What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Teams Starting Line-up week one 2010

The worst backline (1-5) would have to be Cronulla easily with the Cowboys and Panthers not too far behind.

Gordon would not walk into every side's 17 either.

I agree with this.

Even with Todd Carney thrown into the mix, you'd have to add the Roosters to that lot as well. I can't understand why Smith would play him at fullback. For mine, it seems an absolute lay down that he should be playing 6 and Anasta lock. Especially with the loss of Fitzy this year.

Looking at all these teams, a few things I noticed.

1. The Broncos have just about the worst forward pack they have ever had.

2. Parramatta have one of the most balanced teams (on paper) I've seen in recent times. They really have very few weaknesses.

3. For all the talk about the Tigers, they really don't look much better on paper then they were last year.

4. Gidley is going to have to play his ring off if the Knights are going to be contenders this year. He really is just about the only standout player in that side. If he is injured for any length of time this year then the Knights will win the spoon. I guess you could say that about a few other sides as well but its amusing that after trying for so long to shirk the "one player team" tag, the Knights are essentially back there again.

Johns Magic

Referee
4. Gidley is going to have to play his ring off if the Knights are going to be contenders this year. He really is just about the only standout player in that side. If he is injured for any length of time this year then the Knights will win the spoon. I guess you could say that about a few other sides as well but its amusing that after trying for so long to shirk the "one player team" tag, the Knights are essentially back there again.

Look, I'm not one to care at all about opposition fans writing us off, but Gidley being our one-man team? It was definitely the case with Johns, but Gidley???

He had a sh*t year in 2009 and we finished 7th. What basis at all do you have for that last sentence? And please don't say "um, I looked at their names on a piece of paper and he was the only rep player".

I'm genuinely interested because it can't at all be based on our past record without him. The bloke's no Andrew Johns. He gets slammed left, right and centre on this forum by other fans for being sh*t.

It just seems like an odd comment.

footy1

Juniors
With Jake Friend gone, and the word that Todd Carney will be playing fullback, this is most likely:

1. Todd Carney
2. Anthony Minichiello
3. Sam Perrett
4. Phil Graham
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Braith Anasta
7. Mitchell Pearce
8. Jason Ryles
9. James Aubusson
10. Lopini Paea
11. Anthony Cherrington
12. Nate Myles
13. Mitchell Aubusson

14. Ben Jones
15. Tom Symonds
16. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
17. Frank-Paul Nuuausala

Reserves: Luke Towers, Brad Takairangi, Kane Linnett, Nick Kouparitsas, Mose Masoe, Sonny Tuigamala, Steve Naughton, Daniel Conn, Aiden Guerra, Liam Foran (dual contract with Jets), Jason Baitieri (dual contract with Jets), Tinirau Arona (dual contract with Jets), Johnathon Ford (dual contract with Jets), Ryan Williamson (NYC), Boyd Cordner (NYC), Cheyse Blair (NYC), Joseph Leilua (NYC), Brad Murray (NYC), JP Du Plessis (NYC)

Other players signed to Newtown Jets, that aren't in the Roosters squad but can be made available for selection if necessary, are:

Khalid Deeb, Ray Moujalli, James Koloamatangi, Chris Tuatura, Tu'u Maori, Byron Ford, Tim Weyman, Keith Peters, Dylan Sharp, Troy Savage, Charlie Leaeno, Russell Aitken, Charlie Hereketokutoku, Nick Doig, Drew Lanston, Guy Lanston, Ben Darcy, Paul Kiely, Jason Wells, Justin Coveney, Brad Barrett, Steve Morris, Dean Lockhart, Anaru Grant, Chris Afamasaga, Ryan Verlinden and Brett Fitzpatrick.

Newtown Jets were also linked to Daniel Fepuleai, however he isn't on the website.

Daniel Fepulaei is training with the Roosters fulltime squad. That might be why he hasn't appeared on their website. I really think he can be in with a shot for the hooker position with Jake Friend now gone.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Well why would you take a winger off?
You wouldn't. Although out of the Top 10 Minutes Played in 2009 there were only two wingers and one was Winterstein [the other was Burt].

I just saying to Big Pete that Winterstein is one of Henjak's favourites and will most probably be in the starting 17 come Round 01 ahead of Steve Michaels

Johns Magic

Referee
You wouldn't. Although out of the Top 10 Minutes Played in 2009 there were only two wingers and one was Winterstein [the other was Burt].

I just saying to Big Pete that Winterstein is one of Henjak's favourites and will most probably be in the starting 17 come Round 01 ahead of Steve Michaels

Oh I agree with what you're saying, but I think games he was selected for is a better indicator than exact minutes played. Wingers always play 80 minutes.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Oh I agree with what you're saying, but I think games he was selected for is a better indicator than exact minutes played. Wingers always play 80 minutes.
Only 2 players played all the games [27] for the Broncos and that was Winterstein and Corey Parker who both played only one position through out last season, Wing and Lock for all the season respectively and both ranked in the Top 10 of Minutes Played in 2009.

