up
2. Benji - I reckon Reynolds is a better player but he can be a quality back-up. He can still win games but he looks busted to me.
3. Aloiai - potentially a good middle player. Needs a lot of work defensively and on his hands. Probably one of our only forwards who can hit it up hard though.
4. Eisenhuth - he can play but he is just solid. He will probably make the team ahead of Twal, Mikaele and Aloiai.
5. Garner - he looks good to me but he is probably the most likely guy to drop out of the top team on the edge.

Areas to improve:-

1. Our middle forwards. Do we keep playing ET as a small lock forward. Is that possible when Packer especially is struggling to make metres. I don't think we can continue to expect our backs to do all the hard hit-ups. Do we play Matterson as lock forward to get him involved and play Garner, Chee-Kam or ET on the right edge.
2. Left Centre

That team is actually decent but it lacks some class especially in the outside backs and some power in the forwards.

Shredder

Juniors
I reckon your on point with that team 05.

We are still missing a forward - and we are losing a significant amount of depth (again) this year.

T-Rex looking for a job...

macnaz

Staff member
Perhaps have a look for a mad pommy forward with a bit of mongrel. Im sure there must be a few esl fringe players looking for a chance to impress.
The life style and opportunities in Australia would be a great incentive alone without having to pay a fortune.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Perhaps have a look for a mad pommy forward with a bit of mongrel. Im sure there must be a few esl fringe players looking for a chance to impress.
The life style and opportunities in Australia would be a great incentive alone without having to pay a fortune.

You mean like this bloke!!!

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I reckon your on point with that team 05.

We are still missing a forward - and we are losing a significant amount of depth (again) this year.

T-Rex looking for a job...

If we were looking at Parramatta players I think Tepai Moeroa and Bevan French could really bring something to WT though I know both are under contract til end of next season. After disappointing in 2018, maybe the Eels would be happy to shop them around?

https://www.zerotackle.com/bevan-french-exploring-opportunities-elsewhere-33311/

This might be unpopular but I think Mbye's best position is left centre. I think Bevan French could be anything at No. 1 if given a chance and there are plenty of guys in front of him at the Eels.

magpie_man

Juniors
If we were looking at Parramatta players I think Tepai Moeroa and Bevan French could really bring something to WT though I know both are under contract til end of next season. After disappointing in 2018, maybe the Eels would be happy to shop them around?

https://www.nospam21.com/bevan-french-exploring-opportunities-elsewhere-33311/

This might be unpopular but I think Mbye's best position is left centre. I think Bevan French could be anything at No. 1 if given a chance and there are plenty of guys in front of him at the Eels.

We could do a lot worse than those two.

Tiger05

First Grade
I met Bevan French recently buying a cup of coffee at Macca's. He was a nice guy. I'm not sure if we need him though because I reckon Mbye is better. Still Mbye could fit into lots of spots.

magpie_man

Juniors
Yeah, I've met him a few times too; he seems like a sensible young fella.
I think he's somewhat like Luke Burt in the sense that he's very good at fullback but not so good on the wing and, as you said, we already have a better fullback in Mbye.