To me, they will be starting at both Wing and Lock for Round 01 2010.

Big Pete

Referee
I get the feeling Henjak rates Kemp above Winterstein and given the number of oppurtinities he gave Michaels I believe he'd do anything to compliment his game, which is why he'd select Michaels' old house mate.

Look, I'm not one to care at all about opposition fans writing us off, but Gidley being our one-man team? It was definitely the case with Johns, but Gidley???

He had a sh*t year in 2009 and we finished 7th. What basis at all do you have for that last sentence? And please don't say "um, I looked at their names on a piece of paper and he was the only rep player".

I'm genuinely interested because it can't at all be based on our past record without him. The bloke's no Andrew Johns. He gets slammed left, right and centre on this forum by other fans for being sh*t.

It just seems like an odd comment.

I'm not sure how you can say he had a sh*t year in 2009? Imo his only shockers were in Origin. Whenever he pulled on the Knights jumper he played out of his skin.

I make that comment because towards the back end of the year after Smith had pulled the pin, he was the only bloke in the Knights team that didn't throw in the towel. For most of last season the Knights seemed to really put in for each other until the coach decided to head to the Roosters and then to a man, just about every other Knights player dropped their bundle except for Gidley.

There are a number of great players in the Knights team. I really rate Taia and De Gois plus I think Mullen and Durea go alright together as a halves combo. But Gidley is the glue that holds that side together. When he is on song and chiming into the backline the Knights look 1000 times more dangerous and he is the type of player who inspires those around him with his effort.

I think the difference between the Knights having a bad to reasonable year or a good year will be how well Gidley plays. If he were to be injured long term early on this year i'd pencil the Knights in for the spoon because I have no faith in Stone being able to motivate the team and reckon that Gidley is the one who holds the key in that area. Just my opinion. You are welcome to refute or disagree.

perverse

Referee
compared to his '08... gidleys 09 was absolute rubbish.

our team will only lose gidleys work ethic in his absence. we have capable substitutes in most positions. that is the legacy brian smith left us with. our roster has been marginally strengthen this year with the absence of danny wicks and the addition of evarn tuimivave... so i can't really see us going too far backwards. we will only go forwards if our best props stay healthy and our halves are settled.

macavity

Referee
I'm not sure how you can say he had a sh*t year in 2009? Imo his only shockers were in Origin. Whenever he pulled on the Knights jumper he played out of his skin.

He was the most predictable player in the comp in 2009, and stifled a hell of a lot of our play.

And I am a big fan of his....

There are a number of great players in the Knights team. I really rate Taia and De Gois plus I think Mullen and Durea go alright together as a halves combo.

IMO our halves are our weakness... Mullen/Dureau do compliment each other much better in attack than Mullen/Rodgers - but Dureau's defence (and speed) is a worry, whereas Rodgers has both.

But Gidley is the glue that holds that side together. When he is on song and chiming into the backline the Knights look 1000 times more dangerous and he is the type of player who inspires those around him with his effort.

inspiring? sure.

dangerous? chiming? he gets shut down, and stifles our play, way way too much. We look much better when he doesnt try to play make (read: crab across field) and just runs lines for our real playmakers and sniffs around in support. I would go so far as to say he is more valuable without the ball than with it.

I think the difference between the Knights having a bad to reasonable year or a good year will be how well Gidley plays.

A difference, but THE difference? There are so many variables - injuries mainly, but the form of pretty much every key player too. the loss of one of them we can cover, but losing Mullo or De Gois will hurt us probably worse than losing Gids.

I would say Mullen is our key, if I had to pick one. He needs to step up.

I have no faith in Stone being able to motivate the team

What do you base your opinion of Stone on?

Fair enough Mac. You have your opinion, I have mine. I don't agree with a lot of things said about my team either.

What do you base your opinion of Stone on?

Inexperience. Imo it takes a coach at least 12 months to find the keys to motivating a side. He'll be as green as grass this year. Most new coaches are, in their first full season. Usually when a coach is installed towards the end of the year, a team finds something for them first up. The following year when the side gets into the week to week grind and goes through a bit of a slump comes the real test of a new coach. Besides, there is a lot of uncertainty at the Knights at the moment. It takes a great coach to keep a teams minds off any boardroom drama and on the job at hand.

I like Stone, I think he will make a good coach eventually but I reckon he'll have a tough year this year.

mongoose

Coach
I dont think Tongue is our best option at hooker but thats where DF will use him for at least the 1st 20min. Waddell will hopefully develop into an 80min player as the season unfolds.
I too like Monas on the wing.

13.Miller ( he has to be in the team , a must )
12.TLL
11.Harrison
10.Tilse
9.Tongue
8.Shilington

14.J Thompson
15.Waddell
16.Logan
17.T Thompson

I really like the look of our forward pack.

As with most teams our halves are the biggest worry.